|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
With a sling and a stone David smote the Philistine giant (1 Samuel 17:40, 49). There were 700 Benjamites who were so skilled in its use that with the left hand they "could sling stones at a hair breadth, and not miss" (Judges 20:16; 1 Chronicles 12:2). It was used by the Israelites in war (2 Kings 3:25). (see ARMS.)
The words in Proverbs 26:8, "As he that bindeth a stone in a sling," etc. (Authorized Version), should rather, as in the Revised Version, be "As a bag of gems in a heap of stones," etc.
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) An instrument for throwing stones or other missiles, consisting of a short strap with two strings fastened to its ends, or with a string fastened to one end and a light stick to the other. The missile being lodged in a hole in the strap, the ends of the string are taken in the hand, and the whole whirled rapidly round until, by loosing one end, the missile is let fly with centrifugal force.
2. (n.) The act or motion of hurling as with a sling; a throw; figuratively, a stroke.
3. (n.) A contrivance for sustaining anything by suspension
4. (n.) A kind of hanging bandage put around the neck, in which a wounded arm or hand is supported.
5. (n.) A loop of rope, or a rope or chain with hooks, for suspending a barrel, bale, or other heavy object, in hoisting or lowering.
6. (n.) A strap attached to a firearm, for suspending it from the shoulder.
7. (n.) A band of rope or iron for securing a yard to a mast; -- chiefly in the plural.
8. (v. t.) To throw with a sling.
9. (v. t.) To throw; to hurl; to cast.
10. (v. t.) To hang so as to swing; as, to sling a pack.
11. (v. t.) To pass a rope round, as a cask, gun, etc., preparatory to attaching a hoisting or lowering tackle.
12. (n.) A drink composed of spirit (usually gin) and water sweetened.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
See ARMOR, III, 2.
Sling (11 Occurrences)
Judges 20:16 Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left-handed; everyone could sling stones at a hair-breadth, and not miss. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 17:40 He took his staff in his hand, and chose for himself five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in the shepherd's bag which he had, even in his wallet. His sling was in his hand; and he drew near to the Philistine. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 17:49 And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and hurled it with his sling, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth. (WBS YLT)
1 Samuel 17:50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and struck the Philistine, and killed him; but there was no sword in the hand of David. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 25:29 Though men may rise up to pursue you, and to seek your soul, yet the soul of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of life with Yahweh your God. He will sling out the souls of your enemies, as from the hollow of a sling. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 12:2 They were armed with bows, and could use both the right hand and the left in slinging stones and in shooting arrows from the bow: they were of Saul's brothers of Benjamin. (Root in WEB JPS ASV NAS RSV NIV)
2 Chronicles 26:14 Uzziah prepared for them, even for all the army, shields, and spears, and helmets, and coats of mail, and bows, and stones for slinging. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 41:28 The arrow can't make him flee. Sling stones are like chaff to him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Proverbs 26:8 As one who binds a stone in a sling, so is he who gives honor to a fool. (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Jeremiah 10:18 For thus says Yahweh, Behold, I will sling out the inhabitants of the land at this time, and will distress them, that they may feel it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Zechariah 9:15 Yahweh of Armies will defend them; and they will destroy and overcome with sling stones; and they will drink, and roar as through wine; and they will be filled like bowls, like the corners of the altar. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)