|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (p. p.) of Run.
2. (p. p.) of Run.
3. (v.) To move, proceed, advance, pass, go, come, etc., swiftly, smoothly, or with quick action; -- said of things animate or inanimate. Hence, to flow, glide, or roll onward, as a stream, a snake, a wagon, etc.; to move by quicker action than in walking, as a person, a horse, a dog.
4. (v.) To go swiftly; to pass at a swift pace; to hasten.
5. (v.) To flee, as from fear or danger.
6. (v.) To steal off; to depart secretly.
7. (v.) To contend in a race; hence, to enter into a contest; to become a candidate; as, to run for Congress.
8. (v.) To pass from one state or condition to another; to come into a certain condition; -- often with in or into; as, to run into evil practices; to run in debt.
9. (v.) To exert continuous activity; to proceed; as, to run through life; to run in a circle.
10. (v.) To pass or go quickly in thought or conversation; as, to run from one subject to another.
11. (v.) To discuss; to continue to think or speak about something; -- with on.
12. (v.) To make numerous drafts or demands for payment, as upon a bank; -- with on.
13. (v.) To creep, as serpents.
14. (v.) To flow, as a liquid; to ascend or descend; to course; as, rivers run to the sea; sap runs up in the spring; her blood ran cold.
15. (v.) To proceed along a surface; to extend; to spread.
16. (v.) To become fluid; to melt; to fuse.
17. (v.) To turn, as a wheel; to revolve on an axis or pivot; as, a wheel runs swiftly round.
18. (v.) To travel; to make progress; to be moved by mechanical means; to go; as, the steamboat runs regularly to Albany; the train runs to Chicago.
19. (v.) To extend; to reach; as, the road runs from Philadelphia to New York; the memory of man runneth not to the contrary.
20. (v.) To go back and forth from place to place; to ply; as, the stage runs between the hotel and the station.
21. (v.) To make progress; to proceed; to pass.
22. (v.) To continue in operation; to be kept in action or motion; as, this engine runs night and day; the mill runs six days in the week.
23. (v.) To have a course or direction; as, a line runs east and west.
24. (v.) To be in form thus, as a combination of words.
25. (v.) To be popularly known; to be generally received.
26. (v.) To have growth or development; as, boys and girls run up rapidly.
27. (v.) To tend, as to an effect or consequence; to incline.
28. (v.) To spread and blend together; to unite; as, colors run in washing.
29. (v.) To have a legal course; to be attached; to continue in force, effect, or operation; to follow; to go in company; as, certain covenants run with the land.
30. (v.) To continue without falling due; to hold good; as, a note has thirty days to run.
31. (v.) To discharge pus or other matter; as, an ulcer runs.
32. (v.) To be played on the stage a number of successive days or nights; as, the piece ran for six months.
33. (v.) To sail before the wind, in distinction from reaching or sailing closehauled; -- said of vessels.
34. (a.) Specifically, of a horse: To move rapidly in a gait in which each leg acts in turn as a propeller and a supporter, and in which for an instant all the limbs are gathered in the air under the body.
35. (v.) To move rapidly by springing steps so that there is an instant in each step when neither foot touches the ground; -- so distinguished from walking in athletic competition.
36. (v. t.) To cause to run (in the various senses of Run, v. i.); as, to run a horse; to run a stage; to run a machine; to run a rope through a block.
37. (v. i.) To pursue in thought; to carry in contemplation.
38. (v. i.) To cause to enter; to thrust; as, to run a sword into or through the body; to run a nail into the foot.
39. (v. i.) To drive or force; to cause, or permit, to be driven.
40. (v. i.) To fuse; to shape; to mold; to cast; as, to run bullets, and the like.
41. (v. i.) To cause to be drawn; to mark out; to indicate; to determine; as, to run a line.
42. (v. i.) To cause to pass, or evade, offical restrictions; to smuggle; -- said of contraband or dutiable goods.
43. (v. i.) To go through or accomplish by running; as, to run a race; to run a certain career.
44. (v. i.) To cause to stand as a candidate for office; to support for office; as, to run some one for Congress.
