|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) An inclined plane, either artificial or natural, down which timber, coal, etc., are caused to slide; also, a narrow passage, either natural or artificial, in a stream, where the water rushes rapidly; esp., a channel, having a swift current, connecting the ends of a bend in the stream, so as to shorten the course.
2. (v. i.) To let fly, or cause to be driven, with force, as an arrow or a bullet; -- followed by a word denoting the missile, as an object.
3. (v. i.) To discharge, causing a missile to be driven forth; -- followed by a word denoting the weapon or instrument, as an object; -- often with off; as, to shoot a gun.
4. (v. i.) To strike with anything shot; to hit with a missile; often, to kill or wound with a firearm; -- followed by a word denoting the person or thing hit, as an object.
5. (v. i.) To send out or forth, especially with a rapid or sudden motion; to cast with the hand; to hurl; to discharge; to emit.
6. (v. i.) To push or thrust forward; to project; to protrude; -- often with out; as, a plant shoots out a bud.
7. (v. i.) To plane straight; to fit by planing.
8. (v. i.) To pass rapidly through, over, or under; as, to shoot a rapid or a bridge; to shoot a sand bar.
9. (v. i.) To variegate as if by sprinkling or intermingling; to color in spots or patches.
10. (v. i.) To cause an engine or weapon to discharge a missile; -- said of a person or an agent; as, they shot at a target; he shoots better than he rides.
11. (v. i.) To discharge a missile; -- said of an engine or instrument; as, the gun shoots well.
12. (v. i.) To be shot or propelled forcibly; -- said of a missile; to be emitted or driven; to move or extend swiftly, as if propelled; as, a shooting star.
13. (v. i.) To penetrate, as a missile; to dart with a piercing sensation; as, shooting pains.
14. (v. i.) To feel a quick, darting pain; to throb in pain.
15. (v. i.) To germinate; to bud; to sprout.
16. (v. i.) To grow; to advance; as, to shoot up rapidly.
17. (v. i.) To change form suddenly; especially, to solidify.
18. (v. i.) To protrude; to jut; to project; to extend; as, the land shoots into a promontory.
19. (v. i.) To move ahead by force of momentum, as a sailing vessel when the helm is put hard alee.
20. (n.) The act of shooting; the discharge of a missile; a shot; as, the shoot of a shuttle.
21. (n.) A young branch or growth.
22. (n.) A rush of water; a rapid.
23. (n.) A vein of ore running in the same general direction as the lode.
24. (n.) A weft thread shot through the shed by the shuttle; a pick.
25. (n.) A shoat; a young hog.
Shoot (51 Occurrences)
Luke 21:30 When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. (KJV ASV WBS)
Romans 11:17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them, and became partaker with them of the root and of the richness of the olive tree; (See RSV NIV)
Genesis 49:22 Joseph is a fruitful bough; A fruitful bough by a well; His branches shoot over the wall. (DBY)
Exodus 36:33 And he made the middle bar to shoot through the boards from the one end to the other. (KJV WBS)
Numbers 21:30 And we shoot them, Perished hath Heshbon unto Dibon, And we make desolate unto Nophah, Which 'is' unto Medeba.' (YLT)
Deuteronomy 29:23 ('with' brimstone and salt is the whole land burnt, it is not sown, nor doth it shoot up, nor doth there go up on it any herb, like the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboim, which Jehovah overturned in His anger, and in His fury,) -- (YLT)
Judges 16:22 And the hair of his head beginneth to shoot up, when he hath been shaven, (YLT)
1 Samuel 20:20 I will shoot three arrows on its side, as though I shot at a mark. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 20:36 He said to his boy, "Run, find now the arrows which I shoot." As the boy ran, he shot an arrow beyond him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 11:20 it shall be that, if the king's wrath arise, and he asks you,'Why did you go so near to the city to fight? Didn't you know that they would shoot from the wall? (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 11:24 The shooters shot at your servants from off the wall; and some of the king's servants are dead, and your servant Uriah the Hittite is dead also." (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
2 Kings 9:27 But when Ahaziah the king of Judah saw this, he fled by the way of the garden house. Jehu followed after him, and said, "Strike him also in the chariot!" They struck him at the ascent of Gur, which is by Ibleam. He fled to Megiddo, and died there. (See NAS RSV)
2 Kings 13:17 He said, "Open the window eastward;" and he opened it. Then Elisha said, "Shoot!" and he shot. He said, "Yahweh's arrow of victory, even the arrow of victory over Syria; for you shall strike the Syrians in Aphek, until you have consumed them." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Kings 19:32 "Therefore thus says Yahweh concerning the king of Assyria,'He shall not come to this city, nor shoot an arrow there, neither shall he come before it with shield, nor cast up a mound against it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 5:18 The sons of Reuben, and the Gadites, and the half-tribe of Manasseh, of valiant men, men able to bear buckler and sword, and to shoot with bow, and skillful in war, were forty-four thousand seven hundred and sixty, that were able to go forth to war. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS)
1 Chronicles 12:2 They were armed with bows, and could use both the right hand and the left in slinging stones and in shooting arrows from the bow: they were of Saul's brothers of Benjamin. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS NAS RSV NIV)
