|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
Whom Jehovah heard.
(1.) A prophet in the reign of Rehoboam (1 Kings 12:22-24).
(2.) Nehemiah 3:29.
(3.) A Simeonite (1 Chronicles 4:37).
(4.) A priest (Nehemiah 12:42).
(5.) A Levite (1 Chronicles 9:16).
(6.) 1 Chronicles 9:14; Nehemiah 11:15.
(7.) A Levite in the time of David, who with 200 of his brethren took part in the bringing up of the ark from Obed-edom to Hebron (1 Chronicles 15:8).
(8.) A Levite (1 Chronicles 24:6).
(9.) The eldest son of Obed-edom (1 Chronicles 26:4-8).
(10.) A Levite (2 Chronicles 29:14).
(11.) A false prophet who hindered the rebuilding of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 6:10).
(12.) A prince of Judah who assisted at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 12:34-36).
(13.) A false prophet who opposed Jeremiah (Jeremiah 29:24-32).
(14.) One of the Levites whom Jehoshaphat appointed to teach the law (2 Chronicles 17:8).
(15.) A Levite appointed to "distribute the oblations of the Lord" (2 Chronicles 31:15).
(16.) A Levite (2 Chronicles 35:9).
(17.) The father of Urijah the prophet (Jeremiah 26:20).
(18.) The father of a prince in the reign of Jehoiakim (Jeremiah 36:12).
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
she-ma'-ya, she-mi'-a (shema`yah (in 2 Chronicles 11:2; 2 Chronicles 17:8; 2 Chronicles 31:15; 2 Chronicles 35:9 Jeremiah 26:20; Jeremiah 29:24; Jeremiah 36:12, shema`yahu), "Jahveh hears"): The name is most frequently borne by priests, Levites and prophets.
(1) Codex Vaticanus Sammaias; Codex Alexandrinus Samaias (2 Chronicles 12:5, 7). A prophet who, together with Ahijah, protested against Rehoboam's contemplated war against the ten revolted tribes (1 Kings 12:22-24 = 2 Chronicles 11:2-4). He declared that the rebellion had divine sanction. The second Greek account knows nothing of Ahijah in this connection and introduces Shemaiah at the gathering at Shechem where both Jeroboam and Rehoboam were present; it narrates that on this occasion Shemaiah (not Ahijah) rent his garment and gave ten parts to Jeroboam to signify the ten tribes over which he was to become king. (This version, however, is not taken very seriously, because of its numerous inconsistencies.) Shemaiah also prophesied at the invasion of Judah by Shishak (2 Chronicles 12:5-7). His message was to the effect that as the princes of Israel had humbled themselves, God's wrath against their idolatrous practices would not be poured out upon Jerusalem by the hand of Shishak (2 Chronicles 13:7). He is mentioned as the author of a history of Rehoboam (2 Chronicles 12:15).
(2) Son of Shecaniah (1 Chronicles 3:22, Samaia), a descendant of Zerubbabel. This is also the name of one of the men who helped to repair the wall (Nehemiah 3:29, Semeia (...) (compare Curtis, ICC, in 1 Chronicles 3:17-24)).
(3) A Simeonite (1 Chronicles 4:37, Codex Vaticanus Sumeon; Codex Alexandrinus Samaias), identical, perhaps, with the Shimei of 1 Chronicles 4:26, 27.
(4) A Reubenite (1 Chronicles 5:4, Codex Vaticanus Semeei; Codex Alexandrinus Semein), called Shema in 1 Chronicles 5:8.
(5) A Merarite Levite (1 Chronicles 9:14 Nehemiah 11:15, Samaia), one of those who dwelt in Jerusalem.
(6) A Levite of the family of Jeduthun, father of Obadiah or Abda (1 Chronicles 9:16, Sameia, Codex Alexandrinus Samias, called "Shammua" in Nehemiah 11:17).
(7) Head of the Levitical Kohathite clan of Elizaphan in the time of David (1 Chronicles 15:8, Codex Vaticanus Samaias; Codex Alexandrinus Samaia; Codex Sinaiticus Sameas; 1 Chronicles 15:11, Codex Vaticanus Samias; Codex Alexandrinus Semeias; Codex Sinaiticus Samai). He may be the same person as (8).
(8) The scribe (1 Chronicles 24:6), the son of Nethanel, who registered the names of the priestly courses.
(9) A Korahite Levite, eldest son of Obed-edom (1 Chronicles 26:4, 6, Codex Vaticanus Samaias; Codex Alexandrinus Sameias; 1 Chronicles 26:7, Codex Vaticanus Samai; Codex Alexandrinus Semeia).