45. (v. i.) To encounter or incur, as a danger or risk; as, to run the risk of losing one's life. See To run the chances, below.
46. (v. i.) To put at hazard; to venture; to risk.
47. (v. i.) To discharge; to emit; to give forth copiously; to be bathed with; as, the pipe or faucet runs hot water.
48. (v. i.) To be charged with, or to contain much of, while flowing; as, the rivers ran blood.
49. (v. i.) To conduct; to manage; to carry on; as, to run a factory or a hotel.
50. (v. i.) To tease with sarcasms and ridicule.
51. (v. i.) To sew, as a seam, by passing the needle through material in a continuous line, generally taking a series of stitches on the needle at the same time.
52. (v. i.) To migrate or move in schools; -- said of fish; esp., to ascend a river in order to spawn.
53. (n.) The act of running; as, a long run; a good run; a quick run; to go on the run.
54. (n.) A small stream; a brook; a creek.
55. (n.) That which runs or flows in the course of a certain operation, or during a certain time; as, a run of must in wine making; the first run of sap in a maple orchard.
56. (n.) A course; a series; that which continues in a certain course or series; as, a run of good or bad luck.
57. (n.) State of being current; currency; popularity.
58. (n.) Continued repetition on the stage; -- said of a play; as, to have a run of a hundred successive nights.
59. (n.) A continuing urgent demand; especially, a pressure on a bank or treasury for payment of its notes.
60. (n.) A range or extent of ground for feeding stock; as, a sheep run.
61. (n.) The aftermost part of a vessel's hull where it narrows toward the stern, under the quarter.
62. (n.) The distance sailed by a ship; as, a good run; a run of fifty miles.
63. (n.) A voyage; as, a run to China.
64. (n.) A pleasure excursion; a trip.
65. (n.) The horizontal distance to which a drift may be carried, either by license of the proprietor of a mine or by the nature of the formation; also, the direction which a vein of ore or other substance takes.
66. (n.) A roulade, or series of running tones.
67. (n.) The greatest degree of swiftness in marching. It is executed upon the same principles as the double-quick, but with greater speed.
68. (n.) The act of migrating, or ascending a river to spawn; -- said of fish; also, an assemblage or school of fishes which migrate, or ascend a river for the purpose of spawning.
69. (n.) In baseball, a complete circuit of the bases made by a player, which enables him to score one; in cricket, a passing from one wicket to the other, by which one point is scored; as, a player made three runs; the side went out with two hundred runs.
70. (n.) A pair or set of millstones.
71. (a.) Melted, or made from molten material; cast in a mold; as, run butter; run iron or lead.
72. (a.) Smuggled; as, run goods.
Run (147 Occurrences)
Matthew 6:32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. (See NIV)
Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved. (Root in KJV WBS YLT NIV)
Matthew 27:48 And immediately one of them running and getting a sponge, having filled it with vinegar and fixed it on a reed, gave him to drink. (Root in DBY YLT)
Matthew 28:8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word. (KJV)
Mark 6:55 And went running through all the country round about, and took on their beds those who were ill, to where it was said that he was. (Root in BBE YLT)
Mark 9:25 When Jesus saw that a multitude came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to him, "You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him, and never enter him again!" (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Mark 10:17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? (Root in KJV WEY BBE WBS YLT)
Mark 15:36 And one, running and filling a sponge with vinegar, fixed it on a reed, and gave him to drink, saying, Let alone, let us see if Elias comes to take him down. (Root in DBY YLT)
Luke 5:11 And having run the ships on shore, leaving all they followed him. (DBY)
Luke 5:37 No one puts new wine into old wineskins, or else the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. (See NIV)
Luke 17:23 They will tell you,'Look, here!' or'Look, there!' Don't go away, nor follow after them, (See NAS NIV)
Luke 19:4 And running on before, he got up into a sycamore that he might see him, for he was going to pass that way. (Root in DBY YLT)
Luke 24:12 And Peter having risen, did run to the tomb, and having stooped down he seeth the linen clothes lying alone, and he went away to his own home, wondering at that which was come to pass. (YLT)
John 10:5 But a stranger they will by no means follow, but will run away from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers." (WEY NIV)
John 20:4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre. (Root in KJV BBE YLT NAS NIV)
Acts 8:30 And Philip, running up to him, saw that he was reading Isaiah the prophet, and said to him, Is the sense of what you are reading clear to you? (Root in BBE DBY YLT)
Acts 12:14 And hearing the voice of Peter, in her joy she went running, without opening the door, to say that Peter was outside. (Root in BBE DBY YLT)
Acts 21:1 And it came to pass, at our sailing, having been parted from them, having run direct, we came to Coos, and the succeeding 'day' to Rhodes, and thence to Patara, (YLT)
Acts 27:16 Running under the lee of a small island called Clauda, we were able, with difficulty, to secure the boat. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Acts 27:17 After they had hoisted it up, they used cables to help reinforce the ship. Fearing that they would run aground on the Syrtis sand bars, they lowered the sea anchor, and so were driven along. (WEB BBE DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 27:26 But we must run aground on a certain island." (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 27:29 Fearing that we would run aground on rocky ground, they let go four anchors from the stern, and wished for daylight. (WEB WEY NAS RSV)
Acts 27:39 When daylight came, they tried in vain to recognise the coast. But an inlet with a sandy beach attracted their attention, and now their object was, if possible, to run the ship aground in this inlet. (WEY DBY NIV)
Romans 9:9 For the words are the language of promise and run thus, "About this time next year I will come, and Sarah shall have a son." (WEY)
1 Corinthians 9:24 Don't you know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run like that, that you may win. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Corinthians 9:26 I therefore run like that, as not uncertainly. I fight like that, as not beating the air, (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Galatians 2:2 I went up by revelation, and I laid before them the Good News which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately before those who were respected, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Galatians 5:7 You were running well! Who interfered with you that you should not obey the truth? (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Philippians 2:16 holding up the word of life; that I may have something to boast in the day of Christ, that I didn't run in vain nor labor in vain. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run and be glorified, even as also 'it is' with you; (ASV DBY YLT)
2 Timothy 4:7 I have gone through the glorious contest; I have run the race; I have guarded the faith. (WEY)
Hebrews 12:1 Therefore let us also, seeing we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Peter 4:4 They think it is strange that you don't run with them into the same excess of riot, blaspheming: (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Jude 1:11 A curse on them! They have gone in the way of Cain, running uncontrolled into the error of Balaam for reward, and have come to destruction by saying evil against the Lord, like Korah. (Root in BBE WBS)
Genesis 19:20 See now, this city is near to flee to, and it is a little one. Oh let me escape there (isn't it a little one?), and my soul will live." (See NIV)
Genesis 39:13 When she saw that he had left his garment in her hand, and had run outside, (WEB NIV)
Genesis 41:14 And Pharaoh sendeth and calleth Joseph, and they cause him to run out of the pit, and he shaveth, and changeth his garments, and cometh in unto Pharaoh. (YLT)
Genesis 49:22 "Joseph is a fruitful vine, a fruitful vine by a spring. His branches run over the wall. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS NAS RSV)
Exodus 23:27 I will send my terror before you, and will confuse all the people to whom you come, and I will make all your enemies turn their backs to you. (See NIV)
Leviticus 15:3 This shall be his uncleanness in his discharge: whether his body runs with his discharge, or his body has stopped from his discharge, it is his uncleanness. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Leviticus 15:25 And if a woman have an issue of her blood many days out of the time of her separation, or if it run beyond the time of her separation; all the days of the issue of her uncleanness shall be as the days of her separation: she shall be unclean. (KJV WBS)
Leviticus 26:36 "'As for those of you who are left, I will send a faintness into their hearts in the lands of their enemies: and the sound of a driven leaf will put them to flight; and they shall flee, as one flees from the sword; and they will fall when no one pursues. (See NIV)
Numbers 34:7 "'This shall be your north border: from the great sea you shall mark out for you Mount Hor; (See NIV)
Numbers 34:10 "'You shall mark out your east border from Hazar Enan to Shepham; (See NIV)
Joshua 7:12 Therefore the children of Israel can't stand before their enemies. They turn their backs before their enemies, because they have become devoted for destruction. I will not be with you any more, unless you destroy the devoted things from among you. (See NIV)
