|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (a.) Sole.
2. (a.) Sole.
3. (v. i.) To afford suitable sustenance.
4. (n.) The spiritual, rational, and immortal part in man; that part of man which enables him to think, and which renders him a subject of moral government; -- sometimes, in distinction from the higher nature, or spirit, of man, the so-called animal soul, that is, the seat of life, the sensitive affections and fantasy, exclusive of the voluntary and rational powers; -- sometimes, in distinction from the mind, the moral and emotional part of man's nature, the seat of feeling, in distinction from intellect; -- sometimes, the intellect only; the understanding; the seat of knowledge, as distinguished from feeling. In a more general sense, an animating, separable, surviving entity, the vehicle of individual personal existence.
5. (n.) The seat of real life or vitality; the source of action; the animating or essential part.
6. (n.) The leader; the inspirer; the moving spirit; the heart; as, the soul of an enterprise; an able general is the soul of his army.
7. (n.) Energy; courage; spirit; fervor; affection, or any other noble manifestation of the heart or moral nature; inherent power or goodness.
8. (n.) A human being; a person; -- a familiar appellation, usually with a qualifying epithet; as, poor soul.
9. (n.) A pure or disembodied spirit.
10. (v. t.) To indue with a soul; to furnish with a soul or mind.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
sol (nephesh; psuche; Latin anima):
1. Shades of Meaning in the Old Testament:
(1) Soul, like spirit, has various shades of meaning in the Old Testament, which may be summarized as follows: "Soul," "living being," "life," "self," "person," "desire," "appetite," "emotion" and "passion" (BDB under the word). In the first instance it meant that which breathes, and as such is distinguished from basar, "flesh" (Isaiah 10:18 Deuteronomy 12:23); from she'er, "the inner flesh," next the bones (Proverbs 11:17, "his own flesh"); from beTen, "belly" (Psalm 31:10, "My soul and my belly are consumed with grief"), etc.
(2) As the life-breath, it departs at death (Genesis 35:18 Jeremiah 15:2). Hence, the desire among Old Testament saints to be delivered from Sheol (Psalm 16:10, "Thou wilt not leave my soul to Sheol") and from shachath, "the pit" (Job 33:18, "He keepeth back his soul from the pit"; Isaiah 38:17, "Thou hast.... delivered it (my soul) from the pit of corruption").
(3) By an easy transition the word comes to stand for the individual, personal life, the person, with two distinct shades of meaning which might best be indicated by the Latin anima and animus. As anima, "soul," the life inherent in the body, the animating principle in the blood is denoted (compare Deuteronomy 12:23, 24, `Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the soul; and thou shalt not eat the soul with the flesh'). As animus, "mind," the center of our mental activities and passivities is indicated. Thus we read of `a hungry soul' (Psalm 107:9), `a weary soul' (Jeremiah 31:25), `a loathing soul' (Leviticus 26:11), `a thirsty soul' (Psalm 42:2), `a grieved soul' (Job 30:25), `a loving soul' (Songs 1:7), and many kindred expressions. Cremer has characterized this use of the word in a sentence: "Nephesh (soul) in man is the subject of personal life, whereof pneuma or ruach (spirit) is the principle" (Lexicon, under the word, 795).
(4) This individuality of man, however, may be denoted by pneuma as well, but with a distinction. Nephesh or "soul" can only denote the individual life with a material organization or body. Pneuma or "spirit" is not so restricted. Scripture speaks of "spirits of just men made perfect" (Hebrews 12:23), where there can be no thought of a material or physical or corporeal organization. They are "spiritual beings freed from the assaults and defilements of the flesh" (Delitzsch, in the place cited.). For an exceptional use of psuche in the same sense see Revelation 6:9; Revelation 20:4, and (irrespective of the meaning of Psalm 16:10) Acts 2:27.
2. New Testament Distinctions:
(1) In the New Testament psuche appears under more or less similar conditions as in the Old Testament. The contrast here is as carefully maintained as there. It is used where pneuma would be out of place; and yet it seems at times to be employed where pneuma might have been substituted. Thus in John 19:30 we read: "Jesus gave up his pneuma" to the Father, and, in the same Gospel (John 10:15), Jesus gave up His "psuche for the sheep," and in Matthew 20:28 He gave His psuche (not His pneuma) as a ransom-a difference which is characteristic. For the pneuma stands in quite a different relation to God from the psuche. The "spirit" (pneuma) is the outbreathing of God into the creature, the life-principle derived from God. The "sour" (psuche) is man's individual possession, that which distinguishes one man from another and from inanimate nature. The pneuma of Christ was surrendered to the Father in death; His psuche was surrendered, His individual life was given "a ransom for many." His life "was given for the sheep"
(2) This explains those expressions in the New Testament which bear on the salvation of the soul and its preservation in the regions of the dead. "Thou wilt not leave my soul unto Hades" (the world of shades) (Acts 2:27); "Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that worketh evil" (Romans 2:9); "We are.... of them that have faith unto the saving of the soul" (Hebrews 10:39); "Receive..... the implanted word, which is able to save your souls" (James 1:21).
The same or similar expressions may be met with in the Old Testament in reference to the soul. Thus in Psalm 49:8, the King James Version "The redemption of their soul is precious" and again: "God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol" (Psalm 49:15). Perhaps this may explain-at least this is Wendt's explanation-why even a corpse is called nephesh or soul in the Old Testament, because, in the region of the dead, the individuality is retained and, in a measure, separated from God (compare Haggai 2:13 Leviticus 21:11).
3. Oehler on Soul and Spirit:
The distinction between psuche and pneuma, or nephesh and ruach, to which reference has been made, may best be described in the words of Oehler (Old Testament Theology, I, 217): "Man is not spirit, but has it: he is soul..... In the soul, which sprang from the spirit, and exists continually through it, lies the individuality-in the case of man, his personality, his self, his ego." He draws attention to the words of Elihu in Job (33:4): `God's spirit made me,' the soul called into being; `and the breath of the Almighty animates me,' the soul kept in energy and strength, in continued existence, by the Almighty, into whose hands the inbreathed spirit is surrendered, when the soul departs or is taken from us (1 Kings 19:4). Hence, according to Oehler the phrases naphshi ("my soul"), naphshekha ("thy soul") may be rendered in Latin egomet, tu ipse; but not ruchi ("my spirit"), ruchakha ("thy spirit")-soul standing for the whole person, as in Genesis 12:5; Genesis 17:14 Ezekiel 18:4, etc.
J. I. Marais
Soul (554 Occurrences)
Matthew 10:28 Don't be afraid of those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. Rather, fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 12:18 "Behold, my servant whom I have chosen; my beloved in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my Spirit on him. He will proclaim justice to the nations. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (KJV DBY WBS NAS NIV)
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 26:38 Then he said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here, and watch with me." (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (KJV DBY WBS NAS NIV)
Mark 8:37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (KJV DBY WBS NAS NIV)
Mark 12:30 you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Mark 12:33 and to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more important than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." (WEB KJV DBY WBS YLT)
Mark 14:34 He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here, and watch." (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 1:46 Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 2:35 Yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed." (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 10:27 He answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 12:19 I will tell my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, be merry."' (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 12:20 "But God said to him,'You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. The things which you have prepared-whose will they be?' (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 22:44 And being in great trouble of soul, the force of his prayer became stronger, and great drops, like blood, came from him, falling to the earth. (BBE)
John 10:24 The Jews therefore surrounded him, and said to him, Until when dost thou hold our soul in suspense? If thou art the Christ, say so to us openly. (DBY YLT)
John 12:27 "Now my soul is troubled. What shall I say?'Father, save me from this time?' But for this cause I came to this time. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Acts 2:27 because you will not leave my soul in Hades, neither will you allow your Holy One to see decay. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Acts 2:31 he foreseeing this spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that neither was his soul left in Hades, nor did his flesh see decay. (WEB KJV WBS YLT)
Acts 2:43 Fear came on every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Acts 3:23 It will be, that every soul that will not listen to that prophet will be utterly destroyed from among the people.' (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Acts 4:32 The multitude of those who believed were of one heart and soul. Not one of them claimed that anything of the things which he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Romans 2:9 oppression and anguish, on every soul of man who works evil, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Romans 13:1 Let every soul be in subjection to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those who exist are ordained by God. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT)
1 Corinthians 15:45 So also it is written, "The first man, Adam, became a living soul." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS)
2 Corinthians 1:23 But I call God for a witness to my soul, that I didn't come to Corinth to spare you. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Ephesians 6:6 not with eye-service as men-pleasers; but as bondmen of Christ, doing the will of God from the soul, (DBY YLT)
Philippians 1:27 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the Good News of Christ, that, whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your state, that you stand firm in one spirit, with one soul striving for the faith of the Good News; (WEB ASV BBE DBY YLT)
Philippians 2:2 fulfil my joy, that ye may think the same thing, having the same love, joined in soul, thinking one thing; (DBY YLT)
Colossians 3:23 and all, whatever ye may do -- out of soul work -- as to the Lord, and not to men, (YLT)
1 Thessalonians 5:23 May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Hebrews 6:19 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and entering into that which is within the veil; (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Hebrews 10:38 But the righteous will live by faith. If he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him." (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Hebrews 10:39 But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the saving of the soul. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
