|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
The "bow of steel" in (A.V.) 2 Samuel 22:35; Job 20:24; Psalm 18:34 is in the Revised Version "bow of brass" (Hebrews kesheth-nehushah). In Jeremiah 15:12 the same word is used, and is also rendered in the Revised Version "brass." But more correctly it is copper (q.v.), as brass in the ordinary sense of the word (an alloy of copper and zinc) was not known to the ancients.
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) A variety of iron intermediate in composition and properties between wrought iron and cast iron (containing between one half of one per cent and one and a half per cent of carbon), and consisting of an alloy of iron with an iron carbide. Steel, unlike wrought iron, can be tempered, and retains magnetism. Its malleability decreases, and fusibility increases, with an increase in carbon.
2. (n.) An instrument or implement made of steel
3. (n.) A weapon, as a sword, dagger, etc.
4. (n.) An instrument of steel (usually a round rod) for sharpening knives.
5. (n.) A piece of steel for striking sparks from flint.
6. (n.) Fig.: Anything of extreme hardness; that which is characterized by sternness or rigor.
7. (n.) A chalybeate medicine.
8. (n.) To overlay, point, or edge with steel; as, to steel a razor; to steel an ax.
9. (n.) To make hard or strong; hence, to make insensible or obdurate.
10. (n.) Fig.: To cause to resemble steel, as in smoothness, polish, or other qualities.
11. (n.) To cover, as an electrotype plate, with a thin layer of iron by electrolysis. The iron thus deposited is very hard, like steel.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
stel: the Revised Version (British and American) substitutes "brass" for "steel" in 2 Samuel 22:35 Job 20:24 Psalm 18:34 Jeremiah 15:12, and "steel" for "torches" in Nahum 2:3.
Steel (7 Occurrences)
Revelation 9:9 They had breast-plates which seemed to be made of steel; and the noise caused by their wings was like that of a vast number of horses and chariots hurrying into battle. (WEY)
Revelation 18:12 cargoes of gold and silver, of jewels and pearls, of fine linen, purple and silk, and of scarlet stuff; all kinds of rare woods, and all kinds of goods in ivory and in very costly wood, in bronze, steel and marble. (WEY)
2 Samuel 22:35 He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. (KJV WBS)
Job 20:24 He shall flee from the iron weapon, and the bow of steel shall strike him through. (KJV WBS)
Psalms 18:34 He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. (KJV WBS)
Jeremiah 15:12 Shall iron break the northern iron and the steel? (KJV WBS)
Nahum 2:3 The shield of his mighty men is made red. The valiant men are in scarlet. The chariots flash with steel in the day of his preparation, and the pine spears are brandished. (WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS)