|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) Act of succeeding; succession.
2. (n.) That which comes after; hence, consequence, issue, or result, of an endeavor or undertaking, whether good or bad; the outcome of effort.
3. (n.) The favorable or prosperous termination of anything attempted; the attainment of a proposed object; prosperous issue.
4. (n.) That which meets with, or one who accomplishes, favorable results, as a play or a player.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
suk-sed', suk-ses' (yarash, sakhal; euemeria): "To succeed" means,
(1) and originally, "to follow after";
(2) mostly in modern English, "to prosper"; in the King James Version, with one exception, the word has a qualifying adjective.
(1) In the first sense it is the translation of yarash, "to seize" or "to take possession" (Deuteronomy 2:12; Deuteronomy 12:29, the American Standard Revised Version "dispossessest," the English Revised Version "possessest"); of qum, "to rise up" (Deuteronomy 25:6, "shall succeed in the name of his brother"); of diadechomai (Ecclesiasticus 48:8, "prophets to succeed after him").
(2) In the sense of prospering, "success" is the translation of sakhal, "to be wise," "to prosper" (Joshua 1:8, "Thou shalt have good success," the King James Version margin "do wisely," the Revised Version margin "deal wisely"; compare the King James Version margin Job 22:2 Psalm 111:10 Proverbs 3:4); "good success" occurs in Tobit 7:12, euodosei ta kallista; The Wisdom of Solomon 13:19, epituchia; Ecclesiasticus 20:9, euodia, the Revised Version (British and American) "prosperity," "There is a prosperity that a man findeth in misfortunes; and there is a gain that turneth to loss"; Ecclesiasticus 38:13, euodia (so Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Ephraemi-this word = "sweet savior," "fragrance"; compare Philippians 4:18 Ephesians 5:2 2 Corinthians 2:15). See further EUODIA. the Revised Version (British and American) "the issue for good" 1 Maccabees 4:55, euodoo; 8:23, kalos, etc. "Success," simply (as "prosperity," euemeria), 2 Maccabees 10:28, "a pledge of success and victory"; "successor" occurs (Ecclesiasticus 46:1, "Joshua.... was the successor diadochos of Moses"; 2 Maccabees 9:23; 14:26).
W. L. Walker
Success (29 Occurrences)
Luke 19:15 And upon his return, after he had obtained the sovereignty, he ordered those servants to whom he had given the money to be summoned before him, that he might learn their success in trading. (WEY)
2 Timothy 3:9 But they will have no further success; for their folly will be as clearly manifest to all men, as that of the opponents of Moses came to be. (WEY)
Genesis 24:12 He said, "Yahweh, the God of my master Abraham, please give me success this day, and show kindness to my master Abraham. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Genesis 24:40 He said to me,'Yahweh, before whom I walk, will send his angel with you, and prosper your way. You shall take a wife for my son of my relatives, and of my father's house. (See NAS NIV)
Genesis 24:42 I came this day to the spring, and said,'Yahweh, the God of my master Abraham, if now you do prosper my way which I go- (See NAS NIV)
Genesis 24:56 He said to them, "Don't hinder me, seeing Yahweh has prospered my way. Send me away that I may go to my master." (See NIV)
Genesis 27:20 Isaac said to his son, "How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?" He said, "Because Yahweh your God gave me success." (WEB RSV NIV)
Genesis 39:3 His master saw that Yahweh was with him, and that Yahweh made all that he did prosper in his hand. (See NIV)
Genesis 39:23 The keeper of the prison didn't look after anything that was under his hand, because Yahweh was with him; and that which he did, Yahweh made it prosper. (See NIV)
Joshua 1:7 Only be strong and very courageous, to observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded you. Don't turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. (WEB JPS ASV NAS RSV NIV)
Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 18:5 And David went out whithersoever Saul sent him, and behaved himself wisely: and Saul set him over the men of war, and it was good in the sight of all the people, and also in the sight of Saul's servants. (See JPS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 18:14 And David behaved himself wisely in all his ways; and Jehovah was with him. (See JPS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 18:15 And when Saul saw that he behaved himself very wisely, he stood in awe of him. (See JPS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 18:30 It happened, when they brought those kings out to Joshua, that Joshua called for all the men of Israel, and said to the chiefs of the men of war who went with him, "Come near, put your feet on the necks of these kings." They came near, and put their feet on their necks. (See RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 25:31 that this shall be no grief to you, nor offense of heart to my lord, either that you have shed blood without cause, or that my lord has avenged himself. When Yahweh has dealt well with my lord, then remember your handmaid." (See NIV)
1 Kings 22:13 The messenger who went to call Micaiah spoke to him, saying, "See now, the the prophets declare good to the king with one mouth. Please let your word be like the word of one of them, and speak good." (See NIV)
1 Chronicles 12:18 Then the Spirit came on Amasai, who was chief of the thirty, and he said, "We are yours, David, and on your side, you son of Jesse: peace, peace be to you, and peace be to your helpers; for your God helps you." Then David received them, and made them captains of the band. (See NIV)
2 Chronicles 18:12 The messenger who went to call Micaiah spoke to him, saying, Behold, the words of the prophets declare good to the king with one mouth: let your word therefore, please be like one of theirs, and speak good. (See NIV)
2 Chronicles 26:5 He set himself to seek God in the days of Zechariah, who had understanding in the vision of God: and as long as he sought Yahweh, God made him to prosper. (See NIV)
Nehemiah 1:11 Lord, I beg you, let your ear be attentive now to the prayer of your servant, and to the prayer of your servants, who delight to fear your name; and please prosper your servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. Now I was cup bearer to the king. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Nehemiah 2:20 Then answered I them, and said to them, The God of heaven, he will prosper us; therefore we his servants will arise and build: but you have no portion, nor right, nor memorial, in Jerusalem. (See NAS NIV)
Job 5:12 He frustrates the devices of the crafty, So that their hands can't perform their enterprise. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Job 6:13 Isn't it that I have no help in me, That wisdom is driven quite from me? (See NIV)
Psalms 118:25 Save us now, we beg you, Yahweh! Yahweh, we beg you, send prosperity now. (See RSV NIV)
Ecclesiastes 4:4 And I saw all labour, and all success of work, that it is man's jealousy of his neighbour. This also is vanity and pursuit of the wind. (DBY)
Ecclesiastes 10:10 If the axe is blunt, and one doesn't sharpen the edge, then he must use more strength; but skill brings success. (WEB DBY NAS NIV)
Daniel 6:28 So this Daniel prospered in the reign of Darius, and in the reign of Cyrus the Persian. (See NAS)
Daniel 11:14 In those times there shall many stand up against the king of the south: also the children of the violent among your people shall lift themselves up to establish the vision; but they shall fall. (See NIV)