|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) A small shoot, or branch, separated, as by a cutting, from a tree or shrub; also, any stem or branch of a tree, of any size, cut for fuel or timber.
2. (v. t.) Any long and comparatively slender piece of wood, whether in natural form or shaped with tools; a rod; a wand; a staff; as, the stick of a rocket; a walking stick.
3. (v. t.) Anything shaped like a stick; as, a stick of wax.
4. (n.) A derogatory expression for a person; one who is inert or stupid; as, an odd stick; a poor stick.
5. (n.) A composing stick. See under Composing. It is usually a frame of metal, but for posters, handbills, etc., one made of wood is used.
6. (n.) A thrust with a pointed instrument; a stab.
7. (n.) To penetrate with a pointed instrument; to pierce; to stab; hence, to kill by piercing; as, to stick a beast.
8. (n.) To cause to penetrate; to push, thrust, or drive, so as to pierce; as, to stick a needle into one's finger.
9. (n.) To fasten, attach, or cause to remain, by thrusting in; hence, also, to adorn or deck with things fastened on as by piercing; as, to stick a pin on the sleeve.
10. (n.) To set; to fix in; as, to stick card teeth.
11. (n.) To set with something pointed; as, to stick cards.
12. (n.) To fix on a pointed instrument; to impale; as, to stick an apple on a fork.
13. (n.) To attach by causing to adhere to the surface; as, to stick on a plaster; to stick a stamp on an envelope; also, to attach in any manner.
14. (n.) To compose; to set, or arrange, in a composing stick; as, to stick type.
15. (n.) To run or plane (moldings) in a machine, in contradistinction to working them by hand. Such moldings are said to be stuck.
16. (n.) To cause to stick; to bring to a stand; to pose; to puzzle; as, to stick one with a hard problem.
17. (n.) To impose upon; to compel to pay; sometimes, to cheat.
18. (v. i.) To adhere; as, glue sticks to the fingers; paste sticks to the wall.
19. (v. i.) To remain where placed; to be fixed; to hold fast to any position so as to be moved with difficulty; to cling; to abide; to cleave; to be united closely.
20. (v. i.) To be prevented from going farther; to stop by reason of some obstacle; to be stayed.
21. (v. i.) To be embarrassed or puzzled; to hesitate; to be deterred, as by scruples; to scruple; -- often with at.
22. (v. i.) To cause difficulties, scruples, or hesitation.
Stick (47 Occurrences)
Matthew 10:10 no bag for your journey, nor change of linen, nor shoes, nor stick; for the labourer deserves his food. (WEY BBE)
Matthew 27:48 Immediately one of them ran, and took a sponge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him a drink. (See NIV)
Mark 6:8 He charged them to take nothing for the journey except a stick; no bread, no bag, and not a penny in their pockets, (WEY BBE)
Mark 15:19 And they gave him blows on the head with a stick and put shame on him and, going down on their knees, gave him worship. (BBE)
Mark 15:36 One ran, and filling a sponge full of vinegar, put it on a reed, and gave it to him to drink, saying, "Let him be. Let's see whether Elijah comes to take him down." (See NIV)
Luke 9:3 And He commanded them, "Take nothing for your journey; neither stick nor bag nor bread nor money; and do not have an extra under garment. (WEY BBE)
John 19:29 Now there was a vessel ready, full of bitter wine, and they put a sponge full of it on a stick and put it to his mouth. (BBE)
Hebrews 11:21 By faith Jacob gave a blessing to the two sons of Joseph, when he was near to death; and gave God worship, supported by his stick. (BBE)
Genesis 32:10 I am less than nothing in comparison with all your mercies and your faith to me your servant; for with only my stick in my hand I went across Jordan, and now I have become two armies. (BBE)
Genesis 38:18 And he said, What would you have? And she said, Your ring and its cord and the stick in your hand. So he gave them to her and went in to her, and she became with child by him. (BBE)
Genesis 38:25 And while she was being taken out, she sent word to her father-in-law, saying, The man whose property these things are, is the father of my child: say then, whose are this ring and this cord and this stick? (BBE)
Exodus 21:19 If he is able to get up again and go about with a stick, the other will be let off; only he will have to give him payment for the loss of his time, and see that he is cared for till he is well. (BBE)
Numbers 22:27 And the ass saw the angel of the Lord and went down on the earth under Balaam; and full of wrath, Balaam gave her hard blows with his stick. (BBE NAS)
Deuteronomy 23:13 and you shall have a paddle among your weapons; and it shall be, when you sit down abroad, you shall dig therewith, and shall turn back and cover that which comes from you: (See RSV)
Judges 6:21 Then the angel of the Lord put out the stick which was in his hand, touching the meat and the cakes with the end of it; and a flame came up out of the rock, burning up the meat and the cakes: and the angel of the Lord was seen no longer. (BBE)
Judges 15:4 So Samson went and got three hundred foxes and some sticks of fire-wood; and he put the foxes tail to tail with a stick between every two tails; (Root in BBE)
1 Samuel 17:40 Then he took his stick in his hand, and got five smooth stones from the bed of the stream and put them in a bag such as is used by sheep-keepers; and in his hand was a leather band used for sending stones: and so he went in the direction of the Philistine. (BBE NAS)