Joshua 7:22 And Joshua sendeth messengers, and they run unto the tent, and lo, it is hidden in his tent, and the silver under it; (YLT)
Joshua 8:19 Then the secret force came quickly from their place, and running forward when they saw his hand stretched out, went into the town and took it, and put fire to it straight away. (Root in BBE YLT)
Judges 18:25 And the children of Dan said unto him, Let not thy voice be heard among us, lest angry fellows run upon thee, and thou lose thy life, with the lives of thy household. (KJV)
Ruth 3:10 He said, "Blessed are you by Yahweh, my daughter. You have shown more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as you didn't follow young men, whether poor or rich. (See NIV)
1 Samuel 8:11 He said, "This will be the manner of the king who shall reign over you: he will take your sons, and appoint them to him, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and they shall run before his chariots; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 10:23 And they run and bring him thence, and he stationed himself in the midst of the people, and he is higher than any of the people from his shoulder and upward. (YLT)
1 Samuel 14:22 Likewise all the men of Israel who had hid themselves in the hill country of Ephraim, when they heard that the Philistines fled, even they also followed hard after them in the battle. (See NIV)
1 Samuel 17:17 And Jesse said unto David his son, Take now for thy brethren an ephah of this parched corn, and these ten loaves, and run to the camp of thy brethren; (KJV WBS YLT NAS)
1 Samuel 17:48 Now when the Philistine made a move and came near to David, David quickly went at a run in the direction of the army, meeting the Philistine face to face. (BBE YLT)
1 Samuel 19:11 Saul sent messengers to David's house, to watch him, and to kill him in the morning. Michal, David's wife, told him, saying, "If you don't save your life tonight, tomorrow you will be killed." (See NIV)
1 Samuel 20:6 If your father miss me at all, then say,'David earnestly asked leave of me that he might run to Bethlehem his city; for it is the yearly sacrifice there for all the family.' (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
1 Samuel 20:36 He said to his boy, "Run, find now the arrows which I shoot." As the boy ran, he shot an arrow beyond him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 21:13 He changed his behavior before them, and feigned himself mad in their hands, and scrabbled on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle fall down on his beard. (See NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 31:4 Then said Saul to his armor bearer, "Draw your sword, and thrust me through with it, lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me!" But his armor bearer would not; for he was terrified. Therefore Saul took his sword, and fell on it. (See NIV)
2 Samuel 15:1 It happened after this, that Absalom prepared him a chariot and horses, and fifty men to run before him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 18:19 Then Ahimaaz the son of Zadok said, "Let me now run, and bear the king news, how that Yahweh has avenged him of his enemies." will not prevail against it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 18:22 Then said Ahimaaz the son of Zadok yet again to Joab, "But come what may, please let me also run after the Cushite." Joab said, "Why do you want to run, my son, seeing that you will have no reward for the news?" (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 18:23 "But come what may," he said, "I will run." He said to him, "Run!" Then Ahimaaz ran by the way of the Plain, and outran the Cushite. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 22:30 For by you, I run against a troop. By my God, I leap over a wall. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
1 Kings 1:5 Then Adonijah the son of Haggith exalted himself, saying, "I will be king." Then he prepared him chariots and horsemen, and fifty men to run before him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Kings 17:14 For thus says Yahweh, the God of Israel,'The jar of meal shall not empty, neither shall the jar of oil fail, until the day that Yahweh sends rain on the earth.'" (See NIV)
1 Kings 17:16 The jar of meal didn't empty, neither did the jar of oil fail, according to the word of Yahweh, which he spoke by Elijah. (See NIV)
2 Kings 4:22 She called to her husband, and said, "Please send me one of the servants, and one of the donkeys, that I may run to the man of God, and come again." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
2 Kings 4:26 Please run now to meet her, and ask her,'Is it well with you? Is it well with your husband? Is it well with the child?'" She answered, "It is well." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Kings 4:29 Then he said to Gehazi, "Tuck your cloak into your belt, take my staff in your hand, and go your way. If you meet any man, don't greet him; and if anyone greets you, don't answer him again. Then lay my staff on the face of the child." (See NIV)
