|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The lower and loose part of a coat, dress, or other like garment; the part below the waist; as, the skirt of a coat, a dress, or a mantle.
2. (n.) A loose edging to any part of a dress.
3. (n.) Border; edge; margin; extreme part of anything
4. (n.) A petticoat.
5. (n.) The diaphragm, or midriff, in animals.
6. (v. t.) To cover with a skirt; to surround.
7. (v. t.) To border; to form the border or edge of; to run along the edge of; as, the plain was skirted by rows of trees.
8. (v. t.) To be on the border; to live near the border, or extremity.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) kanaph, "wing" "extremity" (Ruth 3:9, etc.), is the usual word. But in 1 Samuel 24:4; perhaps "corner" is the best translation.
(2) shul, "loose hanging" (Exodus 28:33, etc.; in the King James Version often rendered "hem").
(3) peh, "mouth," "opening" (Psalm 133:2, "the precious oil.... that came down upon the skirt"). But the "opening" is that for is that for the head, so that the Revised Version margin "collar" is the correct translation.
"Skirt" is frequently used in a euphemistic sense, for which the commentaries must be consulted.
See DRESS; TRAIN.
Skirt (16 Occurrences)
Exodus 39:25 They made bells of pure gold, and put the bells between the pomegranates around the skirts of the robe, between the pomegranates; (Root in WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY RSV)
Exodus 39:26 a bell and a pomegranate, a bell and a pomegranate, around the skirts of the robe, to minister in, as Yahweh commanded Moses. (Root in WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY RSV)
Numbers 15:38 Speak unto the sons of Israel, and thou hast said unto them, and they have made for themselves fringes on the skirts of their garments, to their generations, and they have put on the fringe of the skirt a ribbon of blue, (Root in YLT)
Deuteronomy 22:30 A man shall not take his father's wife, and shall not uncover his father's skirt. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Deuteronomy 27:20 'Cursed is he who lies with his father's wife, because he has uncovered his father's skirt.' All the people shall say,'Amen.' (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Ruth 3:9 He said, "Who are you?" She answered, "I am Ruth your handmaid. Therefore spread your skirt over your handmaid; for you are a near kinsman." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
1 Samuel 15:27 As Samuel turned about to go away, Saul grabbed the skirt of his robe, and it tore. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
1 Samuel 24:4 The men of David said to him, "Behold, the day of which Yahweh said to you,'Behold, I will deliver your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it shall seem good to you.'" Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe secretly. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
1 Samuel 24:5 It happened afterward, that David's heart struck him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
1 Samuel 24:11 Moreover, my father, behold, yes, see the skirt of your robe in my hand; for in that I cut off the skirt of your robe, and didn't kill you, know and see that there is neither evil nor disobedience in my hand, and I have not sinned against you, though you hunt for my life to take it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Psalms 133:2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; (Root in KJV ASV WBS YLT)
Isaiah 24:16 From the skirt of the earth we heard songs, The desire of the righteous. And I say, 'Leanness 'is' to me, Leanness 'is' to me, wo 'is' to me.' Treacherous dealers dealt treacherously, Yea, treachery, treacherous dealers dealt treacherously. (YLT)
Isaiah 47:2 Take millstones, and grind flour, Remove thy veil, draw up the skirt, Uncover the leg, pass over the floods. (YLT NAS NIV)
Ezekiel 16:8 Now when I passed by you, and looked at you, behold, your time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over you, and covered your nakedness: yes, I swore to you, and entered into a covenant with you, says the Lord Yahweh, and you became mine. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Haggai 2:12 If one bear holy flesh in the skirt of his garment, and with his skirt do touch bread, or pottage, or wine, or oil, or any meat, shall it be holy? And the priests answered and said, No. (KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Zechariah 8:23 Thus says Yahweh of Armies: "In those days, ten men will take hold, out of all the languages of the nations, they will take hold of the skirt of him who is a Jew, saying,'We will go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.'" (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT)