|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) Work done to benefit another.
2. (n.) A name given to several trees and shrubs of the genus Pyrus, as Pyrus domestica and P. torminalis of Europe, the various species of mountain ash or rowan tree, and the American shad bush (see Shad bush, under Shad). They have clusters of small, edible, apple like berries.
3. (n.) The act of serving; the occupation of a servant; the performance of labor for the benefit of another, or at another's command; attendance of an inferior, hired helper, slave, etc., on a superior, employer, master, or the like; also, spiritual obedience and love.
4. (n.) The deed of one who serves; labor performed for another; duty done or required; office.
5. (n.) Office of devotion; official religious duty performed; religious rites appropriate to any event or ceremonial; as, a burial service.
6. (n.) Hence, a musical composition for use in churches.
7. (n.) Duty performed in, or appropriate to, any office or charge; official function; hence, specifically, military or naval duty; performance of the duties of a soldier.
8. (n.) Useful office; advantage conferred; that which promotes interest or happiness; benefit; avail.
9. (n.) Profession of respect; acknowledgment of duty owed.
10. (n.) The act and manner of bringing food to the persons who eat it; order of dishes at table; also, a set or number of vessels ordinarily used at table; as, the service was tardy and awkward; a service of plate or glass.
11. (n.) The act of bringing to notice, either actually or constructively, in such manner as is prescribed by law; as, the service of a subpoena or an attachment.
12. (n.) The materials used for serving a rope, etc., as spun yarn, small lines, etc.
13. (n.) The act of serving the ball.
14. (n.) Act of serving or covering. See Serve, v. t., 13.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
sur'-vis: Six Hebrew, two Aramaic and four Greek words are so rendered.
1. In the Old Testament:
In the Old Testament the word most used for "service" is
(1) `abhodhah, from `abhadh, which is the general word, meaning "to work" and so "to serve," "to till," also "to enslave." The noun means "bondage," "labor," "ministering," "service," "tillage," "work," "use." The word is used in describing work in the fields (Exodus 1:14, et al.), work in the tabernacle (Exodus 27:19, et al.), sanctuary service (Numbers 7:9), service of Yahweh (Numbers 8:11), Levitical or priestly service (Numbers 8:22), kingly service (1 Chronicles 26:30), etc. Reference is made to instruments, wood vessels, cattle, herbs, shekels for the service in the house of Yahweh.
(2) `Abhadh itself is translated "service" in Numbers 8:15; Numbers 18:23 Jeremiah 22:13.
(3) Seradh means "stitching," i.e. piercing with a needle; it occurs only 4 times, and in each case in the Revised Version (British and American) instead of "service" is translated "finely wrought garments" (Exodus 31:10; Exodus 35:19; Exodus 39:1, 41).
(4) Sharath means primarily "to attend" as a servant or worshipper, and to contribute to or render service, wait on, and thence service; occurs only 3 times (Exodus 35:19; Exodus 39:1, 41 the King James Version) and in the American Standard Revised Version is rendered "for ministering."
(5) Tsabha' is found 7 times, used in the same connection each time, and refers to those numbered for service in the tent of meeting. Its primary root meaning refers to service for war, campaign, hardship (Numbers 4:30, 35, 39, 43; Numbers 8:24).
(6) Yadh means literally, an "open hand, indicating direction, power, and so ministry as in 1 Chronicles 6:31, where David appoints certain ones to have direction of the music, translated in 1 Chronicles 29:5, the Revised Version (British and American) not service, but "himself."
(7) `Abhidhah means "business," "labor," "affairs"; Ezra 6:18 is the only place where it is found.
(8) Polchan, from root meaning "to worship," "minister to," and so in Ezra 7:19 vessels given for service.
2. In the New Testament:
The following are the uses in the New Testament:
(1) Diakonia, from root meaning "to run on errands," and so attendance, aid as a servant, ministry, relief, and hence, service; compare English word "deacon"; Paul: "that I might minister unto you" (2 Corinthians 11:8); also found in Romans 15:31 ("ministration") and Revelation 2:19 ("ministry").
(2) Douleuo, literally, "to be a slave," in bondage, service (Galatians 4:8, "bondage"; Ephesians 6:7, "service"; 1 Timothy 6:2, "serve").
(3) Latreia, from root meaning "to render religious homage," menial service to God, and so worship (John 16:2, "service"; Romans 9:4, "service"; Romans 12:1, "spiritual service"; Heb 9:1, "service"; 9:6, "services").
(4) Leitourgia, from root "to perform religious or charitable functions," worship, relieve, obey, minister, and hence, a public function, priestly or charitable (liturgy) (2 Corinthians 9:12, "service"; also in Philippians 2:17, 30).
William Edward Raffety
Service (317 Occurrences)
Matthew 27:32 As they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name, and they compelled him to go with them, that he might carry his cross. (See NAS)
Mark 15:21 They compelled one passing by, coming from the country, Simon of Cyrene, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to go with them, that he might bear his cross. (See NAS)
Luke 1:2 on the authority of those who were from the beginning eye-witnesses and were devoted to the service of the divine Message, (WEY)
Luke 1:8 And it came to pass, as he fulfilled his priestly service before God in the order of his course, (DBY NAS)
Luke 1:23 It happened, when the days of his service were fulfilled, he departed to his house. (WEB WEY DBY YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 3:14 And persons engaged in military service also asked him saying, And we, what should we do? And he said to them, Oppress no one, nor accuse falsely, and be satisfied with your pay. (DBY)
Luke 9:11 and the multitudes having known did follow him, and having received them, he was speaking to them concerning the reign of God, and those having need of service he cured. (YLT)
Luke 9:62 But Jesus said to him, "No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God." (See NIV)
Luke 12:35 "Let your waist be girded and your lamps burning. (See NIV)
Luke 17:10 So you also, when you have obeyed all the orders given you, must say, "'There is no merit in our service: what we have done is only what we were in duty bound to do.'" (WEY)
John 16:2 They will put you out of the synagogues. Yes, the time comes that whoever kills you will think that he offers service to God. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 1:17 for he was numbered amongst us, and had received a part in this service. (DBY)
Acts 1:25 to receive the lot of this service and apostleship, from which Judas transgressing fell to go to his own place. (DBY)
Acts 6:1 Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplying, a complaint arose from the Hellenists against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily service. (WEB)
Acts 7:7 and the nation whom they shall serve I will judge, said God; and after these things they shall come forth and shall do Me service in this place. (YLT)
Acts 12:25 Barnabas and Saul returned to Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their service, also taking with them John whose surname was Mark. (WEB DBY)
Romans 1:5 through whom we have received grace and Apostleship in His service in order to win men to obedience to the faith, among all Gentile peoples, (WEY)
Romans 1:9 I call God to witness--to whom I render priestly and spiritual service by telling the Good News about His Son-- how unceasingly I make mention of you in His presence, (WEY)
Romans 1:25 For they had bartered the reality of God for what is unreal, and had offered divine honours and religious service to created things, rather than to the Creator--He who is for ever blessed. Amen. (WEY)
Romans 7:6 But seeing that we have died to that which once held us in bondage, the Law has now no hold over us, so that we render a service which, instead of being old and formal, is new and spiritual. (WEY)
Romans 9:4 who are Israelites; whose is the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service, and the promises; (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Romans 12:7 or service, let us give ourselves to service; or he who teaches, to his teaching; (WEB DBY NAS RSV)
Romans 13:6 For this reason you also pay taxes, for they are servants of God's service, attending continually on this very thing. (WEB ASV)
Romans 15:16 for me to be minister of Christ Jesus to the nations, carrying on as a sacrificial service the message of glad tidings of God, in order that the offering up of the nations might be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. (DBY RSV)
Romans 15:17 I have therefore my boasting in Christ Jesus in things pertaining to God. (See NIV)
Romans 15:25 But at present I am going to Jerusalem to serve God's people, (See NIV)
Romans 15:27 Yes, they have kindly done this, and, in fact, it was a debt they owed them. For seeing that the Gentiles have been admitted in to partnership with the Jews in their spiritual blessings, they in turn are under an obligation to render sacred service to the Jews in temporal things. (WEY RSV)
Romans 15:31 that I may be delivered from those who are disobedient in Judea, and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints; (WEB KJV WEY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
1 Corinthians 6:13 Food of all kinds is meant for the stomach, and the stomach is meant for food, and God will cause both of them to perish. Yet the body does not exist for the purpose of fornication, but for the Master's service, and the Master exists for the body; (WEY)
1 Corinthians 8:6 yet *we* have but one God, the Father, who is the source of all things and for whose service we exist, and but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom we and all things exist. (WEY)
1 Corinthians 9:13 Do you not see that the servants of the holy things get their living from the Temple, and the servants of the altar have their part in the food which is offered on the altar? (See NAS RSV)
1 Corinthians 12:5 There are various kinds of service, and the same Lord. (WEB WEY DBY RSV NIV)