(10) A Levite (2 Chronicles 17:8, Codex Vaticanus Samouas; Codex Alexandrinus Samouias). One of the commission appointed by Jehoshaphat to teach the book of the Law in Judah. The names of the commissioners as a whole belong to a period later than the 9th century. (Gray, HPN, 231).
(11) One of the men "over the free-will offerings of God" (2 Chronicles 31:15, Semeei).
(12) A Levite of the family of Jeduthun in the reign of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29:14), one of those who assisted in the purification of the Temple.
(13) A chief of the Levites (2 Chronicles 35:9), called "Samaias" in Septuagint and 1 Esdras 1:9.
(14) A "chief man" under Ezra (Ezra 8:16), called "Maasmas" and "Samaias" in 1 Esdras 8:43, 44.
(15) A member of the family of Adonikam (Ezra 8:13, Codex Vaticanus Samaia; Codex Alexandrinus Samaeia; "Samaias" in 1Es 8:39).
(16) A priest of the family of Harim who married a foreign wife (Ezra 10:21), called "Sameus" in 1 Esdras 9:21.
(17) A layman of the family of Harim who married a foreign wife (Ezra 10:31), called "Sabbeus" in 1 Esdras 9:32.
(18) A prophet (Nehemiah 6:10-14, Codex Vaticanus Semeei; Codex Alexandrinus Semei), employed by Sanballat and Tobiah to frighten Nehemiah and hinder the rebuilding of the wall.
(19) One of the 24 courses of priests, 16th under Zerubbabel (Nehemiah 12:6, Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandrinus Semeias), 15th under Joiakim (Nehemiah 12:18; Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandrinus Semeia), and 21st under Nehemiah (Nehemiah 10:8, Samaia), mentioned in connection with the dedication of the wall.
(20) A priest, descendant of Asaph (Nehemiah 12:35).
(21) A singer (or clan) participating in the dedication of the wall (Nehemiah 12:36).
(22) Father of the prophet Urijah (Jeremiah 26:20, Codex Vaticanus and Codex Alexandrinus Samaias; Codex Sinaiticus Maseas).
(23) A false prophet who was upbraided by Jeremiah (29:24-32) for attempting to hinder his work. He is styled "the Nehelamite" and was among those carried into captivity with Jehoiachin. In opposition to Jeremiah, he predicted a speedy ending to the captivity. Jeremiah foretold the complete destruction of Shemaiah's family.
(24) Father of Delaiah, who was a prince in the reign of Zedekiah (Jeremiah 36:12).
(25) "The great," kinsman of Tobias (Tobit 5:13).
Horace J. Wolf
Shemaiah (40 Occurrences)
1 Kings 12:22 But the word of God came to Shemaiah the man of God, saying, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 3:22 The sons of Shecaniah: Shemaiah. The sons of Shemaiah: Hattush, and Igal, and Bariah, and Neariah, and Shaphat, six. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 4:37 and Ziza the son of Shiphi, the son of Allon, the son of Jedaiah, the son of Shimri, the son of Shemaiah- (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 5:4 The sons of Joel: Shemaiah his son, Gog his son, Shimei his son, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 9:14 Of the Levites: Shemaiah the son of Hasshub, the son of Azrikam, the son of Hashabiah, of the sons of Merari; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 9:16 and Obadiah the son of Shemaiah, the son of Galal, the son of Jeduthun, and Berechiah the son of Asa, the son of Elkanah, who lived in the villages of the Netophathites. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 15:8 of the sons of Elizaphan, Shemaiah the chief, and his brothers two hundred; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 15:11 David called for Zadok and Abiathar the priests, and for the Levites, for Uriel, Asaiah, and Joel, Shemaiah, and Eliel, and Amminadab, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 24:6 Shemaiah the son of Nethanel the scribe, who was of the Levites, wrote them in the presence of the king, and the princes, and Zadok the priest, and Ahimelech the son of Abiathar, and the heads of the fathers' houses of the priests and of the Levites; one fathers' house being taken for Eleazar, and one taken for Ithamar. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 26:4 Obed-Edom had sons: Shemaiah the firstborn, Jehozabad the second, Joah the third, and Sacar the fourth, and Nethanel the fifth, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 26:6 Also to Shemaiah his son were sons born, who ruled over the house of their father; for they were mighty men of valor. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 26:7 The sons of Shemaiah: Othni, and Rephael, and Obed, Elzabad, whose brothers were valiant men, Elihu, and Semachiah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 11:2 But the word of Yahweh came to Shemaiah the man of God, saying, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 12:5 Now Shemaiah the prophet came to Rehoboam, and to the princes of Judah, who were gathered together to Jerusalem because of Shishak, and said to them, Thus says Yahweh, You have forsaken me, therefore have I also left you in the hand of Shishak. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 12:7 When Yahweh saw that they humbled themselves, the word of Yahweh came to Shemaiah, saying, They have humbled themselves: I will not destroy them; but I will grant them some deliverance, and my wrath shall not be poured out on Jerusalem by the hand of Shishak. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 12:15 Now the acts of Rehoboam, first and last, aren't they written in the histories of Shemaiah the prophet and of Iddo the seer, after the manner of genealogies? There were wars between Rehoboam and Jeroboam continually. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 17:8 and with them the Levites, even Shemaiah, and Nethaniah, and Zebadiah, and Asahel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehonathan, and Adonijah, and Tobijah, and Tobadonijah, the Levites; and with them Elishama and Jehoram, the priests. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 29:14 and of the sons of Heman, Jehuel and Shimei; and of the sons of Jeduthun, Shemaiah and Uzziel. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 31:15 Under him were Eden, and Miniamin, and Jeshua, and Shemaiah, Amariah, and Shecaniah, in the cities of the priests, in their office of trust, to give to their brothers by divisions, as well to the great as to the small: (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 35:9 Conaniah also, and Shemaiah and Nethanel, his brothers, and Hashabiah and Jeiel and Jozabad, the chiefs of the Levites, gave to the Levites for the Passover offerings five thousand small livestock, and five hundred head of cattle. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 8:13 Of the sons of Adonikam, who were the last; and these are their names: Eliphelet, Jeuel, and Shemaiah; and with them sixty males. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 8:16 Then sent I for Eliezer, for Ariel, for Shemaiah, and for Elnathan, and for Jarib, and for Elnathan, and for Nathan, and for Zechariah, and for Meshullam, chief men; also for Joiarib, and for Elnathan, who were teachers. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:21 Of the sons of Harim: Maaseiah, and Elijah, and Shemaiah, and Jehiel, and Uzziah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:31 of the sons of Harim: Eliezer, Isshijah, Malchijah, Shemaiah, Shimeon, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 3:29 After them repaired Zadok the son of Immer over against his own house. After him repaired Shemaiah the son of Shecaniah, the keeper of the east gate. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 6:10 I went to the house of Shemaiah the son of Delaiah the son of Mehetabel, who was shut up; and he said, Let us meet together in the house of God, within the temple, and let us shut the doors of the temple: for they will come to kill you; yes, in the night will they come to kill you. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 10:8 Maaziah, Bilgai, Shemaiah; these were the priests. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 11:15 Of the Levites: Shemaiah the son of Hasshub, the son of Azrikam, the son of Hashabiah, the son of Bunni; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:6 Shemaiah, and Joiarib, Jedaiah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:18 of Bilgah, Shammua; of Shemaiah, Jehonathan; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:34 Judah, and Benjamin, and Shemaiah, and Jeremiah, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:35 and certain of the priests' sons with trumpets: Zechariah the son of Jonathan, the son of Shemaiah, the son of Mattaniah, the son of Micaiah, the son of Zaccur, the son of Asaph; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:36 and his brothers, Shemaiah, and Azarel, Milalai, Gilalai, Maai, Nethanel, and Judah, Hanani, with the musical instruments of David the man of God; and Ezra the scribe was before them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:42 and Maaseiah, and Shemaiah, and Eleazar, and Uzzi, and Jehohanan, and Malchijah, and Elam, and Ezer. The singers sang loud, with Jezrahiah their overseer. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 26:20 There was also a man who prophesied in the name of Yahweh, Uriah the son of Shemaiah of Kiriath Jearim; and he prophesied against this city and against this land according to all the words of Jeremiah: (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 29:24 Concerning Shemaiah the Nehelamite you shall speak, saying, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 29:25 Shemaiah the Nehelamite sent a letter in his name to Zephaniah, the son of Maaseiah the priest, saying, (BBE)
Jeremiah 29:31 Send to all them of the captivity, saying, Thus says Yahweh concerning Shemaiah the Nehelamite: Because Shemaiah has prophesied to you, and I didn't send him, and he has caused you to trust in a lie; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 29:32 therefore thus says Yahweh, Behold, I will punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite, and his seed; he shall not have a man to dwell among this people, neither shall he see the good that I will do to my people, says Yahweh, because he has spoken rebellion against Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 36:12 he went down into the king's house, into the scribe's chamber: and behold, all the princes were sitting there, to wit, Elishama the scribe, and Delaiah the son of Shemaiah, and Elnathan the son of Achbor, and Gemariah the son of Shaphan, and Zedekiah the son of Hananiah, and all the princes. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)