|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) One who shows or exhibits.
2. (n.) That which shows; a mirror.
3. (n.) A fall or rain or hail of short duration; sometimes, but rarely, a like fall of snow.
4. (n.) That which resembles a shower in falling or passing through the air copiously and rapidly.
5. (n.) A copious supply bestowed.
6. (v. t.) To water with a shower; to //t copiously with rain.
7. (v. t.) To bestow liberally; to distribute or scatter in abundance; to rain.
8. (v. i.) To rain in showers; to fall, as in a shower or showers.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) rebhibhim, a plural form apparently denoting gentle rain, usually used figuratively, as in Deuteronomy 32:2 Psalm 72:6 Micah 5:7.
(2) geshem, used of gentle rain in Job 37:6: "shower of rain," the King James Version "small rain"; used of the flood in Genesis 7:12. Figuratively, of blessing, "showers of blessing" (Ezekiel 34:26); of destruction: "There shall be an overflowing shower in mine anger, and great hailstones in wrath to consume it" (Ezekiel 13:13).
(3) zerem, usually storm or tempest (compare Isaiah 4:6; Isaiah 28:2): "They are wet with the showers of the mountain" (Job 24:8).
(4) ombros (Luke 12:54), Rain is unknown in Palestine in the long summer of 5 or 6 months. A few showers usually fall in September, succeeded by fine weather for some weeks before the beginning of the heavy and long-continued winter rains.
Alfred Ely Day
Shower (22 Occurrences)
Luke 12:54 He said to the multitudes also, "When you see a cloud rising from the west, immediately you say,'A shower is coming,' and so it happens. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Genesis 7:12 and the shower is on the earth forty days and forty nights. (YLT)
Genesis 8:2 and closed are the fountains of the deep and the net-work of the heavens, and restrained is the shower from the heavens. (YLT)
Exodus 9:8 And the Lord said to Moses and to Aaron, Take in your hand a little dust from the fire and let Moses send it in a shower up to heaven before the eyes of Pharaoh. (BBE)
Exodus 9:10 So they took some dust from the fire, and placing themselves before Pharaoh, Moses sent it out in a shower up to heaven; and it became a skin-disease bursting out on man and on beast. (BBE)
1 Kings 17:14 for thus said Jehovah, God of Israel, The pitcher of meal is not consumed, and the dish of oil is not lacking, till the day of Jehovah's giving a shower on the face of the ground.' (YLT)
1 Kings 18:41 And Elijah saith to Ahab, 'Go up, eat and drink, because of the sound of the noise of the shower.' (YLT NAS)
1 Kings 18:44 And it cometh to pass, at the seventh, that he saith, 'Lo, a little thickness as the palm of a man is coming up out of the sea.' And he saith, 'Go up, say unto Ahab, 'Bind -- and go down, and the shower doth not restrain thee.' (YLT NAS)
1 Kings 18:45 And it cometh to pass, in the meantime, that the heavens have become black -- thick clouds and wind -- and the shower is great; and Ahab rideth, and goeth to Jezreel, (YLT NAS)
2 Kings 9:33 And he said, Take her and put her out of the window. So they sent her down with force, and her blood went in a shower on the wall and on the horses; and she was crushed under their feet. (BBE)
Job 37:6 For he says to the snow,'Fall on the earth;' likewise to the shower of rain, and to the showers of his mighty rain. (WEB JPS ASV RSV NIV)
Psalms 68:9 A shower of free-will gifts thou shakest out, O God. Thine inheritance, when it hath been weary, Thou hast established it. (YLT NIV)
Isaiah 28:2 Lo, a mighty and strong one 'is' to the Lord, As a storm of hail -- a destructive shower, As an inundation of mighty waters overflowing, He cast down to the earth with the hand. (YLT)
Isaiah 45:8 Let righteousness come down, O heavens, from on high, and let the sky send it down like rain: let the earth be open to give the fruit of salvation, causing righteousness to come up with it; I the Lord have made it come about. (See RSV NIV)
Isaiah 55:10 For, as come down doth the shower, And the snow from the heavens, And thither returneth not, But hath watered the earth, And hath caused it to yield, and to spring up, And hath given seed to the sower, and bread to the eater, (YLT)
Ezekiel 13:11 tell those who daub it with whitewash, that it shall fall: there shall be an overflowing shower; and you, great hailstones, shall fall; and a stormy wind shall tear it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE WBS YLT)
Ezekiel 13:13 Therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh: I will even tear it with a stormy wind in my wrath; and there shall be an overflowing shower in my anger, and great hailstones in wrath to consume it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE WBS YLT)
Ezekiel 34:26 I will make them and the places around my hill a blessing; and I will cause the shower to come down in its season; there shall be showers of blessing. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 38:22 With pestilence and with blood will I enter into judgment with him; and I will rain on him, and on his hordes, and on the many peoples who are with him, an overflowing shower, and great hailstones, fire, and sulfur. (WEB JPS ASV BBE)
Hosea 6:3 And we know -- we pursue to know Jehovah, As the dawn prepared is His going forth, And He cometh in as a shower to us, As gathered rain -- sprinkling earth.' (YLT RSV)
Joel 2:23 And ye sons of Zion, joy and rejoice, In Jehovah your God, For He hath given to you the Teacher for righteousness, And causeth to come down to you a shower, Sprinkling and gathered -- in the beginning. (YLT NIV)
Zechariah 14:17 And it hath come to pass, That he who doth not go up of the families of the land unto Jerusalem, To bow himself to the King, Jehovah of Hosts, Even on them there is no shower. (YLT)