|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. i.) To move or wield with the hand; to swing; to wield; as, to sway the scepter.
2. (v. i.) To influence or direct by power and authority; by persuasion, or by moral force; to rule; to govern; to guide.
3. (v. i.) To cause to incline or swing to one side, or backward and forward; to bias; to turn; to bend; warp; as, reeds swayed by wind; judgment swayed by passion.
4. (v. i.) To hoist; as, to sway up the yards.
5. (v. i.) To be drawn to one side by weight or influence; to lean; to incline.
6. (v. i.) To move or swing from side to side; or backward and forward.
7. (v. i.) To have weight or influence.
8. (v. i.) To bear sway; to rule; to govern.
9. (n.) The act of swaying; a swaying motion; the swing or sweep of a weapon.
10. (n.) Influence, weight, or authority that inclines to one side; as, the sway of desires.
11. (n.) Preponderance; turn or cast of balance.
12. (n.) Rule; dominion; control.
13. (n.) A switch or rod used by thatchers to bind their work.
Sway (7 Occurrences)
Romans 5:21 in order that as sin has exercised kingly sway in inflicting death, so grace, too, may exercise kingly sway in bestowing a righteousness which results in the Life of the Ages through Jesus Christ our Lord. (WEY)
Romans 8:13 For if you so live, death is near; but if, through being under the sway of the spirit, you are putting your old bodily habits to death, you will live. (WEY)
Judges 9:9 But the olive-tree said unto them, Should I leave my fatness, wherewith by me they honor God and man, and go to wave to and fro over the trees? (See JPS DBY RSV NIV)
Judges 9:11 But the fig-tree said unto them, Should I leave my sweetness, and my good fruit, and go to wave to and fro over the trees? (See JPS DBY RSV NIV)
Judges 9:13 And the vine said unto them, Should I leave my new wine, which cheereth God and man, and go to wave to and fro over the trees? (See JPS DBY RSV NIV)
Psalms 72:16 There shall be abundance of grain throughout the land. Its fruit sways like Lebanon. Let it flourish, thriving like the grass of the field. (Root in WEB NIV)
Isaiah 24:20 The earth will stagger like a drunken man, and will sway back and forth like a hammock. Its disobedience will be heavy on it, and it will fall and not rise again. (WEB JPS ASV RSV NIV)