James 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death, and will cover a multitude of sins. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
1 Peter 2:2 Thirst, like newly-born infants, for pure milk for the soul, that by it you may grow up to salvation; (WEY)
1 Peter 2:11 Beloved, I beg you as foreigners and pilgrims, to abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Peter 2:8 (for that righteous man dwelling among them, was tormented in his righteous soul from day to day with seeing and hearing lawless deeds): (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
3 John 1:2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be healthy, even as your soul prospers. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Revelation 16:3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea. (KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Revelation 18:14 The fruits which your soul lusted after have been lost to you, and all things that were dainty and sumptuous have perished from you, and you will find them no more at all. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Genesis 1:21 And God created the great sea monsters, and every living soul that moves with which the waters swarm, after their kind, and every winged fowl after its kind. And God saw that it was good. (DBY)
Genesis 1:30 and to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the heavens, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for food: and it was so. (See JPS DBY)
Genesis 2:7 Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS)
Genesis 2:19 And out of the ground Jehovah Elohim had formed every animal of the field and all fowl of the heavens, and brought them to Man, to see what he would call them; and whatever Man called each living soul, that was its name. (DBY)
Genesis 9:10 and with every living soul which is with you, fowl as well as cattle, and all the animals of the earth with you, of all that has gone out of the ark every animal of the earth. (DBY)
Genesis 9:12 And God said, This is the sign of the covenant that I set between me and you and every living soul that is with you, for everlasting generations: (DBY)
Genesis 9:15 and I will remember my covenant which is between me and you and every living soul of all flesh; and the waters shall not henceforth become a flood to destroy all flesh. (DBY)
Genesis 9:16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living soul of all flesh that is upon the earth. (DBY)
Genesis 12:13 Please say that you are my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that my soul may live because of you." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Genesis 17:14 The uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that soul shall be cut off from his people. He has broken my covenant." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Genesis 19:19 behold now, thy servant has found favour in thine eyes, and thou hast magnified thy goodness, which thou hast shewn to me in preserving my soul alive; but I cannot escape to the mountain, lest calamity lay hold on me, that I die. (DBY)
Genesis 19:20 See now, this city is near to flee to, and it is a little one. Oh let me escape there (isn't it a little one?), and my soul will live." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Genesis 27:4 Make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat, and that my soul may bless you before I die." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Genesis 27:10 and thou hast taken in to thy father, and he hath eaten, so that his soul doth bless thee before his death. (YLT)
Genesis 27:19 Jacob said to his father, "I am Esau your firstborn. I have done what you asked me to do. Please arise, sit and eat of my venison, that your soul may bless me." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Genesis 27:25 He said, "Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son's venison, that my soul may bless you." He brought it near to him, and he ate. He brought him wine, and he drank. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Genesis 27:31 He also made savory food, and brought it to his father. He said to his father, "Let my father arise, and eat of his son's venison, that your soul may bless me." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Genesis 34:3 His soul joined to Dinah, the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the young lady, and spoke kindly to the young lady. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Genesis 34:8 Hamor talked with them, saying, "The soul of my son, Shechem, longs for your daughter. Please give her to him as a wife. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Genesis 35:18 It happened, as her soul was departing (for she died), that she named him Benoni, but his father named him Benjamin. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Genesis 42:21 They said one to another, "We are certainly guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the distress of his soul, when he begged us, and we wouldn't listen. Therefore this distress has come upon us." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Genesis 44:30 Now therefore when I come to thy servant my father, and the lad is not with us; seeing that his life is bound up in the lad's life; (See JPS YLT)
Genesis 49:6 My soul, don't come into their council. My glory, don't be united to their assembly; for in their anger they killed men. In their self-will they hamstrung cattle. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Exodus 12:15 "'Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread; even the first day you shall put away yeast out of your houses, for whoever eats leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Exodus 12:19 Seven days shall there be no yeast found in your houses, for whoever eats that which is leavened, that soul shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he be a foreigner, or one who is born in the land. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Exodus 15:9 The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my soul shall be sated upon them; I will unsheath my sword, my hand shall dispossess them. (DBY YLT)