2 Samuel 23:21 And he made an attack on an Egyptian, a tall man: and the Egyptian had a spear in his hand; but he went down to him with a stick, and pulling the spear out of the hands of the Egyptian, put him to death with that same spear. (BBE)
2 Kings 4:31 And Gehazi went on before them and put the stick on the child's face; but there was no voice, and no one gave attention. So he went back, and meeting him gave him the news, saying, The child is not awake. (BBE)
2 Kings 6:6 The man of God asked, "Where did it fall?" He showed him the place. He cut down a stick, threw it in there, and made the iron float. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 11:23 And he made an attack on an Egyptian, a very tall man about five cubits high, armed with a spear like a cloth-worker's rod; he went down to him with a stick, and pulling his spear out of the hand of the Egyptian, put him to death with that same spear. (BBE)
Job 19:20 My bones stick to my skin and to my flesh. I have escaped by the skin of my teeth. (WEB)
Job 33:21 His flesh is so consumed away, that it can't be seen. His bones that were not seen stick out. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Job 38:38 when the dust runs into a mass, and the clods of earth stick together? (WEB NAS NIV)
Job 41:17 They are joined one to another. They stick together, so that they can't be pulled apart. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Job 41:29 A thick stick is no better than a leaf of grass, and he makes sport of the onrush of the spear. (BBE)
Psalms 38:2 For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore. (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Psalms 102:5 By reason of the voice of my groaning, my bones stick to my skin. (WEB)
Psalms 137:6 Let my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth if I don't remember you; if I don't prefer Jerusalem above my chief joy. (WEB)
Isaiah 10:15 Will the axe say high-sounding words against him who is using it, or the blade be full of pride against him who is cutting with it? As if a rod had the power of shaking him who is using it, or as if a stick might take up him who is not wood. (BBE)
Isaiah 10:24 For this cause the Lord, the Lord of armies, says, O my people living in Zion, have no fear of the Assyrian, even if his rod comes on your back, and his stick is lifted up as in Egypt. (BBE)
Isaiah 14:5 The stick of the evil-doers, the rod of the rulers, is broken by the Lord; (BBE)
Isaiah 28:27 For the dill are not threshed with a sharp instrument, neither is a cart wheel turned over the cumin; but the dill is beaten out with a stick, and the cumin with a rod. (WEB BBE RSV NIV)
Isaiah 57:4 Against whom do you sport yourselves? Against whom do you make a wide mouth, and stick out your tongue? Aren't you children of disobedience, a seed of falsehood, (WEB NAS NIV)
Lamentations 4:8 Their visage is blacker than a coal; they are not known in the streets: Their skin cleaves to their bones; it is withered, it is become like a stick. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NIV)
Ezekiel 3:26 and I will make your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth, that you shall be mute, and shall not be to them a reprover; for they are a rebellious house. (WEB NAS NIV)
Ezekiel 21:10 it is sharpened that it may make a slaughter; it is furbished that it may be as lightning: shall we then make mirth? the rod of my son, it condemns every tree. (See NIV)
Ezekiel 29:4 I will put hooks in your jaws, and I will make the fish of your rivers stick to your scales; and I will bring you up out of the midst of your rivers, with all the fish of your rivers which stick to your scales. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 37:16 You, son of man, take one stick, and write on it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write on it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions: Hosea (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 37:17 and join them for you one to another into one stick, that they may become one in your hand. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 37:19 tell them, Thus says the Lord Yahweh: Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his companions; and I will put them with it, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in my hand. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Hosea 4:12 My people consult with their wooden idol, and answer to a stick of wood. Indeed the spirit of prostitution has led them astray, and they have been unfaithful to their God. (WEB NIV)
Hosea 10:7 Samaria and her king float away, like a twig on the water. (See NAS)
Amos 4:11 "I have overthrown some of you, as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and you were like a burning stick plucked out of the fire; yet you haven't returned to me," says Yahweh. Malachi (WEB BBE NIV)
Zechariah 3:2 Yahweh said to Satan, "Yahweh rebuke you, Satan! Yes, Yahweh who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Isn't this a burning stick plucked out of the fire?" (WEB NIV)
Zechariah 8:4 This is what the Lord of armies has said: There will again be old men and old women seated in the open spaces of Jerusalem, every man with his stick in his hand because he is so old. (BBE)
Zechariah 12:6 In that day I will make the families of Judah like a pot with fire in it among trees, and like a flaming stick among cut grain; they will send destruction on all the peoples round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem will be living again in the place which is hers, that is, in Jerusalem. (BBE)