|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
(Hebrews tsur), employed as a symbol of God in the Old Testament (1 Samuel 2:2; 2 Samuel 22:3; Isaiah 17:10; Psalm 28:1; 31:2, 3; 89:26; 95:1); also in the New Testament (Matthew 16:18; Romans 9:33; 1 Corinthians 10:4). In Dan. 2:45 the Chaldaic form of the Hebrew word is translated "mountain." It ought to be translated "rock," as in Habakkuk 1:12 in the Revised Version. The "rock" from which the stone is cut there signifies the divine origin of Christ. (see STONE.)
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) See Roc.
2. (n.) A distaff used in spinning; the staff or frame about which flax is arranged, and from which the thread is drawn in spinning.
3. (n.) A large concreted mass of stony material; a large fixed stone or crag. See Stone.
4. (n.) Any natural deposit forming a part of the earth's crust, whether consolidated or not, including sand, earth, clay, etc., when in natural beds.
5. (n.) That which resembles a rock in firmness; a defense; a support; a refuge.
6. (n.) Fig.: Anything which causes a disaster or wreck resembling the wreck of a vessel upon a rock.
7. (n.) The striped bass. See under Bass.
8. (v. t.) To cause to sway backward and forward, as a body resting on a support beneath; as, to rock a cradle or chair; to cause to vibrate; to cause to reel or totter.
9. (v. t.) To move as in a cradle; hence, to put to sleep by rocking; to still; to quiet.
10. (v. i.) To move or be moved backward and forward; to be violently agitated; to reel; to totter.
11. (v. i.) To roll or sway backward and forward upon a support; as, to rock in a rocking-chair.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
AGES, ROCK OF
Applied to Yahweh as an encouragement for trust (Isaiah 26:4 the Revised Version, margin; the King James Version "everlasting strength").
rok ((1) cela`; (2) tsur (3) challamish, "flint"; compare Arabic khalanbus, "flint"; (4) kephim (Job 30:6 Jeremiah 4:29); compare Kephas, "Cephas" = Petros, "Peter" (John 1:42 the King James Version and the Revised Version margin); (5) petra):
Tsur and cela` are the words most often found, and there is no well-defined distinction between them. They are frequently coupled together in the parallelism which is characteristic of the Hebrew writers: e.g.
"Be thou to me a strong rock (tsur),
A house of defense to save me.
For thou art my rock (tsela) and my fortress"
(Psalm 31:2, 3).
"He clave rocks (tsur) in the wilderness,
And gave them drink abundantly as out of the depths.
He brought streams also out of the rock (sela),
And caused waters to run down like rivers"
(Psalm 78:15, 16).
It is plain here that the two words are used for the sake of variety, without any clear difference of meaning. Even challamish (translated "flint") is used in the same way with tsur in Psalm 114:8:
"Who turned the rock (tsur) into a pool of water;
The flint (callamish) into a fountain of waters."
(1) Some of the most striking and beautiful imagery of the Bible is based upon the rocks. They are a symbol of God: "Yahweh is my rock, and my fortress" (2 Samuel 22:2 Psalm 18:2; Psalm 71:3); "God, the rock of my salvation" (2 Samuel 22:47; compare Psalm 62:2, 7; Psalm 89:26); "my God the rock of my refuge" (Psalm 94:22); "the rock of thy strength" (Isaiah 17:10); "Lead me to the rock that is higher than I" (Psalm 61:2); repeatedly in the song of Moses (Deuteronomy 32:3, 4, 18, 30, 31; compare 2 Samuel 22:32). Paul applies the rock smitten in the wilderness (Exodus 17:6 Numbers 20:11) to Christ as the source of living water for spiritual refreshment (1 Corinthians 10:4).
(2) The rocks are a refuge, both figuratively and literally (Jeremiah 48:28 Songs 2:14); "The rocks are a refuge for the conies" (Psalm 104:18). Many a traveler in Palestine has felt the refreshment of "the shade of a great rock in a weary land" (Isaiah 32:2). A very different idea is expressed in Isaiah 8:14, "And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offense" (compare Romans 9:33 1 Peter 2:8).