Exodus 23:9 And a sojourner thou dost not oppress, and ye -- ye have known the soul of the sojourner, for sojourners ye have been in the land of Egypt. (YLT)
Exodus 30:12 "When you take a census of the children of Israel, according to those who are numbered among them, then each man shall give a ransom for his soul to Yahweh, when you number them; that there be no plague among them when you number them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Exodus 31:14 You shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Leviticus 4:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them: (KJV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 5:1 And if a soul sin, and hear the voice of swearing, and is a witness, whether he hath seen or known of it; if he do not utter it, then he shall bear his iniquity. (KJV WBS)
Leviticus 5:2 Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcass of an unclean beast, or a carcass of unclean cattle, or the carcass of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty. (KJV WBS)
Leviticus 5:4 Or if a soul swear, pronouncing with his lips to do evil, or to do good, whatsoever it be that a man shall pronounce with an oath, and it be hid from him; when he knoweth of it, then he shall be guilty in one of these. (KJV WBS)
Leviticus 5:15 If a soul commit a trespass, and sin through ignorance, in the holy things of the LORD; then he shall bring for his trespass unto the LORD a ram without blemish out of the flocks, with thy estimation by shekels of silver, after the shekel of the sanctuary, for a trespass offering. (KJV WBS)
Leviticus 5:17 And if a soul sin, and commit any of these things which are forbidden to be done by the commandments of the LORD; though he wist it not, yet is he guilty, and shall bear his iniquity. (KJV WBS)
Leviticus 6:2 If a soul sin, and commit a trespass against the LORD, and lie unto his neighbor in that which was delivered him to keep, or in fellowship, or in a thing taken away by violence, or hath deceived his neighbor; (KJV WBS)
Leviticus 7:18 If any of the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace offerings is eaten on the third day, it will not be accepted, neither shall it be imputed to him who offers it. It will be an abomination, and the soul who eats any of it will bear his iniquity. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 7:20 but the soul who eats of the flesh of the sacrifice of peace offerings, that belongs to Yahweh, having his uncleanness on him, that soul shall be cut off from his people. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 7:21 When anyone touches any unclean thing, the uncleanness of man, or an unclean animal, or any unclean abomination, and eats some of the flesh of the sacrifice of peace offerings, which belong to Yahweh, that soul shall be cut off from his people.'" (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 7:25 For whoever eats the fat of the animal, of which men offer an offering made by fire to Yahweh, even the soul who eats it shall be cut off from his people. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 7:27 Whoever it is who eats any blood, that soul shall be cut off from his people.'" (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 11:10 but all that have not fins and scales in seas and in rivers, of all that swarm in the waters, and of every living soul which is in the waters they shall be an abomination unto you. (DBY)
Leviticus 11:46 This is the law of cattle, and of fowl, and of every living soul that moveth in the waters, and of every soul that crawleth on the earth; (DBY)
Leviticus 17:10 "'Any man of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who live as foreigners among them, who eats any kind of blood, I will set my face against that soul who eats blood, and will cut him off from among his people. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that makes atonement by reason of the life. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Leviticus 17:12 Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 17:15 And every soul that eateth that which died of itself, or that which was torn with beasts, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger, he shall both wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even: then shall he be clean. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 19:8 but everyone who eats it shall bear his iniquity, because he has profaned the holy thing of Yahweh, and that soul shall be cut off from his people. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 19:28 And a cutting for the soul ye do not put in your flesh; and a writing, a cross-mark, ye do not put on you; I 'am' Jehovah. (YLT)
Leviticus 20:6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 20:23 And do not keep the rules of the nations which I am driving out before you; for they did all these things, and for that reason my soul was turned against them. (BBE)
Leviticus 22:3 "Tell them,'If anyone of all your seed throughout your generations approaches the holy things, which the children of Israel make holy to Yahweh, having his uncleanness on him, that soul shall be cut off from before me. I am Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 22:6 The soul which hath touched any such shall be unclean until even, and shall not eat of the holy things, unless he wash his flesh with water. (KJV JPS ASV WBS)
Leviticus 22:11 But if the priest buy any soul with his money, he shall eat of it, and he that is born in his house: they shall eat of his meat. (KJV JPS ASV WBS)
Leviticus 23:29 For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 23:30 And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 24:17 And when a man smiteth any soul of man, he is certainly put to death. (YLT)