|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To follow in order; to come next after; hence, to take the place of; as, the king's eldest son succeeds his father on the throne; autumn succeeds summer.
2. (v. t.) To fall heir to; to inherit.
3. (v. t.) To come after; to be subsequent or consequent to; to follow; to pursue.
4. (v. t.) To support; to prosper; to promote.
5. (v. i.) To come in the place of another person, thing, or event; to come next in the usual, natural, or prescribed course of things; to follow; hence, to come next in the possession of anything; -- often with to.
6. (v. i.) Specifically: To ascend the throne after the removal the death of the occupant.
7. (v. i.) To descend, as an estate or an heirloom, in the same family; to devolve.
8. (v. i.) To obtain the object desired; to accomplish what is attempted or intended; to have a prosperous issue or termination; to be successful; as, he succeeded in his plans; his plans succeeded.
9. (v. i.) To go under cover.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
suk-sed', suk-ses' (yarash, sakhal; euemeria): "To succeed" means,
(1) and originally, "to follow after";
(2) mostly in modern English, "to prosper"; in the King James Version, with one exception, the word has a qualifying adjective.
(1) In the first sense it is the translation of yarash, "to seize" or "to take possession" (Deuteronomy 2:12; Deuteronomy 12:29, the American Standard Revised Version "dispossessest," the English Revised Version "possessest"); of qum, "to rise up" (Deuteronomy 25:6, "shall succeed in the name of his brother"); of diadechomai (Ecclesiasticus 48:8, "prophets to succeed after him").
(2) In the sense of prospering, "success" is the translation of sakhal, "to be wise," "to prosper" (Joshua 1:8, "Thou shalt have good success," the King James Version margin "do wisely," the Revised Version margin "deal wisely"; compare the King James Version margin Job 22:2 Psalm 111:10 Proverbs 3:4); "good success" occurs in Tobit 7:12, euodosei ta kallista; The Wisdom of Solomon 13:19, epituchia; Ecclesiasticus 20:9, euodia, the Revised Version (British and American) "prosperity," "There is a prosperity that a man findeth in misfortunes; and there is a gain that turneth to loss"; Ecclesiasticus 38:13, euodia (so Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Ephraemi-this word = "sweet savior," "fragrance"; compare Philippians 4:18 Ephesians 5:2 2 Corinthians 2:15). See further EUODIA. the Revised Version (British and American) "the issue for good" 1 Maccabees 4:55, euodoo; 8:23, kalos, etc. "Success," simply (as "prosperity," euemeria), 2 Maccabees 10:28, "a pledge of success and victory"; "successor" occurs (Ecclesiasticus 46:1, "Joshua.... was the successor diadochos of Moses"; 2 Maccabees 9:23; 14:26).
W. L. Walker
Succeed (47 Occurrences)
Luke 13:24 "Strain every nerve to force your way in through the narrow gate," He answered; "for multitudes, I tell you, will endeavour to find a way in and will not succeed. (WEY)
Romans 1:10 requesting, if by any means now at last I may be prospered by the will of God to come to you. (See NAS RSV)
Romans 9:31 but Israel, following after a law of righteousness, didn't arrive at the law of righteousness. (See RSV)
Romans 11:14 trying whether I can succeed in rousing my own countrymen to jealousy and thus save some of them. (WEY)
Leviticus 6:22 The anointed priest that will be in his place from among his sons shall offer it. By a statute forever, it shall be wholly burnt to Yahweh. (See RSV NIV)
Leviticus 16:32 The priest, who is anointed and who is consecrated to be priest in his father's place, shall make the atonement, and shall put on the linen garments, even the holy garments. (See NIV)
Numbers 14:41 Moses said, "Why now do you disobey the commandment of Yahweh, seeing it shall not prosper? (See NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 19:1 When Yahweh your God shall cut off the nations, whose land Yahweh your God gives you, and you succeed them, and dwell in their cities, and in their houses; (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT)
Deuteronomy 25:6 It shall be, that the firstborn whom she bears shall succeed in the name of his brother who is dead, that his name not be blotted out of Israel. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS RSV)
Judges 18:5 And they said to him, "Inquire of God, we pray thee, that we may know whether the journey on which we are setting out will succeed." (DBY RSV)
1 Samuel 26:25 Then Saul said to David, "You are blessed, my son David. You shall both do mightily, and shall surely prevail." So David went his way, and Saul returned to his place. (See RSV)
1 Samuel 30:8 David inquired of Yahweh, saying, "If I pursue after this troop, shall I overtake them?" He answered him, "Pursue; for you shall surely overtake them, and shall without fail recover all." (See NIV)
2 Samuel 7:12 When your days are fulfilled, and you shall sleep with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who shall proceed out of your bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. (See NIV)
1 Kings 2:3 and keep the instruction of Yahweh your God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, his commandments, his ordinances, and his testimonies, according to that which is written in the law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do, and wherever you turn yourself. (See NAS)
1 Kings 5:1 Hiram king of Tyre sent his servants to Solomon; for he had heard that they had anointed him king in the room of his father: for Hiram was ever a lover of David. (See NIV)
1 Kings 15:4 Nevertheless for David's sake did Yahweh his God give him a lamp in Jerusalem, to set up his son after him, and to establish Jerusalem; (See NIV)
