|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The slender, smooth stem of an arrow; hence, an arrow.
2. (n.) The long handle of a spear or similar weapon; hence, the weapon itself; (Fig.) anything regarded as a shaft to be thrown or darted; as, shafts of light.
3. (n.) That which resembles in some degree the stem or handle of an arrow or a spear; a long, slender part, especially when cylindrical.
4. (n.) The trunk, stem, or stalk of a plant.
5. (n.) The stem or midrib of a feather.
6. (n.) The pole, or tongue, of a vehicle; also, a thill.
7. (n.) The part of a candlestick which supports its branches.
8. (n.) The handle or helve of certain tools, instruments, etc., as a hammer, a whip, etc.
9. (n.) A pole, especially a Maypole.
10. (n.) The body of a column; the cylindrical pillar between the capital and base (see Illust. of Column). Also, the part of a chimney above the roof. Also, the spire of a steeple.
11. (n.) A column, an obelisk, or other spire-shaped or columnar monument.
12. (n.) A rod at the end of a heddle.
13. (n.) A solid or hollow cylinder or bar, having one or more journals on which it rests and revolves, and intended to carry one or more wheels or other revolving parts and to transmit power or motion; as, the shaft of a steam engine.
14. (n.) A humming bird (Thaumastura cora) having two of the tail feathers next to the middle ones very long in the male; -- called also cora humming bird.
15. (n.) A well-like excavation in the earth, perpendicular or nearly so, made for reaching and raising ore, for raising water, etc.
16. (n.) A long passage for the admission or outlet of air; an air shaft.
17. (n.) The chamber of a blast furnace.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
shaft: Isaiah 49:2 for chets, "an arrow"; also Exodus 25:31; Exodus 37:17 Numbers 8:4 the King James Version for a part of the candlestick of the tabernacle somewhat vaguely designated by the word yarekh, "thigh." The context in the first 2 verses shows that the upright stem or "shaft" is intended, but in Numbers 8:4 a different context has caused the Revised Version (British and American) to substitute "base."
See also ARCHERY; ARMOR, ARMS.
Shaft (13 Occurrences)
Revelation 9:1 The fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star from the sky which had fallen to the earth. The key to the pit of the abyss was given to him. (See RSV NIV)
Revelation 9:2 He opened the pit of the abyss, and smoke went up out of the pit, like the smoke from a burning furnace. The sun and the air were darkened because of the smoke from the pit. (See RSV)
Exodus 25:31 "You shall make a lampstand of pure gold. Of hammered work shall the lampstand be made, even its base, its shaft, its cups, its buds, and its flowers, shall be of one piece with it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 37:17 He made the lampstand of pure gold. He made the lampstand of beaten work. Its base, its shaft, its cups, its buds, and its flowers were of one piece with it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Numbers 8:4 And this work of the candlestick was of beaten gold, unto the shaft thereof, unto the flowers thereof, was beaten work: according unto the pattern which the LORD had showed Moses, so he made the candlestick. (KJV WBS)
1 Samuel 17:7 And the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed'six hundred shekels of iron: and his shield-bearer went before him. (See JPS DBY NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 5:8 David said on that day, "Whoever strikes the Jebusites, let him get up to the watercourse, and strike the lame and the blind, who are hated by David's soul." Therefore they say, "The the blind and the lame can't come into the house." (See RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 21:19 And there was again a battle at Gob with the Philistines; and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim, a Bethlehemite, smote Goliath the Gittite; now the shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam. (DBY NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 23:7 But the man that toucheth them must be armed with iron and the staff of a spear; and they shall be utterly burned with fire in their place. (See NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 20:5 And there was again a battle with the Philistines; and Elhanan the son of Jair smote Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite; now the shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam. (DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Job 28:4 He breaks open a shaft away from where people live. They are forgotten by the foot. They hang far from men, they swing back and forth. (WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Job 41:26 If one attacks him with the sword, it can't prevail; nor the spear, the dart, nor the pointed shaft. (WEB JPS ASV)
Isaiah 49:2 and he has made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand has he hid me: and he has made me a polished shaft; in his quiver has he kept me close: (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)