(3) The rock is a symbol of hardness (Jeremiah 5:3; compare Isaiah 50:7). Therefore, the breaking of the rock exemplifies the power of God (Jeremiah 23:29; compare 1 Kings 19:11). The rock is also a symbol of that which endures, "Oh that they.... were graven in the rock for ever!" (Job 19:23, 24). A rock was an appropriate place for offering a sacrifice (Judges 6:20; Judges 13:19). The central feature of the Mosque of `Umar in Jerusalem is Qubbat-uc-Cakhrat, the "dome of the rock." The rock or cakhrat under the dome is thought to be the site of Solomon's altar of burnt offering, and further is thought to be the site of the threshing-floor of Araunah the Jebusite which David purchased to build an altar to Yahweh.
3. Kinds of Rock:
(1) The principal rock of Palestine and Syria is limestone of which there are many varieties, differing in color, texture, hardness and degrees of impurity, some of the limestone having considerable admixtures of clay or sand. Some of the harder kinds are very dense and break with a conchoidal fracture similar to the fracture of flint. In rocks which have for ages been exposed to atmospheric agencies, erosion has produced striking and highly picturesque forms. Nodules and layers of flint are of frequent occurrence in the limestone.
(2) Limestone is the only rock of Western Palestine, with the exception of some local outpourings of basaltic rock and with the further exception of a light-brown, porous, partly calcareous sandstone, which is found at intervals along the coast. This last is a superficial deposit of Quaternary or recent age, and is of aeolian origin. That is, it consists of dune sands which have solidified under the influence of atmospheric agencies. This is very exceptional, nearly all stratified rocks having originated as beds of sand or mud in the bottom of the sea.
(3) In Sinai, Edom, Moab, Lebanon and Anti-Lebanon is found the Nubian sandstone, a silicious sandstone which, at least in the North, is of middle or lower Cretaceous age. In the South, the lower strata of this formation seem to be paleozoic. Most of it is not sufficiently coherent to make good building stone, though some of its strata are very firm and are even used for millstones. In some places it is so incoherent or friable that it is easily dug with the pick, the grains falling apart and forming sand that can be used in mortar. In color the Nubian sandstone is on the whole dark reddish brown, but locally it shows great variation, from white through yellow and red to black. In places it also has tints of blue. The celebrated rock tombs and temples of Petra are carved in this stone.
(4) Extensive areas of the northern part of Eastern Palestine are covered with igneous rock. In the Jaulan Southeast of Mt. Hermon, this has been for ages exposed to the atmosphere and has formed superficially a rich dark soil. Further Southeast is the Leja' (Arabic "refuge"), a wild tract covered with a deposit of lava which is geologically recent, and which, while probably earlier than man, is still but little affected by the atmosphere. It is with difficulty traversed and frequently furnishes an asylum to outlaws.
See CRAG; FLINT; GEOLOGY OF PALESTINE; LIME.
Alfred Ely Day
ROCK OF AGES
See AGES, ROCK OF; ISAIAH, VII.
(pneumatike petra): Having a spiritual significance: supernatural, manifesting the power of the Divine Spirit; allegorically applied to Christ as fulfilling the type in the smitten rock in the desert, from which water miraculously burst forth to nourish the Israelites. A tradition current among the Jews affirms that this rock followed the people in their journeyings and gave forth a living stream for their supply. Paul made this ever-flowing rock a beautiful and accurate symbol of Christ: "The rock was Christ" (1 Corinthians 10:4).
Without the characterizing word "spiritual," this figurative term, with the same significance, is common to the Scriptures; applied
(1) to Yahweh, God: "Rock of his salvation," "their rock is not as our Rock" (Deuteronomy 32:15, 31); "Yahweh is my rock" (Psalm 18:2; compare Isaiah 26:4; Isaiah 32:2 1 Samuel 2:2 2 Samuel 22:2);
(2) to the foundation-stone of Christian confession and testimony (Matthew 16:18; compare Ephesians 2:20 1 Corinthians 3:11 1 Peter 2:6-8), and thus to Christ Himself;
(3) in Christian hymnology to Jesus crucified and spear-pierced: "Rock of ages, cleft for me."
Dwight M. Pratt
RIMMON, ROCK OF
See RIMMON, (1).
