|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The act of following or pursuing, as game; pursuit.
2. (n.) The act of suing; the process by which one endeavors to gain an end or an object; an attempt to attain a certain result; pursuit; endeavor.
3. (n.) The act of wooing in love; the solicitation of a woman in marriage; courtship.
4. (n.) The attempt to gain an end by legal process; an action or process for the recovery of a right or claim; legal application to a court for justice; prosecution of right before any tribunal; as, a civil suit; a criminal suit; a suit in chancery.
5. (n.) That which follows as a retinue; a company of attendants or followers; the assembly of persons who attend upon a prince, magistrate, or other person of distinction; -- often written suite, and pronounced swat.
6. (n.) Things that follow in a series or succession; the individual objects, collectively considered, which constitute a series, as of rooms, buildings, compositions, etc.; -- often written suite, and pronounced swat.
7. (n.) A number of things used together, and generally necessary to be united in order to answer their purpose; a number of things ordinarily classed or used together; a set; as, a suit of curtains; a suit of armor; a suit of clothes.
8. (n.) One of the four sets of cards which constitute a pack; -- each set consisting of thirteen cards bearing a particular emblem, as hearts, spades, cubs, or diamonds.
9. (n.) Regular order; succession.
10. (v. t.) To fit; to adapt; to make proper or suitable; as, to suit the action to the word.
11. (v. t.) To be fitted to; to accord with; to become; to befit.
12. (v. t.) To dress; to clothe.
13. (v. t.) To please; to make content; as, he is well suited with his place; to suit one's taste.
14. (v. i.) To agree; to accord; to be fitted; to correspond; -- usually followed by with or to.
Suit (15 Occurrences)
Luke 5:36 And he spoke also a parable to them: No one puts a piece of a new garment upon an old garment, otherwise he will both rend the new, and the piece which is from the new will not suit with the old. (DBY)
Acts 25:24 Then Festus said, "King Agrippa and all who are present with us, you see here the man about whom the whole nation of the Jews made suit to me, both in Jerusalem and here, crying out that he ought not to live any longer. (WEY ASV)
1 Corinthians 6:1 Dare any one of you, having a matter against another, prosecute his suit before the unjust, and not before the saints? (DBY)
1 Corinthians 6:6 But brother prosecutes his suit with brother, and that before unbelievers. (DBY)
2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not listen to the sound doctrine, but, having itching ears, will heap up for themselves teachers after their own lusts; (See RSV NIV)
Exodus 23:2 "You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; neither shall you testify in court to side with a multitude to pervert justice; (See RSV NIV)
Exodus 23:3 neither shall you favor a poor man in his cause. (See RSV NIV)
Exodus 23:6 "You shall not deny justice to your poor people in their lawsuits. (Root in WEB RSV NIV)
Judges 17:10 Micah said to him, "Dwell with me, and be to me a father and a priest, and I will give you ten pieces of silver per year, a suit of clothing, and your food." So the Levite went in. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
2 Samuel 15:2 Absalom rose up early, and stood beside the way of the gate. It was so, that when any man had a suit which should come to the king for judgment, then Absalom called to him, and said, "What city are you from?" He said, "Your servant is of one of the tribes of Israel." (WEB JPS ASV NAS RSV)
2 Samuel 15:4 Absalom said moreover, "Oh that I were made judge in the land, that every man who has any suit or cause might come to me, and I would do him justice!" (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS NAS RSV)
Job 11:19 Also thou shalt lie down, and none shall make thee afraid; yea, many shall make suit unto thee. (KJV JPS ASV WBS)
Job 21:33 The clods of the valley are sweet unto him; and every man followeth suit after him, as there were innumerable before him. (DBY)
Job 34:33 Shall his recompense be as you desire, that you refuse it? For you must choose, and not I. Therefore speak what you know. (See RSV)
Psalms 16:4 Their sorrows shall be multiplied that give gifts for another god : Their drink-offerings of blood will I not offer, Nor take their names upon my lips. (See JPS)