2 Chronicles 26:15 He made in Jerusalem engines, invented by skillful men, to be on the towers and on the battlements, with which to shoot arrows and great stones. His name spread far abroad; for he was marvelously helped, until he was strong. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Chronicles 35:23 and the archers shoot at king Josiah, and the king saith to his servants, 'Remove me, for I have become very sick.' (YLT)
Job 8:11 Can the rush grow up without mire? Can the flag grow without water? (See JPS DBY)
Job 38:27 To satisfy a desolate and waste place, And to cause to shoot up The produce of the tender grass? (YLT)
Job 41:19 Out of his mouth go burning torches. Sparks of fire leap forth. (See NIV)
Psalms 11:2 For, behold, the wicked bend their bows. They set their arrows on the strings, that they may shoot in darkness at the upright in heart. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 22:7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Psalms 58:7 Let them melt away as waters which run continually: when he bendeth his bow to shoot his arrows, let them be as cut in pieces. (KJV WBS)
Psalms 64:3 Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words: (KJV WBS)
Psalms 64:4 to shoot innocent men from ambushes. They shoot at him suddenly and fearlessly. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 64:7 But God will shoot at them. They will be suddenly struck down with an arrow. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 80:15 the stock which your right hand planted, the branch that you made strong for yourself. (See NAS)
Psalms 92:12 The righteous shall shoot forth like a palm-tree; he shall grow like a cedar on Lebanon. (DBY)
Psalms 132:17 There will I make the horn of David to bud: I have ordained a lamp for mine anointed. (See JPS)
Psalms 144:6 Cast forth lightning, and scatter them: shoot out thine arrows, and destroy them. (KJV WBS NIV)
Isaiah 4:2 In that day is the Shoot of Jehovah for desire and for honour, And the fruit of the earth For excellence and for beauty to the escaped of Israel. (YLT)
Isaiah 11:1 A shoot will come out of the stock of Jesse, and a branch out of his roots will bear fruit. (WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 37:33 Therefore thus says Yahweh concerning the king of Assyria,'He will not come to this city, nor shoot an arrow there, neither will he come before it with shield, nor cast up a mound against it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 53:2 For he shot up right forth as a sapling, and as a root out of a dry ground; he had no form nor comeliness, that we should look upon him, nor beauty that we should delight in him. (See NAS NIV)
Isaiah 60:21 Your people will all be upright, the land will be their heritage for ever; the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, to be for my glory. (See RSV NIV)
Jeremiah 9:3 Their tongues are bent like a bow to send out false words: they have become strong in the land, but not for good faith: they go on from evil to evil, and they have no knowledge of me, says the Lord. (See NIV)
Jeremiah 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. (See JPS YLT)
Jeremiah 33:15 In those days, and at that time, will I cause a Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. (See JPS YLT)
Jeremiah 50:14 Set yourselves in array against Babylon all around, all you who bend the bow; shoot at her, spare no arrows: for she has sinned against Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 5:16 when I shall send on them the evil arrows of famine, that are for destruction, which I will send to destroy you: and I will increase the famine on you, and will break your staff of bread; (See NIV)
Ezekiel 16:7 A myriad -- as the shoot of the field I have made thee, And thou art multiplied, and art great, And comest in with an excellent adornment, Breasts have been formed, and thy hair hath grown -- And thou, naked and bare! (YLT)
Ezekiel 17:4 He cropped off the top of its young shoots, and carried it into a merchants' land; he set it in a city of traders. (Root in DBY NIV)
Ezekiel 17:22 Thus saith the Lord Jehovah: I will also take of the highest branch of the lofty cedar, and will set it; I will crop off from the top of its young shoots a tender one, and I will plant it upon a high and eminent mountain: (Root in DBY YLT NIV)
Ezekiel 29:21 In that day will I cause a horn to bud forth unto the house of Israel, and I will give thee the opening of the mouth in the midst of them; and they shall know that I am Jehovah. (See JPS YLT)
Ezekiel 31:14 To the end that none of all the trees by the waters exalt themselves for their height, neither shoot up their top among the thick boughs, neither their trees stand up in their height, all that drink water: for they are all delivered unto death, to the nether parts of the earth, in the midst of the children of men, with them that go down to the pit. (KJV WBS)
Ezekiel 36:8 But you, mountains of Israel, you shall shoot forth your branches, and yield your fruit to my people Israel; for they are at hand to come. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Daniel 11:7 But out of a shoot from her roots shall one stand up in his place, who shall come to the army, and shall enter into the fortress of the king of the north, and shall deal against them, and shall prevail. (WEB JPS ASV DBY)
Hosea 8:7 For wind they sow, and a hurricane they reap, Stalk it hath none -- a shoot not yielding grain, If so be it yield -- strangers do swallow it up. (YLT)
Zechariah 3:8 Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou and thy fellows that sit before thee; for they are men that are a sign: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the Branch. (See JPS YLT)
Zechariah 6:12 and speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh Jehovah of hosts, saying, Behold, the man whose name is the Branch: and he shall grow up out of his place; and he shall build the temple of Jehovah; (See JPS YLT)