|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v.) To move the foot in walking; to advance or recede by raising and moving one of the feet to another resting place, or by moving both feet in succession.
2. (v.) To walk; to go on foot; esp., to walk a little distance; as, to step to one of the neighbors.
3. (v.) To walk slowly, gravely, or resolutely.
4. (a.) Fig.: To move mentally; to go in imagination.
5. (v. t.) To set, as the foot.
6. (v. t.) To fix the foot of (a mast) in its step; to erect.
7. (n.) An advance or movement made by one removal of the foot; a pace.
8. (n.) A rest, or one of a set of rests, for the foot in ascending or descending, as a stair, or a round of a ladder.
9. (n.) The space passed over by one movement of the foot in walking or running; as, one step is generally about three feet, but may be more or less. Used also figuratively of any kind of progress; as, he improved step by step, or by steps.
10. (n.) A small space or distance; as, it is but a step.
11. (n.) A print of the foot; a footstep; a footprint; track.
12. (v. i.) Gait; manner of walking; as, the approach of a man is often known by his step.
13. (v. i.) Proceeding; measure; action; an act.
14. (v. i.) Walk; passage.
15. (n.) A portable framework of stairs, much used indoors in reaching to a high position.
16. (v. i.) In general, a framing in wood or iron which is intended to receive an upright shaft; specif., a block of wood, or a solid platform upon the keelson, supporting the heel of the mast.
17. (n.) One of a series of offsets, or parts, resembling the steps of stairs, as one of the series of parts of a cone pulley on which the belt runs.
18. (n.) A bearing in which the lower extremity of a spindle or a vertical shaft revolves.
19. (n.) The interval between two contiguous degrees of the scale.
20. (n.) A change of position effected by a motion of translation.
Step (41 Occurrences)
Matthew 1:20 But while he was contemplating this step, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to bring home your wife Mary, for she is with child through the Holy Spirit. (WEY)
Mark 12:13 Their next step was to send to Him some of the Pharisees and of Herod's partisans to entrap Him in conversation. (WEY)
Galatians 5:25 If we live by the Spirit, let's also walk by the Spirit. (See NIV)
1 Timothy 3:13 for those who did minister well a good step to themselves do acquire, and much boldness in faith that 'is' in Christ Jesus. (YLT)
James 1:8 such a one is a man of two minds, undecided in every step he takes. (WEY)
Genesis 2:23 and the man saith, 'This 'is' the 'proper' step! bone of my bone, and flesh of my flesh!' for this it is called Woman, for from a man hath this been taken; (YLT)
Genesis 49:22 Joseph is a young ox, whose steps are turned to the fountain; (Root in BBE YLT)
Deuteronomy 21:5 And the priests the sons of Levi shall come near--for them the LORD thy God hath chosen to minister unto Him, and to bless in the name of the LORD; and according to their word shall every controversy and every stroke be. (See NIV)
Judges 19:27 In the morning her master got up, and opening the door of the house went out to go on his way; and he saw his servant-wife stretched on the earth at the door of the house with her hands on the step. (BBE NIV)
1 Samuel 5:5 So to this day no priest of Dagon, or any who come into Dagon's house, will put his foot on the doorstep of the house of Dagon in Ashdod. (Root in BBE NIV)
1 Samuel 20:3 David swore moreover, and said, "Your father knows well that I have found favor in your eyes; and he says,'Don't let Jonathan know this, lest he be grieved:' but truly as Yahweh lives, and as your soul lives, there is but a step between me and death." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 22:37 You have enlarged my steps under me. My feet have not slipped. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
1 Kings 10:20 Twelve lions stood there on the one side and on the other on the six steps: there was nothing like it made in any kingdom. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Chronicles 9:19 Twelve lions stood there on the one side and on the other on the six steps: there was nothing like it made in any kingdom. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 18:7 The steps of his strength shall be shortened. His own counsel shall cast him down. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Job 18:11 He is overcome by fears on every side, they go after him at every step. (BBE DBY NAS NIV)
Job 18:14 Drawn from his tent is his confidence, And it causeth him to step to the king of terrors. (YLT)
Job 23:11 My foot has held fast to his steps. I have kept his way, and not turned aside. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Job 31:4 Doesn't he see my ways, and number all my steps? (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 31:7 if my step has turned out of the way, if my heart walked after my eyes, if any defilement has stuck to my hands, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 31:37 I would declare to him the number of my steps. as a prince would I go near to him. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 34:21 For his eyes are on the ways of a man, and he sees all his steps. (Root in BBE DBY YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 17:11 They have now surrounded us in our steps. They set their eyes to cast us down to the earth. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Psalms 18:36 You have enlarged my steps under me, My feet have not slipped. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Psalms 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart. None of his steps shall slide. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Psalms 44:18 Our heart has not turned back, neither have our steps strayed from your path, (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Psalms 89:51 With which your enemies have mocked, Yahweh, with which they have mocked the footsteps of your anointed one. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 119:33 HE. Teach me, O Jehovah, the way of thy statutes; And I shall keep it unto the end. (See JPS)
Psalms 119:112 I have inclined my heart to perform thy statutes For ever, even unto the end. (See JPS)
Proverbs 4:12 When you go, your steps will not be hampered. When you run, you will not stumble. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Proverbs 7:8 Passing on in the street, near her corner, And the way 'to' her house he doth step, (YLT)
Proverbs 14:15 The simple man has faith in every word, but the man of good sense gives thought to his footsteps. (Root in BBE YLT NAS NIV)
Proverbs 16:9 A man's heart plans his course, but Yahweh directs his steps. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Proverbs 30:29 There are three things whose steps are good to see, even four whose goings are fair: (Root in BBE DBY)
Isaiah 9:5 For every boot of the man of war with his sounding step, and the clothing rolled in blood, will be for burning, food for the fire. (BBE)
Isaiah 27:4 Wrath is not in me: would that the briers and thorns were against me in battle! I would march upon them, I would burn them together. (See JPS YLT NAS)
Isaiah 41:2 Who hath raised up one from the east, at whose steps victory attendeth? He giveth nations before him, and maketh him rule over kings; his sword maketh them as the dust, his bow as the driven stubble. (Root in JPS RSV)
Jeremiah 10:5 As a palm they 'are' stiff, and they speak not, They are surely borne, for they step not, Be not afraid of them, for they do no evil, Yea, also to do good is not in them. (YLT)
Jeremiah 10:23 Yahweh, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man who walks to direct his steps. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Lamentations 4:18 They hunt our steps, so that we can't go in our streets: Our end is near, our days are fulfilled; for our end is come. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 26:16 Then all the princes of the sea shall come down from their thrones, and lay aside their robes, and strip off their embroidered garments: they shall clothe themselves with trembling; they shall sit on the ground, and shall tremble every moment, and be astonished at you. (See RSV NIV)