|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (imp.) Struck.
2. (n.) The act of striking; a blow; a hit; a knock; esp., a violent or hostile attack made with the arm or hand, or with an instrument or weapon.
3. (n.) The result of effect of a striking; injury or affliction; soreness.
4. (n.) The striking of the clock to tell the hour.
5. (n.) A gentle, caressing touch or movement upon something; a stroking.
6. (n.) A mark or dash in writing or printing; a line; the touch of a pen or pencil; as, an up stroke; a firm stroke.
7. (v. t.) Hence, by extension, an addition or amendment to a written composition; a touch; as, to give some finishing strokes to an essay.
8. (n.) A sudden attack of disease; especially, a fatal attack; a severe disaster; any affliction or calamity, especially a sudden one; as, a stroke of apoplexy; the stroke of death.
9. (n.) A throb or beat, as of the heart.
10. (n.) One of a series of beats or movements against a resisting medium, by means of which movement through or upon it is accomplished; as, the stroke of a bird's wing in flying, or an oar in rowing, of a skater, swimmer, etc.
11. (n.) The rate of succession of stroke; as, a quick stroke.
12. (n.) The oar nearest the stern of a boat, by which the other oars are guided; -- called also stroke oar.
13. (n.) The rower who pulls the stroke oar; the strokes man.
14. (n.) A powerful or sudden effort by which something is done, produced, or accomplished; also, something done or accomplished by such an effort; as, a stroke of genius; a stroke of business; a master stroke of policy.
15. (n.) The movement, in either direction, of the piston plunger, piston rod, crosshead, etc., as of a steam engine or a pump, in which these parts have a reciprocating motion; as, the forward stroke of a piston; also, the entire distance passed through, as by a piston, in such a movement; as, the piston is at half stroke.
16. (v. t.) Power; influence.
17. (v. t.) Appetite.
18. (v. t.) To strike.
19. (v. t.) To rib gently in one direction; especially, to pass the hand gently over by way of expressing kindness or tenderness; to caress; to soothe.
20. (v. t.) To make smooth by rubbing.
21. (v. t.) To give a finely fluted surface to.
22. (v. t.) To row the stroke oar of; as, to stroke a boat.
Stroke (26 Occurrences)
Matthew 5:18 For most certainly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. (WEB NAS NIV)
Luke 16:17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one tiny stroke of a pen in the law to fall. (WEB NAS NIV)
Revelation 13:3 And 'I saw' one of his heads as though it had been smitten unto death; and his death-stroke was healed: and the whole earth wondered after the beast; (ASV YLT)
Revelation 13:12 And he exerciseth all the authority of the first beast in his sight. And he maketh the earth and them dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose death-stroke was healed. (ASV YLT)
Revelation 13:14 And his power of leading astray the inhabitants of the earth is due to the marvels which he has been permitted to work in the presence of the Wild Beast. And he told the inhabitants of the earth to erect a statue to the Wild Beast who had received the sword-stroke and yet had recovered. (WEY ASV YLT)
Deuteronomy 19:5 as when a man goes into the forest with his neighbor to chop wood, and his hand fetches a stroke with the axe to cut down the tree, and the head slips from the handle, and lights on his neighbor, so that he dies; he shall flee to one of these cities and live: (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Deuteronomy 21:5 The priests the sons of Levi shall come near; for them Yahweh your God has chosen to minister to him, and to bless in the name of Yahweh; and according to their word shall every controversy and every stroke be. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Deuteronomy 28:61 also every sickness and every stroke which is not written in the book of this law; Jehovah doth cause them to go up upon thee till thou art destroyed, (YLT)
1 Samuel 26:8 Then said Abishai to David, "God has delivered up your enemy into your hand this day. Now therefore please let me strike him with the spear to the earth at one stroke, and I will not strike him the second time." (WEB JPS ASV NAS RSV)
2 Chronicles 21:14 behold, Jehovah will smite with a great stroke thy people, and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy substance, (DBY)
Esther 9:5 The Jews struck all their enemies with the stroke of the sword, and with slaughter and destruction, and did what they wanted to those who hated them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Job 5:20 In famine he will redeem you from death; in war, from the power of the sword. (See NIV)
Job 23:2 Even to day is my complaint bitter: my stroke is heavier than my groaning. (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Job 36:18 Because there is wrath, beware lest he take thee away with his stroke: then a great ransom cannot deliver thee. (KJV WBS YLT)
Psalms 38:11 My lovers and mine associates stand aloof from my stroke; and my kinsmen stand afar off. (DBY)
Psalms 39:10 Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thine hand. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Proverbs 6:33 A stroke and shame he doth find, And his reproach is not wiped away, (YLT)
Isaiah 14:6 who struck the peoples in wrath with a continual stroke, who ruled the nations in anger, with a persecution that none restrained. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS)
Isaiah 30:26 Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the LORD bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Isaiah 30:32 Every stroke of the rod of punishment, which Yahweh will lay on him, will be with the sound of tambourines and harps. He will fight with them in battles, brandishing weapons. (WEB ASV RSV NIV)
Isaiah 53:8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who among them considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living for the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was due ? (See JPS ASV NAS)
Jeremiah 10:19 Woe is me, for my wound! My stroke is hard to heal, and I had said, Yea, this is my grief, and I will bear it. (DBY)
Jeremiah 14:17 And thou hast said unto them this word: Tears come down mine eyes night and day, And they do not cease, For, 'with' a great breach, Broken hath been the virgin daughter of my people, A very grievous stroke. (YLT)
Jeremiah 30:12 For thus said Jehovah: Incurable is thy breach, grievous thy stroke, (YLT)
Jeremiah 30:14 All thy lovers have forgotten thee; they seek thee not. For I have smitten thee with the stroke of an enemy, with the chastisement of a cruel one, for the greatness of thine iniquity: thy sins are manifold. (DBY YLT)
Ezekiel 24:16 Son of man, behold, I will take away from you the desire of your eyes with a stroke: yet you shall neither mourn nor weep, neither shall your tears run down. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)