|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) To move to one side and the other, as if about to fall, in standing or walking; not to stand or walk with steadiness; to sway; to reel or totter.
2. (n.) To cease to stand firm; to begin to give way; to fail.
3. (n.) To begin to doubt and waver in purposes; to become less confident or determined; to hesitate.
4. (v. t.) To cause to reel or totter.
5. (v. t.) To cause to doubt and waver; to make to hesitate; to make less steady or confident; to shock.
6. (v. t.) To arrange (a series of parts) on each side of a median line alternately, as the spokes of a wheel or the rivets of a boiler seam.
7. (n.) An unsteady movement of the body in walking or standing, as if one were about to fall; a reeling motion; vertigo; -- often in the plural; as, the stagger of a drunken man.
8. (n.) A disease of horses and other animals, attended by reeling, unsteady gait or sudden falling; as, parasitic staggers; appopletic or sleepy staggers.
9. (n.) Bewilderment; perplexity.
Stagger (20 Occurrences)
Romans 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; (Root in KJV WEY WBS YLT)
Judges 9:9 And the olive saith to them, Have I ceased from my fatness, by which they honour gods and men, that I have gone to stagger over the trees? (YLT)
Judges 9:11 And the fig saith to them, Have I ceased from my sweetness, and my good increase, that I have gone to stagger over the trees? (YLT)
Judges 9:13 And the vine saith to them, Have I ceased from my new wine, which is rejoicing gods and men, that I have gone to stagger over the trees? (YLT)
Job 12:25 They grope in the dark without light. He makes them stagger like a drunken man. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 60:3 You have shown your people hard things. You have made us drink the wine that makes us stagger. (WEB JPS ASV NAS NIV)
Psalms 107:27 They reel back and forth, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Proverbs 24:11 Rescue those who are being led away to death! Indeed, hold back those who are staggering to the slaughter! (Root in WEB DBY NAS NIV)
Isaiah 19:14 Yahweh has mixed a spirit of perverseness in the midst of her; and they have caused Egypt to go astray in all of its works, like a drunken man staggers in his vomit. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 24:20 The earth will stagger like a drunken man, and will sway back and forth like a hammock. Its disobedience will be heavy on it, and it will fall and not rise again. (WEB ASV YLT RSV)
Isaiah 28:7 They also reel with wine, and stagger with strong drink. The priest and the prophet reel with strong drink. They are swallowed up by wine. They stagger with strong drink. They err in vision. They stumble in judgment. (WEB JPS ASV NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 29:9 Pause and wonder! Blind yourselves and be blind! They are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 51:17 Awake, awake, stand up, Jerusalem, that have drunk at the hand of Yahweh the cup of his wrath; you have drunken the bowl of the cup of staggering, and drained it. (Root in WEB JPS ASV RSV NIV)
Isaiah 51:22 Thus says your Lord Yahweh, and your God who pleads the cause of his people, "Behold, I have taken out of your hand the cup of staggering, even the bowl of the cup of my wrath; you shall no more drink it again: (Root in WEB JPS ASV RSV NIV)
Jeremiah 25:16 They shall drink, and reel back and forth, and be mad, because of the sword that I will send among them. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Lamentations 5:13 The young men bare the mill; The children stumbled under the wood. (See RSV NIV)
Amos 4:8 So two or three cities staggered to one city to drink water, and were not satisfied: yet you haven't returned to me," says Yahweh. (Root in WEB NAS NIV)
Amos 8:12 They will wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east; they will run back and forth to seek the word of Yahweh, and will not find it. (See NAS NIV)
Obadiah 1:16 For as you have drunk on my holy mountain, so will all the nations drink continually. Yes, they will drink, swallow down, and will be as though they had not been. (See RSV)
Habakkuk 2:16 You are filled with shame, and not glory. You will also drink, and be exposed! The cup of Yahweh's right hand will come around to you, and disgrace will cover your glory. (See RSV)