|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Shear.
2. (n.) The act or operation of clipping with shears or a shearing machine, as the wool from sheep, or the nap from cloth.
3. (n.) The product of the act or operation of clipping with shears or a shearing machine; as, the whole shearing of a flock; the shearings from cloth.
4. (n.) Same as Shearling.
5. (n.) The act or operation of reaping.
6. (n.) The act or operation of dividing with shears; as, the shearing of metal plates.
7. (n.) The process of preparing shear steel; tilting.
8. (n.) The process of making a vertical side cutting in working into a face of coal.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
sher'-ing (beth `eqedh ha-ro`im, "house of binding of the shepherds"; Codex Vaticanus Baithakath (Codex Alexandrinus Baithakad) ton poimenon): Here in the course of his extinction of the house of Ahab, Jehu met and destroyed 42 men, "the brethren of Ahaziah king of Judah" (2 Kings 10:12-14). Eusebius (in Onomasticon) takes the phrase as a proper name, Bethacath, and locates the village 15 miles from Legio in the plain. This seems to point to identification with Beit Kad, about 3 miles East of Jenin.
Shearing (6 Occurrences)
Genesis 38:12 And in process of time Shua's daughter, the wife of Judah, died; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheep-shearers to Timnah, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite. (See NIV)
Deuteronomy 18:4 The firstfruits also of thy corn, of thy new wine, and of thine oil, and the firstfruits of the shearing of thy sheep, shalt thou give him; (DBY NAS NIV)
1 Samuel 25:2 There was a man in Maon, whose possessions were in Carmel; and the man was very great, and he had three thousand sheep, and a thousand goats: and he was shearing his sheep in Carmel. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 25:4 David heard in the wilderness that Nabal was shearing his sheep. (WEB JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Kings 10:12 He arose and departed, and went to Samaria. As he was at the shearing house of the shepherds on the way, (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT)
2 Kings 10:14 He said, "Take them alive!" They took them alive, and killed them at the pit of the shearing house, even forty-two men. He didn't leave any of them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT)