|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v.) To make sharp.
2. (v.) To give a keen edge or fine point to; to make sharper; as, to sharpen an ax, or the teeth of a saw.
3. (v.) To render more quick or acute in perception; to make more ready or ingenious.
4. (v.) To make more eager; as, to sharpen men's desires.
5. (v.) To make more pungent and intense; as, to sharpen a pain or disease.
6. (v.) To make biting, sarcastic, or severe.
7. (v.) To render more shrill or piercing.
8. (v.) To make more tart or acid; to make sour; as, the rays of the sun sharpen vinegar.
9. (v.) To raise, as a sound, by means of a sharp; to apply a sharp to.
10. (v. i.) To grow or become sharp.
Sharpen (8 Occurrences)
Deuteronomy 32:41 If I have sharpened my gleaming sword, And my hand take hold of judgment, I will render vengeance to mine adversaries, And will recompense them that hate me. (Root in DBY YLT NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 13:20 but all the Israelites went down to the Philistines, to sharpen every man his plowshare, mattock, axe, and sickle; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 13:21 Yet they had a file for the mattocks, and for the coulters, and for the forks, and for the axes, and to sharpen the goads. (KJV WBS RSV NIV)
Psalms 7:12 If a man doesn't relent, he will sharpen his sword; he has bent and strung his bow. (WEB DBY YLT NAS NIV)
Psalms 64:3 who sharpen their tongue like a sword, and aim their arrows, deadly words, (WEB DBY YLT NAS NIV)
Psalms 140:3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent. Viper's poison is under their lips. Selah. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Ecclesiastes 10:10 If the axe is blunt, and one doesn't sharpen the edge, then he must use more strength; but skill brings success. (WEB YLT NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 51:11 Sharpen the arrows; take the shields. Jehovah hath stirred up the spirit of the kings of the Medes; for his purpose is against Babylon, to destroy it; for this is the vengeance of Jehovah, the vengeance of his temple. (DBY NAS RSV NIV)