|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
Garment, the son of Nashon (Ruth 4:20; Matthew 1:4, 5), possibly the same as Salma in 1 Chronicles 2:51.
Shady; or Zalmon (q.v.), a hill covered with dark forests, south of Shechem, from which Abimelech and his men gathered wood to burn that city (Judges 9:48). In Psalm 68:14 the change from war to peace is likened to snow on the dark mountain, as some interpret the expression. Others suppose the words here mean that the bones of the slain left unburied covered the land, so that it seemed to be white as if covered with snow. The reference, however, of the psalm is probably to Joshua 11 and 12. The scattering of the kings and their followers is fitly likened unto the snow-flakes rapidly falling on the dark Salmon. It is the modern Jebel Suleiman.
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) Plural of Salmon.
2. (n.) Any one of several species of fishes of the genus Salmo and allied genera. The common salmon (Salmo salar) of Northern Europe and Eastern North America, and the California salmon, or quinnat, are the most important species. They are extensively preserved for food. See Quinnat.
3. (n.) A reddish yellow or orange color, like the flesh of the salmon.
4. (a.) of a reddish yellow or orange color, like that of the flesh of the salmon.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
sal'-mon, (salmon, "investiture" (Ruth 4:21), salmah, "clothing" (Ruth 4:20), salma' (1 Chronicles 2:11, 51, 54); Salmon):
(1) The father of Boaz, the husband of Ruth, and thus the grandfather of Jesse, David's father (Ruth 4:20, 21). He is mentioned in both the genealogies of Jesus (Matthew 1:4, 5 Luke 3:32). From Matthew 1:5 we learn that he married Rahab, by whom he begat Boaz.
(2) In 1 Chronicles 2:51;, we read of a Salma, "the father of Beth-lehem," a son of Caleb, the son of Hur. He is also said to be the father of "the Netophathites, Atroth-beth-joab, and half of the Manahathites, the Zorites," and several "families of scribes."
See also ZALMON.
S. F. Hunter
Salmon (7 Occurrences)
Matthew 1:4 Ram became the father of Amminadab. Amminadab became the father of Nahshon. Nahshon became the father of Salmon. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 1:5 Salmon became the father of Boaz by Rahab. Boaz became the father of Obed by Ruth. Obed became the father of Jesse. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 3:32 the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon, (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ruth 4:20 and Amminadab became the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon became the father of Salmon, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ruth 4:21 and Salmon became the father of Boaz, and Boaz became the father of Obed, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 2:11 and Nahshon begot Salma, and Salma begot Boaz; (See NIV)
Psalms 68:14 When the Almighty scattered kings in it, it was white as snow in Salmon. (KJV BBE WBS YLT)