|Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia|
shek-a-ni'-a, shekan'-ya (shekhanyah (in 1 Chronicles 24:11 2 Chronicles 31:15, shekhanyahu); Codex Vaticanus Ischania, Sekenia):
(1) A descendant of Zerubbabel (1 Chronicles 3:21, 22). This is the same Shecaniah mentioned in Ezra 8:3.
(2) "The sons of Shecaniah," so the Massoretic Text of Ezra 8:5 reads, were among those who returned with Ezra, but a name appears to have been lost from the text, and we should probably read "of the sons of Zattu, Shecaniah the son of Jahaziel" (compare 1 Esdras 8:32, "of the sons of Zathoes, Sechenias the son of Jezelus").
(3) Chief of the tenth course of priests (1 Chronicles 24:11).
(4) A priest in the reign of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 31:15).
(5) A contemporary of Ezra who supported him in his opposition to foreign marriages (Ezra 10:2).
(6) The father of Shemaiah, "the keeper of the east gate" (Nehemiah 3:29).
(7) The father-in-law of Tobiah the Ammonite (Nehemiah 6:18).
(8) The eponym of a family which returned with Zerubbabel (Nehemiah 12:3). It is the same name which, by an interchange of "bh" and "kh", appears as Shebaniah (see SHEBANIAH, (2)) in Nehemiah 10:4, 12, 14.
Horace J. Wolf
Shechaniah (8 Occurrences)
1 Chronicles 3:21 And the sons of Hananiah; Pelatiah, and Jesaiah: the sons of Rephaiah, the sons of Arnan, the sons of Obadiah, the sons of Shechaniah. (KJV DBY WBS YLT)
1 Chronicles 3:22 And the sons of Shechaniah; Shemaiah: and the sons of Shemaiah; Hattush, and Igeal, and Bariah, and Neariah, and Shaphat, six. (KJV DBY WBS YLT)
2 Chronicles 31:15 And by his hand 'are' Eden, and Miniamin, and Jeshua, and Shemaiah, Amariah, and Shechaniah, in cities of the priests, faithfully to give to their brethren in courses, as the great so the small, (YLT)
Ezra 8:3 Of the sons of Shechaniah, of the sons of Pharosh; Zechariah: and with him were reckoned by genealogy of the males an hundred and fifty. (KJV WBS YLT)
Ezra 8:5 Of the sons of Shechaniah; the son of Jahaziel, and with him three hundred males. (KJV JPS DBY WBS YLT)
Nehemiah 3:29 After them repaired Zadok the son of Immer over against his house. After him repaired also Shemaiah the son of Shechaniah, the keeper of the east gate. (KJV DBY WBS YLT)
Nehemiah 6:18 For there were many in Judah sworn unto him, because he was the son in law of Shechaniah the son of Arah; and his son Johanan had taken the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah. (KJV DBY WBS YLT)
Nehemiah 12:3 Shechaniah, Rehum, Meremoth, (KJV DBY WBS YLT)