|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The act of setting, or the state of being settled.
2. (n.) Establishment in life, in business, condition, etc.; ordination or installation as pastor.
3. (n.) The act of peopling, or state of being peopled; act of planting, as a colony; colonization; occupation by settlers; as, the settlement of a new country.
4. (n.) The act or process of adjusting or determining; composure of doubts or differences; pacification; liquidation of accounts; arrangement; adjustment; as, settlement of a controversy, of accounts, etc.
5. (n.) Bestowal, or giving possession, under legal sanction; the act of giving or conferring anything in a formal and permanent manner.
6. (n.) A disposition of property for the benefit of some person or persons, usually through the medium of trustees, and for the benefit of a wife, children, or other relatives; jointure granted to a wife, or the act of granting it.
7. (n.) That which settles, or is settled, established, or fixed.
8. (n.) Matter that subsides; settlings; sediment; lees; dregs.
9. (n.) A colony newly established; a place or region newly settled; as, settlement in the West.
10. (n.) That which is bestowed formally and permanently; the sum secured to a person; especially, a jointure made to a woman at her marriage; also, in the United States, a sum of money or other property formerly granted to a pastor in additional to his salary.
11. (n.) The gradual sinking of a building, whether by the yielding of the ground under the foundation, or by the compression of the joints or the material.
12. (n.) Fractures or dislocations caused by settlement.
13. (n.) A settled place of abode; residence; a right growing out of residence; legal residence or establishment of a person in a particular parish or town, which entitles him to maintenance if a pauper, and subjects the parish or town to his support.
Settlement (4 Occurrences)
Matthew 18:23 "For this reason the Kingdom of the Heavens may be compared to a king who determined to have a settlement of accounts with his servants. (WEY)
Matthew 18:24 But as soon as he began the settlement, one was brought before him who owed 10,000 talents, (WEY NIV)
Genesis 10:30 Their dwelling was from Mesha, as you go toward Sephar, the mountain of the east. (See NAS)
Isaiah 27:10 For the strong town is without men, an unpeopled living-place; and she has become a waste land: there the young ox will take his rest, and its branches will be food for him. (See NIV)