|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To draw, as a liquid, by the action of the mouth and tongue, which tends to produce a vacuum, and causes the liquid to rush in by atmospheric pressure; to draw, or apply force to, by exhausting the air.
2. (v. t.) To draw liquid from by the action of the mouth; as, to suck an orange; specifically, to draw milk from (the mother, the breast, etc.) with the mouth; as, the young of an animal sucks the mother, or dam; an infant sucks the breast.
3. (v. t.) To draw in, or imbibe, by any process resembles sucking; to inhale; to absorb; as, to suck in air; the roots of plants suck water from the ground.
4. (v. t.) To draw or drain.
5. (v. t.) To draw in, as a whirlpool; to swallow up.
6. (v. i.) To draw, or attempt to draw, something by suction, as with the mouth, or through a tube.
7. (v. i.) To draw milk from the breast or udder; as, a child, or the young of an animal, is first nourished by sucking.
8. (v. i.) To draw in; to imbibe; to partake.
9. (n.) The act of drawing with the mouth.
10. (n.) That which is drawn into the mouth by sucking; specifically, milk drawn from the breast.
11. (n.) A small draught.
12. (n.) Juice; succulence.
Suck (22 Occurrences)
Matthew 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! (KJV ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Mark 13:17 But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! (KJV ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Luke 11:27 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. (Root in KJV WEY ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Luke 21:23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people. (KJV ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Luke 23:29 For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck. (KJV ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Genesis 21:7 And she said, Who would have said unto Abraham, that Sarah should have given children suck? for I have born him a son in his old age. (KJV JPS ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Genesis 33:13 And he said unto him, My lord knoweth that the children are tender, and that the flocks and herds with me have their young: and if they overdrive them one day, all the flocks will die. (See JPS DBY YLT RSV)
Deuteronomy 32:13 He made him ride on the high places of the earth. He ate the increase of the field. He caused him to suck honey out of the rock, oil out of the flinty rock; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Deuteronomy 33:19 They shall call the people unto the mountain; there they shall offer sacrifices of righteousness: for they shall suck of the abundance of the seas, and of treasures hid in the sand. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
1 Samuel 1:23 And Elkanah her husband said unto her, Do what seemeth thee good; tarry until thou have weaned him; only the LORD establish his word. So the woman abode, and gave her son suck until she weaned him. (KJV JPS ASV DBY YLT)
1 Kings 3:21 And when I rose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead: but when I had considered it in the morning, behold, it was not my son, which I did bear. (KJV JPS ASV DBY YLT)
Job 3:12 Why did the knees receive me? Or why the breast, that I should suck? (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY YLT NAS RSV)
Job 20:16 He shall suck cobra venom. The viper's tongue shall kill him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 39:30 His young ones also suck up blood. Where the slain are, there he is." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV)
Psalms 78:71 From following the ewes that have their young he brought him, To be the shepherd of Jacob his people, and Israel his inheritance. (See JPS DBY YLT NAS)
Isaiah 40:11 He will feed his flock like a shepherd, he will gather the lambs in his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and will gently lead those that have their young. (See JPS DBY YLT)
Isaiah 60:16 You shall also suck the milk of the nations, and shall nurse from royal breasts; and you shall know that I, Yahweh, am your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Isaiah 66:11 That ye may suck, and be satisfied with the breasts of her consolations; that ye may milk out, and be delighted with the abundance of her glory. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Isaiah 66:12 For thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream: then shall ye suck, ye shall be borne upon her sides, and be dandled upon her knees. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Lamentations 4:3 Even the sea monsters draw out the breast, they give suck to their young ones: the daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness. (KJV JPS ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Ezekiel 23:34 Thou shalt even drink it and suck it out, and thou shalt break the sherds thereof, and pluck off thine own breasts: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD. (KJV DBY)
Joel 2:16 Gather the people. Sanctify the assembly. Assemble the elders. Gather the children, and those who suck the breasts. Let the bridegroom go forth from his room, and the bride out of her chamber. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)