1 Kings 19:16 You shall anoint Jehu the son of Nimshi to be king over Israel; and you shall anoint Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abel Meholah to be prophet in your place. (See NIV)
1 Kings 22:15 When he had come to the king, the king said to him, "Micaiah, shall we go to Ramoth Gilead to battle, or shall we forbear?" He answered him, "Go up and prosper; and Yahweh will deliver it into the hand of the king." (See NAS)
1 Kings 22:22 And Jehovah said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt entice him, and also succeed: go forth, and do so. (DBY RSV NIV)
2 Kings 3:27 Then he took his eldest son who would have reigned in his place, and offered him for a burnt offering on the wall. There was great wrath against Israel: and they departed from him, and returned to their own land. (See NIV)
1 Chronicles 17:11 It shall happen, when your days are fulfilled that you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up your seed after you, who shall be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom. (See NIV)
1 Chronicles 22:11 Now, my son, Yahweh be with you; and prosper you, and build the house of Yahweh your God, as he has spoken concerning you. (See RSV)
2 Chronicles 13:12 Behold, God is with us at our head, and his priests with the trumpets of alarm to sound an alarm against you. Children of Israel, don't you fight against Yahweh, the God of your fathers; for you shall not prosper. (See NAS RSV NIV)
2 Chronicles 18:11 All the prophets prophesied so, saying, Go up to Ramoth Gilead, and prosper; for Yahweh will deliver it into the hand of the king. (See NAS)
2 Chronicles 18:14 When he was come to the king, the king said to him, Micaiah, shall we go to Ramoth Gilead to battle, or shall I forbear? He said, Go up, and prosper; and they shall be delivered into your hand. (See NAS)
2 Chronicles 18:21 And he said, I will go forth, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt entice him, and also succeed: go forth, and do so. (DBY RSV NIV)
2 Chronicles 20:20 They rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, Judah, and you inhabitants of Jerusalem: believe in Yahweh your God, so you shall be established; believe his prophets, so you shall prosper. (See NAS RSV)
Job 30:13 They mar my path, They set forward my calamity, without anyone's help. (See NIV)
Psalms 10:5 His ways always succeed; thy judgments are far above out of his sight; as for all his adversaries, he puffeth at them. (DBY)
Psalms 20:4 May He grant you your heart's desire, and fulfill all your counsel. (See NIV)
Psalms 21:11 For they intended evil against you. They plotted evil against you which cannot succeed. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 37:7 Rest in Yahweh, and wait patiently for him. Don't fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who makes wicked plots happen. (See NIV)
Psalms 140:8 Yahweh, don't grant the desires of the wicked. Don't let their evil plans succeed, or they will become proud. Selah. (WEB NIV)
Proverbs 15:22 Where there are no wise suggestions, purposes come to nothing; but by a number of wise guides they are made certain. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Proverbs 16:3 Commit your deeds to Yahweh, and your plans shall succeed. (WEB NIV)
Proverbs 21:30 Wisdom and knowledge and wise suggestions are of no use against the Lord. (See NIV)
Ecclesiastes 10:10 If the iron has no edge, and he does not make it sharp, then he has to put out more strength; but wisdom makes things go well. (See RSV)
Ecclesiastes 11:6 In the morning put your seed into the earth, and till the evening let not your hand be at rest; because you are not certain which will do well, this or that--or if the two will be equally good. (See NAS NIV)
Isaiah 47:12 Go on now with your secret arts, and all your wonder-working, to which you have given yourself up from your earliest days; it may be that they will be of profit to you, or by them you may put fear into your attackers. (See RSV NIV)
Isaiah 48:15 I, even I, have given the word; I have sent for him: I have made him come, and have given effect to his undertakings. (See NIV)
Jeremiah 20:11 But Yahweh is with me as an awesome mighty one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail; they shall be utterly disappointed, because they have not dealt wisely, even with an everlasting dishonor which shall never be forgotten. (See RSV)
Jeremiah 22:30 Thus says Yahweh, Write you this man childless, a man who shall not prosper in his days; for no more shall a man of his seed prosper, sitting on the throne of David, and ruling in Judah. (See RSV)
Jeremiah 32:5 and he shall bring Zedekiah to Babylon, and there shall he be until I visit him, says Yahweh: though you fight with the Chaldeans, you shall not prosper? (See NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 17:15 But he rebelled against him in sending his ambassadors into Egypt, that they might give him horses and much people. Shall he prosper? shall he escape that doeth such things? shall he break the covenant, and yet escape? (See NAS RSV NIV)
Daniel 8:24 His power shall be mighty, but not by his own power; and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper and do his pleasure; and he shall destroy the mighty ones and the holy people. (See RSV NIV)
Daniel 11:17 He shall set his face to come with the strength of his whole kingdom, and with him equitable conditions; and he shall perform them: and he shall give him the daughter of women, to corrupt her; but she shall not stand, neither be for him. (See NIV)
Daniel 11:27 As for both these kings, their hearts shall be to do mischief, and they shall speak lies at one table: but it shall not prosper; for yet the end shall be at the time appointed. (See NAS)