|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To separate, as one from another; to cut off from something; to divide; to part in any way, especially by violence, as by cutting, rending, etc.; as, to sever the head from the body.
2. (v. t.) To cut or break open or apart; to divide into parts; to cut through; to disjoin; as, to sever the arm or leg.
3. (v. t.) To keep distinct or apart; to except; to exempt.
4. (v. t.) To disunite; to disconnect; to terminate; as, to sever an estate in joint tenancy.
5. (v. i.) To suffer disjunction; to be parted, or rent asunder; to be separated; to part; to separate.
6. (v. i.) To make a separation or distinction; to distinguish.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
sev'-er: The three Hebrew words badhal, palah and paradh are thus translated. The idea conveyed is that of setting apart (Leviticus 20:26 the King James Version) or of setting someone or something apart in a miraculous way (Exodus 8:22; Exodus 9:4 the King James Version, the English Revised Version), or, again, of simple separation on one's own volition (Judges 4:11 the King James Version, the English Revised Version). The Greek word aphorizo (Matthew 13:49) stands for final judicial segregation.
Sever (6 Occurrences)
Matthew 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Exodus 8:22 And I will sever in that day the land of Goshen, in which my people dwell, that no swarms of flies shall be there; to the end thou mayest know that I am the LORD in the midst of the earth. (KJV WBS)
Exodus 9:4 And the LORD shall sever between the cattle of Israel and the cattle of Egypt: and there shall nothing die of all that is the children's of Israel. (KJV WBS)
Leviticus 1:17 He shall tear it by its wings, but shall not divide it apart. The priest shall burn it on the altar, on the wood that is on the fire. It is a burnt offering, an offering made by fire, of a pleasant aroma to Yahweh. (See NAS NIV)
Leviticus 5:8 He shall bring them to the priest, who shall first offer the one which is for the sin offering, and wring off its head from its neck, but shall not sever it completely. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 39:14 And they shall sever out men of continual employment, passing through the land to bury with the passengers those that remain upon the face of the earth, to cleanse it: after the end of seven months shall they search. (KJV DBY WBS)