2 Kings 5:20 But Gehazi the servant of Elisha the man of God, said, "Behold, my master has spared this Naaman the Syrian, in not receiving at his hands that which he brought. As Yahweh lives, I will run after him, and take something from him." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Kings 9:3 Then take the vial of oil, and pour it on his head, and say,'Thus says Yahweh, "I have anointed you king over Israel."' Then open the door, flee, and don't wait." (See NIV)
1 Chronicles 10:4 Then said Saul to his armor bearer, "Draw your sword, and thrust me through with it, lest these uncircumcised come and abuse me." But his armor bearer would not; for he was terrified. Therefore Saul took his sword, and fell on it. (See NIV)
2 Chronicles 16:9 For the eyes of Yahweh run back and forth throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein you have done foolishly; for from henceforth you shall have wars. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Job 1:5 It was so, when the days of their feasting had run their course, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, "It may be that my sons have sinned, and renounced God in their hearts." Job did so continually. (WEB RSV NIV)
Job 39:18 When she lifts up herself on high, she scorns the horse and his rider. (See NIV)
Psalms 16:4 Their sorrows shall be multiplied who give gifts to another god. Their drink offerings of blood I will not offer, nor take their names on my lips. (See NIV)
Psalms 18:29 For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Psalms 19:5 which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, like a strong man rejoicing to run his course. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 58:7 Let them melt away as waters which run continually: when he bendeth his bow to shoot his arrows, let them be as cut in pieces. (KJV JPS ASV WBS NAS RSV)
Psalms 59:4 They run and prepare themselves without my fault: awake to help me, and behold. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Psalms 63:10 They cause him to run on the edge of the sword, A portion for foxes they are. (YLT)
Psalms 68:31 Come do fat ones out of Egypt, Cush causeth her hands to run to God. (YLT)
Psalms 73:7 Their eyes bulge with fat. Their minds pass the limits of conceit. (See NAS)
Psalms 78:16 He brought streams also out of the rock, and caused waters to run down like rivers. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS)
Psalms 104:10 He sends forth springs into the valleys. They run among the mountains. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Psalms 119:32 I run in the path of your commandments, for you have set my heart free. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 119:136 Streams of tears run down my eyes, because they don't observe your law. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Psalms 147:15 He sends out his commandment to the earth. His word runs very swiftly. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Proverbs 1:16 for their feet run to evil. They hurry to shed blood. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Proverbs 4:12 When you go, your steps will not be hampered. When you run, you will not stumble. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Proverbs 6:18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are swift in running to mischief, (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Proverbs 18:10 The name of Yahweh is a strong tower: the righteous run to him, and are safe. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ecclesiastes 1:7 All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full. To the place where the rivers flow, there they flow again. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Song of Songs 1:4 Draw me, we will run after thee: the king hath brought me into his chambers: we will be glad and rejoice in thee, we will remember thy love more than wine: the upright love thee. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Isaiah 5:11 Woe unto them that, rising early in the morning, run after strong drink; that linger till twilight, till wine inflameth them! (DBY RSV NIV)
Isaiah 7:25 And they will send out the oxen and the sheep on all the hills which before were worked with the spade, ... fear of blackberries and thorns. (See NIV)
Isaiah 8:7 For this cause the Lord is sending on them the waters of the River, deep and strong, even the king of Assyria and all his glory: and it will come up through all its streams, overflowing all its edges: (See NIV)
Isaiah 10:3 And what will you do in the day of punishment, and in the destruction which is coming from far? to whom will you go for help, and what will become of your glory? (See NIV)
Isaiah 29:1 Ho! Ariel, Ariel, the town against which David made war; put year to year, let the feasts come round: (See RSV)