|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The black tern.
2. (superl.) Having a certain hardness or severity of nature, manner, or aspect; hard; severe; rigid; rigorous; austere; fixed; unchanging; unrelenting; hence, serious; resolute; harsh; as, a stern resolve; a stern necessity; a stern heart; a stern gaze; a stern decree.
3. (n.) The helm or tiller of a vessel or boat; also, the rudder.
4. (n.) The after or rear end of a ship or other vessel, or of a boat; the part opposite to the stem, or prow.
5. (v. t.) Fig.: The post of management or direction.
6. (n.) The hinder part of anything.
7. (n.) The tail of an animal; -- now used only of the tail of a dog.
8. (a.) Being in the stern, or being astern; as, the stern davits.
Stern (8 Occurrences)
Matthew 9:30 Then their eyes were opened. And assuming a stern tone Jesus said to them, "Be careful to let no one know." (WEY NAS RSV NIV)
Mark 4:38 He himself was in the stern, asleep on the cushion, and they woke him up, and told him, "Teacher, don't you care that we are dying?" (WEB WEY ASV DBY YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 27:29 Fearing that we would run aground on rocky ground, they let go four anchors from the stern, and wished for daylight. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 27:41 But coming to a place where two seas met, they ran the vessel aground. The bow struck and remained immovable, but the stern began to break up by the violence of the waves. (WEB WEY ASV DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 28:50 a nation of fierce facial expressions, that shall not respect the person of the old, nor show favor to the young, (See RSV)
Proverbs 15:10 There is stern discipline for one who forsakes the way: whoever hates reproof shall die. (WEB NIV)
Ecclesiastes 8:1 Who is like the wise man? and to whom is the sense of anything clear? A man's wisdom makes his face shining, and his hard face will be changed. (See NAS)
Isaiah 21:2 A vision of fear comes before my eyes; the worker of deceit goes on in his false way, and the waster goes on making waste. Up! Elam; to the attack! Media; I have put an end to her sorrow. (See RSV)