1 Corinthians 12:28 And by God's appointment there are in the Church--first Apostles, secondly Prophets, thirdly teachers. Then come miraculous powers, and then ability to cure diseases or render loving service, or powers of organization, or varieties of the gift of 'tongues.' (WEY)
1 Corinthians 16:9 for a great and effective door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries. (See NAS)
1 Corinthians 16:15 And I beseech you, brethren--you know the household of Stephanas, how they were the earliest Greek converts to Christ, and have devoted themselves to the service of God's people-- (WEY DBY RSV NIV)
2 Corinthians 2:16 to the last-named an odor of death predictive of death, and to the others an odor of life predictive of life. And for such service as this who is competent? (WEY)
2 Corinthians 3:7 But if the service of death, written engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the children of Israel could not look steadfastly on the face of Moses for the glory of his face; which was passing away: (WEB WEY)
2 Corinthians 3:8 won't service of the Spirit be with much more glory? (WEB WEY)
2 Corinthians 3:9 For if the service of condemnation has glory, the service of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. (WEB WEY)
2 Corinthians 4:1 Therefore, being engaged in this service and being mindful of the mercy which has been shown us, we are not cowards. (WEY)
2 Corinthians 5:13 For if we have been beside ourselves, it has been for God's glory; or if we are now in our right senses, it is in order to be of service to you. (WEY)
2 Corinthians 6:3 We give no occasion of stumbling in anything, that our service may not be blamed, (WEB)
2 Corinthians 8:4 begging us with much entreaty to receive this grace and the fellowship in the service to the saints. (WEB WEY DBY NIV)
2 Corinthians 8:18 We have sent together with him the brother whose praise in the Good News is known through all the assemblies. (See NIV)
2 Corinthians 8:23 As for Titus, he is my partner and fellow worker for you. As for our brothers, they are the apostles of the assemblies, the glory of Christ. (See RSV)
2 Corinthians 9:1 It is indeed unnecessary for me to write to you concerning the service to the saints, (WEB WEY NIV)
2 Corinthians 9:12 For this service of giving that you perform not only makes up for lack among the saints, but abounds also through many givings of thanks to God; (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Corinthians 9:13 seeing that through the proof given by this service, they glorify God for the obedience of your confession to the Good News of Christ, and for the liberality of your contribution to them and to all; (WEB WEY RSV NIV)
2 Corinthians 11:8 I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service. (KJV WEY WBS)
Galatians 4:8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. (KJV WBS)
Ephesians 4:12 For the training of the saints as servants in the church, for the building up of the body of Christ: (See NAS NIV)
Ephesians 6:6 not in the way of service only when eyes are on you, as men pleasers; but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Ephesians 6:7 with good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men; (WEB KJV WEY ASV WBS NAS RSV)
Ephesians 6:21 But in order that you also may know how I am doing, Tychicus our dearly-loved brother and faithful helper in the Lord's service will tell you everything. (WEY)
Philippians 2:17 Yes, and if I am poured out on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice, and rejoice with you all. (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Philippians 2:30 because for the work of Christ he came near to death, risking his life to supply that which was lacking in your service toward me. (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Colossians 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God; (Root in KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
1 Thessalonians 3:2 and sent Timothy our brother and God's minister in the service of Christ's Good News, that he might help you spiritually and encourage you in your faith; (WEY)
1 Timothy 1:12 And I thank him who enabled me, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he counted me faithful, appointing me to service; (WEB WEY ASV NAS RSV NIV)
1 Timothy 6:2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort. (KJV WEY DBY WBS RSV NIV)
2 Timothy 1:8 Do not be ashamed then to bear witness for our Lord and for me His prisoner; but rather share suffering with me in the service of the Good News, strengthened by the power of God. (WEY)
2 Timothy 1:18 And you yourself well know all the services which he rendered me in Ephesus. (Root in WEY DBY NAS RSV)
2 Timothy 2:4 No soldier on service entangleth himself in the affairs of 'this' life; that he may please him who enrolled him as a soldier. (ASV NAS RSV)
2 Timothy 2:21 If therefore a man keeps himself clear of these latter, he himself will be for specially honourable use, consecrated, fit for the Master's service, and fully equipped for every good work. (WEY DBY)
2 Timothy 4:11 Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for service. (WEB DBY NAS)
Hebrews 1:14 Aren't they all serving spirits, sent out to do service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation? (WEB WEY ASV DBY YLT NAS)
Hebrews 2:17 Therefore he was obligated in all things to be made like his brothers, that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people. (See RSV NIV)
Hebrews 7:13 For he, of whom these things are said, belongs to a different tribe, of which no one has ever been attached to the service of the altar. (DBY)
Hebrews 8:6 and now he hath obtained a more excellent service, how much also of a better covenant is he mediator, which on better promises hath been sanctioned, (YLT)
Hebrews 9:1 Now indeed even the first covenant had ordinances of divine service, and an earthly sanctuary. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Hebrews 9:6 Now these things having been thus prepared, the priests go in continually into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the services, (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Hebrews 9:9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; (KJV WBS)
Hebrews 9:21 And the tabernacle too and all the vessels of service he sprinkled in like manner with blood; (DBY YLT)
Hebrews 10:11 and every priest, indeed, hath stood daily serving, and the same sacrifices many times offering, that are never able to take away sins. (See RSV)
Hebrews 11:26 because he deemed the reproaches which he might meet with in the service of the Christ to be greater riches than all the treasures of Egypt; for he fixed his gaze on the coming reward. (WEY)
Hebrews 12:28 Therefore, receiving, as we now do, a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us cherish thankfulness so that we may ever offer to God an acceptable service, with godly reverence and awe. (WEY ASV NAS)
James 1:26 If a man thinks that he is scrupulously religious, although he is not curbing his tongue but is deceiving himself, his religious service is worthless. (WEY)
James 1:27 The religious service which is pure and stainless in the sight of our God and Father is to visit fatherless children and widowed women in their time of trouble, and to keep one's own self unspotted from the world. (WEY)
3 John 1:5 Beloved, you do a faithful work in whatever you accomplish for those who are brothers and strangers. (See RSV)
3 John 1:6 Who have given witness to the church of your love for them: and you will do well to send them on their way well cared for, as is right for servants of God: (See RSV)
Revelation 2:19 "I know your works, your love, faith, service, patient endurance, and that your last works are more than the first. (WEB KJV WEY DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Revelation 7:15 For this reason they stand before the very throne of God, and render Him service, day after day and night after night, in His sanctuary, and He who is sitting upon the throne will shelter them in His tent. (WEY YLT)
Revelation 22:2 in the midst of its broad place, and of the river on this side and on that, 'is' a tree of life, yielding twelve fruits, in each several month rendering its fruits, and the leaves of the tree 'are' for the service of the nations; (YLT)
Revelation 22:3 "In future there will be no curse," he said, "but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in that city. And His servants will render Him holy service and will see His face, (WEY)
Genesis 26:14 and he hath possession of a flock, and possession of a herd, and an abundant service; and the Philistines envy him, (YLT)
Genesis 29:27 Fulfill the week of this one, and we will give you the other also for the service which you will serve with me yet seven other years." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Genesis 30:26 Give me my wives and my children for whom I have served you, and let me go; for you know my service with which I have served you." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Genesis 37:2 These are the generations of Jacob. Joseph, being seventeen years old, fed the flock with his brethren; and he was doing service with the sons of Bilhah, and with the sons of Zilpah, his father's wives. And Joseph brought to his father an evil report of them. (DBY)
Genesis 41:46 Joseph was thirty years old when he stood before Pharaoh king of Egypt. Joseph went out from the presence of Pharaoh, and went throughout all the land of Egypt. (See RSV NIV)
Genesis 50:2 And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father. And the physicians embalmed Israel. (See NIV)
Exodus 1:14 and they made their lives bitter with hard service, in mortar and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field, all their service, in which they ruthlessly made them serve. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT RSV)
Exodus 2:23 And it cometh to pass during these many days, that the king of Egypt dieth, and the sons of Israel sigh because of the service, and cry, and their cry goeth up unto God, because of the service; (YLT)
Exodus 5:9 let the service be heavy on the men, and let them work at it, and not be dazzled by lying words.' (YLT)
Exodus 5:11 ye -- go ye, take for yourselves straw where ye find 'it', for there is nothing of your service diminished.' (YLT)
Exodus 6:6 Therefore say unto the children of Israel, I am Jehovah, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from their service, and I will redeem you with a stretched-out arm, and with great judgments. (DBY YLT)
Exodus 6:9 And Moses spoke thus to the children of Israel; but they did not listen to Moses from anguish of spirit, and from hard service. (DBY YLT)
Exodus 12:25 It shall happen when you have come to the land which Yahweh will give you, according as he has promised, that you shall keep this service. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Exodus 12:26 It will happen, when your children ask you,'What do you mean by this service?' (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Exodus 13:5 It shall be, when Yahweh shall bring you into the land of the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Amorite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite, which he swore to your fathers to give you, a land flowing with milk and honey, that you shall keep this service in this month. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)