Rock (176 Occurrences)
Matthew 7:24 "Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 7:25 The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn't fall, for it was founded on the rock. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 16:18 I also tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my assembly, and the gates of Hades (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 27:60 and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had cut out in the rock, and he rolled a great stone to the door of the tomb, and departed. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Mark 15:46 He bought a linen cloth, and taking him down, wound him in the linen cloth, and laid him in a tomb which had been cut out of a rock. He rolled a stone against the door of the tomb. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 6:48 He is like a man building a house, who dug and went deep, and laid a foundation on the rock. When a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it was founded on the rock. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 8:6 Other seed fell on the rock, and as soon as it grew, it withered away, because it had no moisture. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 8:13 Those on the rock are they who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; but these have no root, who believe for a while, then fall away in time of temptation. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 23:53 Then, taking it down, he wrapped it in a linen sheet and laid it in a tomb in the rock, where no one else had yet been put. (WEY BBE DBY NAS RSV NIV)
John 1:42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon, son of John: you shall be called Cephas" --that is to say, Peter (or 'Rock') (WEY YLT)
John 11:38 So Jesus, deeply troubled in heart, came to the place of the dead. It was a hole in the rock, and a stone was over the opening. (BBE)
John 20:4 They went running together, and the other disciple got in front of Peter and came first to the hole in the rock; (BBE)
John 20:6 Then Simon Peter came after him and went into the hole in the rock; and he saw the linen bands on the earth, (BBE)
John 20:11 But Mary was still there outside the hole in the rock, weeping; and while she was weeping and looking into the hole, (BBE)
Romans 9:33 even as it is written, "Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and a rock of offense; and no one who believes in him will be disappointed." (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Corinthians 10:4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of a spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Peter 2:8 and, "a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense." For they stumble at the word, being disobedient, to which also they were appointed. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Genesis 19:30 Then Lot went up out of Zoar to the mountain, and was living there with his two daughters, for fear kept him from living in Zoar: and he and his daughters made their living-place in a hole in the rock. (BBE)
Genesis 23:9 That he will give me the hollow in the rock named Machpelah, which is his property at the end of his field; let him give it to me for its full price as a resting-place for my dead among you. (BBE)
Genesis 23:11 No, my lord, I will give you the field with the hollow in the rock; before all the children of my people will I give it to you for a resting-place for your dead. (BBE)
Genesis 23:17 So Ephron's field at Machpelah near Mamre, with the hollow in the rock and all the trees in the field and round it, (BBE)
Genesis 23:19 Then Abraham put Sarah his wife to rest in the hollow rock in the field of Machpelah near Mamre, that is, Hebron in the land of Canaan. (BBE)
Genesis 23:20 And the field and the hollow rock were handed over to Abraham as his property by the children of Heth. (BBE)
Genesis 25:9 And Isaac and Ishmael, his sons, put him to rest in the hollow rock of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron, the son of Zohar the Hittite, near Mamre; (BBE)
Genesis 49:24 But his bow remained strong. The arms of his hands were made strong, by the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, (from there is the shepherd, the stone of Israel), (See RSV NIV)
Genesis 49:29 And he gave orders to them, saying, Put me to rest with my people and with my fathers, in the hollow of the rock in the field of Ephron the Hittite, (BBE)
Genesis 49:30 In the rock in the field of Machpelah, near Mamre in the land of Canaan, which Abraham got from Ephron the Hittite, to be his resting-place. (BBE)
Genesis 49:32 In the rock in the field which was got for a price from the people of Heth. (BBE)
Genesis 50:13 For they took him into the land of Canaan and put him to rest in the hollow rock in the field of Machpelah, which Abraham got with the field, for a resting-place, from Ephron the Hittite at Mamre. (BBE)
Exodus 17:6 Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock in Horeb. You shall strike the rock, and water will come out of it, that the people may drink." Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 33:21 Yahweh also said, "Behold, there is a place by me, and you shall stand on the rock. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 33:22 It will happen, while my glory passes by, that I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and will cover you with my hand until I have passed by; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 11:5 And the coney, because he cheweth the cud but parteth not the hoof, he is unclean unto you. (See JPS BBE DBY RSV)
