|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v.) imp. & p. p. of Spin.
2. (n.) The space from the thumb to the end of the little finger when extended; nine inches; eighth of a fathom.
3. (v. t.) Hence, a small space or a brief portion of time.
4. (n.) The spread or extent of an arch between its abutments, or of a beam, girder, truss, roof, bridge, or the like, between its supports.
5. (n.) A rope having its ends made fast so that a purchase can be hooked to the bight; also, a rope made fast in the center so that both ends can be used.
6. (n.) A pair of horses or other animals driven together; usually, such a pair of horses when similar in color, form, and action.
7. (v. t.) To measure by the span of the hand with the fingers extended, or with the fingers encompassing the object; as, to span a space or distance; to span a cylinder.
8. (v. t.) To reach from one side of to the order; to stretch over as an arch.
9. (v. t.) To fetter, as a horse; to hobble.
10. (v. i.) To be matched, as horses.
11. (imp.) of Spin
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(zereth; spithame): A measure of length equal to half a cubit or about 9 in. (Exodus 28:16; Exodus 39:9 1 Samuel 17:4, etc.). Lamentations 2:20 the King James Version is a mistranslation; see the Revised Version (British and American).
See WEIGHTS AND MEASURES.
Span (14 Occurrences)
Matthew 6:27 "Which of you, by being anxious, can add one moment to his lifespan? (Root in WEB RSV)
Luke 12:25 Which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his height? (See NAS RSV)
Acts 17:26 He caused to spring from one forefather people of every race, for them to live on the whole surface of the earth, and marked out for them an appointed span of life and the boundaries of their homes; (WEY)
Exodus 23:26 No one will miscarry or be barren in your land. I will fulfill the number of your days. (See NIV)
Exodus 28:16 It shall be square and folded double; a span shall be its length of it, and a span its breadth. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 39:9 It was square. They made the breastplate double. Its length was a span, and its breadth a span, being double. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 17:4 There went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Psalms 39:5 Behold, you have made my days handbreadths. My lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely every man stands as a breath." Selah. (See NIV)
Psalms 89:47 Remember how short my time is! For what vanity have you created all the children of men! (See NAS)
Psalms 90:10 The days of our years are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty years; yet their pride is but labor and sorrow, for it passes quickly, and we fly away. (See RSV NIV)
Isaiah 23:15 And it will be in that day that Tyre will go out of mind for seventy years, that is, the days of one king: after the end of seventy years it will be for Tyre as in the song of the loose woman. (See NIV)
Isaiah 40:12 Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and marked off the sky with his span, and calculated the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance? (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Lamentations 2:20 Behold, O LORD, and consider to whom thou hast done this. Shall the women eat their fruit, and children of a span long? shall the priest and the prophet be slain in the sanctuary of the Lord? (KJV WBS)
Ezekiel 43:13 These are the measures of the altar by cubits (the cubit is a cubit and a handbreadth): the bottom shall be a cubit, and the breadth a cubit, and its border around its edge a span; and this shall be the base of the altar. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)