|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. i.) To fall by, or as by, the force of gravity; to descend lower and lower; to decline gradually; to subside; as, a stone sinks in water; waves rise and sink; the sun sinks in the west.
2. (v. i.) To enter deeply; to fall or retire beneath or below the surface; to penetrate.
3. (v. i.) Hence, to enter so as to make an abiding impression; to enter completely.
4. (v. i.) To be overwhelmed or depressed; to fall slowly, as so the ground, from weakness or from an overburden; to fail in strength; to decline; to decay; to decrease.
5. (v. i.) To decrease in volume, as a river; to subside; to become diminished in volume or in apparent height.
6. (v. t.) To cause to sink; to put under water; to immerse or submerge in a fluid; as, to sink a ship.
7. (v. t.) Figuratively: To cause to decline; to depress; to degrade; hence, to ruin irretrievably; to destroy, as by dropping; as, to sink one's reputation.
8. (v. t.) To make (a depression) by digging, delving, or cutting, etc.; as, to sink a pit or a well; to sink a die.
9. (v. t.) To bring low; to reduce in quantity; to waste.
10. (v. t.) To conceal and appropriate.
11. (v. t.) To keep out of sight; to suppress; to ignore.
12. (v. t.) To reduce or extinguish by payment; as, to sink the national debt.
13. (n.) A drain to carry off filthy water; a jakes.
14. (n.) A shallow box or vessel of wood, stone, iron, or other material, connected with a drain, and used for receiving filthy water, etc., as in a kitchen.
15. (n.) A hole or low place in land or rock, where waters sink and are lost; -- called also sink hole.
Sink (16 Occurrences)
Matthew 14:30 But when he saw that the wind was strong, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!" (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 5:7 They beckoned to their partners in the other boat, that they should come and help them. They came, and filled both boats, so that they began to sink. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 9:44 "Let these words sink into your ears, for the Son of Man will be delivered up into the hands of men." (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV)
1 Timothy 6:9 But people who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many unwise and pernicious ways which sink mankind in destruction and ruin. (WEY YLT)
1 Peter 4:4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same sink of corruption, speaking injuriously of you; (DBY)
Deuteronomy 28:43 The sojourner that is in thy midst shall rise above thee higher and higher, and thou shalt sink down lower and lower. (DBY NIV)
2 Samuel 22:40 For you have armed me with strength for the battle. You have subdued under me those who rose up against me. (See RSV)
Psalms 18:39 For you have girded me with strength to the battle. You have subdued under me those who rose up against me. (See RSV)
Psalms 45:5 Thine arrows are sharp; The peoples fall under thee; They are in the heart of the king's enemies. (See JPS)
Psalms 69:2 I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold. I have come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS RSV NIV)
Psalms 69:14 Deliver me out of the mire, and don't let me sink. Let me be delivered from those who hate me, and out of the deep waters. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ecclesiastes 10:18 By slothfulness the roof sinks in; and through idleness of the hands the house leaks. (Root in WEB JPS ASV RSV)
Jeremiah 51:64 and you shall say, Thus shall Babylon sink, and shall not rise again because of the evil that I will bring on her; and they shall be weary. Thus far are the words of Jeremiah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 32:14 Then do I cause their waters to sink, And their rivers as oil I cause to go, An affirmation of the Lord Jehovah. (YLT)
Amos 8:8 Won't the land tremble for this, and everyone mourn who dwells in it? Yes, it will rise up wholly like the River; and it will be stirred up and sink again, like the River of Egypt. (WEB JPS ASV DBY RSV NIV)
Amos 9:5 For the Lord, Yahweh of Armies, is he who touches the land and it melts, and all who dwell in it will mourn; and it will rise up wholly like the River, and will sink again, like the River of Egypt. (WEB JPS ASV DBY RSV NIV)