Numbers 20:8 "Take the rod, and assemble the congregation, you, and Aaron your brother, and speak to the rock before their eyes, that it give forth its water; and you shall bring forth to them water out of the rock; so you shall give the congregation and their livestock drink." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Numbers 20:10 Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly together before the rock, and he said to them, "Hear now, you rebels; shall we bring you water out of this rock for you?" (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Numbers 20:11 Moses lifted up his hand, and struck the rock with his rod twice: and water came forth abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Numbers 24:21 He looked at the Kenite, and took up his parable, and said, "Your dwelling place is strong. Your nest is set in the rock. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 8:15 who led you through the great and terrible wilderness, in which were fiery serpents and scorpions, and thirsty ground where there was no water; who brought you forth water out of the rock of flint; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 14:7 Nevertheless these ye shall not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that have the hoof cloven: the camel, and the hare, and the coney; because they chew the cud but part not the hoof, they are unclean unto you. (See JPS DBY RSV)
Deuteronomy 32:4 The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice: a God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and right is he. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 32:13 He made him ride on the high places of the earth. He ate the increase of the field. He caused him to suck honey out of the rock, oil out of the flinty rock; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 32:15 But Jeshurun grew fat, and kicked. You have grown fat. You have grown thick. You have become sleek. Then he forsook God who made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 32:18 Of the Rock who became your father, you are unmindful, and have forgotten God who gave you birth. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 32:30 How could one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, and Yahweh had delivered them up? (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 32:31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 32:37 He will say, "Where are their gods, The rock in which they took refuge; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Joshua 10:16 But these five kings went in flight secretly to a hole in the rock at Makkedah. (BBE)
Joshua 10:17 And word was given to Joshua that the five kings had been taken in a hole in the rock at Makkedah. (BBE)
Joshua 10:22 Then Joshua said, Take away the stones from the mouth of the hole in the rock, and make those five kings come out to me. (BBE)
Judges 1:36 The border of the Amorites was from the ascent of Akrabbim, from the rock, and upward. (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT)
Judges 6:20 The angel of God said to him, "Take the meat and the unleavened cakes, and lay them on this rock, and pour out the broth." He did so. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 6:21 Then the angel of Yahweh stretched out the end of the staff that was in his hand, and touched the meat and the unleavened cakes; and fire went up out of the rock, and consumed the meat and the unleavened cakes; and the angel of Yahweh departed out of his sight. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 6:26 And build an altar unto the LORD thy God upon the top of this rock, in the ordered place, and take the second bullock, and offer a burnt sacrifice with the wood of the grove which thou shalt cut down. (KJV BBE WBS)
Judges 7:25 They took the two princes of Midian, Oreb and Zeeb; and they killed Oreb at the rock of Oreb, and Zeeb they killed at the winepress of Zeeb, and pursued Midian: and they brought the heads of Oreb and Zeeb to Gideon beyond the Jordan. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 13:19 So Manoah took the young goat with the meal offering, and offered it on the rock to Yahweh: and the angel did wondrously, and Manoah and his wife looked on. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 15:8 He struck them hip and thigh with a great slaughter: and he went down and lived in the cleft of the rock of Etam. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 15:11 Then three thousand men of Judah went down to the cleft of the rock of Etam, and said to Samson, "Don't you know that the Philistines are rulers over us? What then is this that you have done to us?" He said to them, "As they did to me, so have I done to them." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 15:13 They spoke to him, saying, "No; but we will bind you fast, and deliver you into their hand; but surely we will not kill you." They bound him with two new ropes, and brought him up from the rock. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 15:19 Then God made a crack in the hollow rock in Lehi and water came out of it; and after drinking, his spirit came back to him and he was strong again; so that place was named En-hakkore; it is in Lehi to this day. (BBE)
Judges 20:45 They turned and fled toward the wilderness to the rock of Rimmon: and they gleaned of them in the highways five thousand men, and followed hard after them to Gidom, and struck of them two thousand men. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 20:47 But six hundred men turned and fled toward the wilderness to the rock of Rimmon, and abode in the rock of Rimmon four months. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 21:13 The whole congregation sent and spoke to the children of Benjamin who were in the rock of Rimmon, and proclaimed peace to them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 2:2 There is no one as holy as Yahweh, For there is no one besides you, nor is there any rock like our God. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 6:14 The cart came into the field of Joshua of Beth Shemesh, and stood there, where there was a great stone: and they split the wood of the cart, and offered up the cows for a burnt offering to Yahweh. (See NIV)
1 Samuel 6:15 The Levites took down the ark of Yahweh, and the coffer that was with it, in which the jewels of gold were, and put them on the great stone: and the men of Beth Shemesh offered burnt offerings and sacrificed sacrifices the same day to Yahweh. (See NIV)
1 Samuel 6:18 and the golden mice, according to the number of all the cities of the Philistines belonging to the five lords, both of fortified cities and of country villages, even to the great stone, whereon they set down the ark of Yahweh, which stone remains to this day in the field of Joshua of Beth Shemesh. (See NIV)
