|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. i.) To be supported by water or other fluid; not to sink; to float; as, any substance will swim, whose specific gravity is less than that of the fluid in which it is immersed.
2. (v. i.) To move progressively in water by means of strokes with the hands and feet, or the fins or the tail.
3. (v. i.) To be overflowed or drenched.
4. (v. i.) Fig.: To be as if borne or floating in a fluid.
5. (v. i.) To be filled with swimming animals.
6. (v. t.) To pass or move over or on by swimming; as, to swim a stream.
7. (v. t.) To cause or compel to swim; to make to float; as, to swim a horse across a river.
8. (v. t.) To immerse in water that the lighter parts may float; as, to swim wheat in order to select seed.
9. (n.) The act of swimming; a gliding motion, like that of one swimming.
10. (n.) The sound, or air bladder, of a fish.
11. (n.) A part of a stream much frequented by fish.
12. (v. i.) To be dizzy; to have an unsteady or reeling sensation; as, the head swims.
Swim (8 Occurrences)
Acts 27:42 The soldiers' counsel was to kill the prisoners, so that none of them would swim out and escape. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 27:43 But the centurion, desiring to save Paul, stopped them from their purpose, and commanded that those who could swim should throw themselves overboard first to go toward the land; (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Kings 6:6 And the man of God said, Where fell it? And he showed him the place. And he cut down a stick, and cast it in thither; and the iron did swim. (KJV JPS ASV DBY YLT)
Psalms 6:6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS)
Psalms 8:8 The birds of the sky, the fish of the sea, and whatever passes through the paths of the seas. (See NIV)
Isaiah 25:11 He will spread out his hands in its midst, like one who swims spreads out hands to swim, but his pride will be humbled together with the craft of his hands. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 32:6 I will also water with your blood the land in which you swim, even to the mountains; and the watercourses shall be full of you. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Ezekiel 47:5 Afterward he measured one thousand; and it was a river that I could not pass through; for the waters were risen, waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed through. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)