|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
One intimate with Jehovah.
(1.) A priest to whom the tenth lot came forth when David divided the priests (1 Chronicles 24:11).
(2.) One of the priests who were set "to give to their brethren by courses" of the daily portion (2 Chronicles 31:15).
(1.) A priest whose sons are mentioned in 1 Chronicles 3:21, 22.
(2.) Ezra 8:5.
(3.) Ezra 10:2-4.
(4.) The father of Shemaiah, who repaired the wall of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 3:29).
(5.) The father-in-law of Tobiah (Nehemiah 6:18).
(6.) A priest who returned from the Captivity with Zerubbabel (Nehemiah 12:3; marg., or Shebaniah).
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
shek-a-ni'-a, shekan'-ya (shekhanyah (in 1 Chronicles 24:11 2 Chronicles 31:15, shekhanyahu); Codex Vaticanus Ischania, Sekenia):
(1) A descendant of Zerubbabel (1 Chronicles 3:21, 22). This is the same Shecaniah mentioned in Ezra 8:3.
(2) "The sons of Shecaniah," so the Massoretic Text of Ezra 8:5 reads, were among those who returned with Ezra, but a name appears to have been lost from the text, and we should probably read "of the sons of Zattu, Shecaniah the son of Jahaziel" (compare 1 Esdras 8:32, "of the sons of Zathoes, Sechenias the son of Jezelus").
(3) Chief of the tenth course of priests (1 Chronicles 24:11).
(4) A priest in the reign of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 31:15).
(5) A contemporary of Ezra who supported him in his opposition to foreign marriages (Ezra 10:2).
(6) The father of Shemaiah, "the keeper of the east gate" (Nehemiah 3:29).
(7) The father-in-law of Tobiah the Ammonite (Nehemiah 6:18).
(8) The eponym of a family which returned with Zerubbabel (Nehemiah 12:3). It is the same name which, by an interchange of "bh" and "kh", appears as Shebaniah (see SHEBANIAH, (2)) in Nehemiah 10:4, 12, 14.
Horace J. Wolf
Shecaniah (10 Occurrences)
1 Chronicles 3:21 The sons of Hananiah: Pelatiah, and Jeshaiah; the sons of Rephaiah, the sons of Arnan, the sons of Obadiah, the sons of Shecaniah. (WEB JPS ASV BBE NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 3:22 The sons of Shecaniah: Shemaiah. The sons of Shemaiah: Hattush, and Igal, and Bariah, and Neariah, and Shaphat, six. (WEB JPS ASV BBE NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 24:11 the ninth to Jeshua, the tenth to Shecaniah, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 31:15 Under him were Eden, and Miniamin, and Jeshua, and Shemaiah, Amariah, and Shecaniah, in the cities of the priests, in their office of trust, to give to their brothers by divisions, as well to the great as to the small: (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS NIV)
Ezra 8:3 Of the sons of Shecaniah, of the sons of Parosh, Zechariah; and with him were reckoned by genealogy of the males one hundred fifty. (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY NAS NIV)
Ezra 8:5 Of the sons of Shecaniah, the son of Jahaziel; and with him three hundred males. (WEB ASV BBE NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:2 Shecaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, answered Ezra, We have trespassed against our God, and have married foreign women of the peoples of the land: yet now there is hope for Israel concerning this thing. (WEB JPS ASV BBE NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 3:29 After them repaired Zadok the son of Immer over against his own house. After him repaired Shemaiah the son of Shecaniah, the keeper of the east gate. (WEB JPS ASV BBE NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 6:18 For there were many in Judah sworn to him, because he was the son-in-law of Shecaniah the son of Arah; and his son Jehohanan had taken the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah as wife. (WEB JPS ASV BBE NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:3 Shecaniah, Rehum, Meremoth, (WEB JPS ASV BBE NAS NIV)