1 Samuel 14:4 Between the passes, by which Jonathan sought to go over to the Philistines' garrison, there was a rocky crag on the one side, and a rocky crag on the other side: and the name of the one was Bozez, and the name of the other Seneh. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
1 Samuel 14:5 The one rock went up on the north in front of Michmash and the other on the south in front of Geba. (BBE)
1 Samuel 23:25 Saul and his men went to seek him. When David was told, he went down to the rock, and stayed in the wilderness of Maon. When Saul heard that, he pursued after David in the wilderness of Maon. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 23:28 And Saul turneth back from pursuing after David, and goeth to meet the Philistines, therefore they have called that place 'The Rock of Divisions.' (YLT NAS RSV)
1 Samuel 24:3 And on the way he came to a place where sheep were kept, where there was a hollow in the rock; and Saul went in for a private purpose. Now David and his men were in the deepest part of the hollow. (BBE)
1 Samuel 24:8 And after that David came out of the hollow rock, and crying after Saul said, My lord the king. And when Saul gave a look back, David went down on his face and gave him honour. (BBE)
2 Samuel 21:10 Rizpah the daughter of Aiah took sackcloth, and spread it for her on the rock, from the beginning of harvest until water was poured on them from the sky. She allowed neither the birds of the sky to rest on them by day, nor the animals of the field by night. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 22:2 and he said, "Yahweh is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, even mine; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 22:3 God, my rock, in him I will take refuge; my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge. My savior, you save me from violence. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 22:32 For who is God, besides Yahweh? Who is a rock, besides our God? (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 22:47 Yahweh lives! Blessed be my rock! Exalted be God, the rock of my salvation, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 23:3 The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spoke to me,'One who rules over men righteously, who rules in the fear of God, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Kings 18:4 For when Jezebel was cutting off the prophets of the Lord, Obadiah took a hundred of them, and kept them secretly in a hole in the rock, fifty at a time, and gave them bread and water.) (BBE)
1 Kings 18:13 Has my lord not had word of what I did when Jezebel was putting the Lord's prophets to death? how I kept a hundred of them in a secret hole in the rock, fifty at a time, and gave them bread and water? (BBE)
1 Kings 19:9 And there he went into a hole in the rock for the night; then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, What are you doing here, Elijah? (BBE)
1 Chronicles 11:15 Three of the thirty chief men went down to the rock to David, into the cave of Adullam; and the army of the Philistines were encamped in the valley of Rephaim. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Chronicles 25:12 other ten thousand did the children of Judah carry away alive, and brought them to the top of the rock, and cast them down from the top of the rock, so that they all were broken in pieces. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE WBS YLT RSV)
Nehemiah 9:15 and gave them bread from the sky for their hunger, and brought forth water for them out of the rock for their thirst, and commanded those who they should go in to possess the land which you had sworn to give them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Nehemiah 9:25 And they took walled towns and a fat land, and became the owners of houses full of all good things, water-holes cut in the rock, vine-gardens and olive-gardens and a wealth of fruit-trees: so they had food enough and became fat, and had joy in the good you gave them. (BBE)
Job 8:17 His roots are wrapped around the rock pile. He sees the place of stones. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Job 14:18 "But the mountain falling comes to nothing. The rock is removed out of its place; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 18:4 You who tear yourself in your anger, shall the earth be forsaken for you? Or shall the rock be removed out of its place? (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 19:24 That with an iron pen and lead they were engraved in the rock forever! (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 22:24 And put your gold in the dust, even your gold of Ophir among the rocks of the valleys; (Root in BBE YLT NIV)
Job 24:8 They are wet with the showers of the mountains, and embrace the rock for lack of a shelter. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 28:2 Iron is taken out of the earth, and copper is smelted out of the ore. (See NAS)
Job 28:3 Man sets an end to darkness, and searches out, to the furthest bound, the stones of obscurity and of thick darkness. (See NAS)
Job 28:9 He puts forth his hand on the flinty rock, and he overturns the mountains by the roots. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS RSV NIV)
Job 28:10 He cuts out channels among the rocks. His eye sees every precious thing. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 29:6 when my steps were washed with butter, and the rock poured out streams of oil for me, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 39:1 Knowest thou the time when the wild goats of the rock bring forth? or canst thou mark when the hinds do calve? (KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT)
Job 39:28 She dwelleth and abideth on the rock, upon the crag of the rock, and the strong place. (KJV JPS BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 41:24 His heart is as firm as a stone, yes, firm as the lower millstone. (See NIV)
Psalms 18:2 Yahweh is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)