|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) A visible sign or representation of an idea; anything which suggests an idea or quality, or another thing, as by resemblance or by convention; an emblem; a representation; a type; a figure; as, the lion is the symbol of courage; the lamb is the symbol of meekness or patience.
2. (n.) Any character used to represent a quantity, an operation, a relation, or an abbreviation.
3. (n.) An abstract or compendium of faith or doctrine; a creed, or a summary of the articles of religion.
4. (n.) That which is thrown into a common fund; hence, an appointed or accustomed duty.
5. (n.) Share; allotment.
6. (n.) An abbreviation standing for the name of an element and consisting of the initial letter of the Latin or New Latin name, or sometimes of the initial letter with a following one; as, C for carbon, Na for sodium (Natrium), Fe for iron (Ferrum), Sn for tin (Stannum), Sb for antimony (Stibium), etc. See the list of names and symbols under Element.
7. (v. t.) To symbolize.
Symbol (8 Occurrences)
1 Corinthians 11:10 That is why a woman ought to have on her head a symbol of subjection, because of the angels. (WEY NAS)
Hebrews 9:9 which is a symbol of the present age, where gifts and sacrifices are offered that are incapable, concerning the conscience, of making the worshipper perfect; (WEB NAS RSV)
1 Peter 3:21 This is a symbol of baptism, which now saves you-not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, (WEB NIV)
Revelation 17:5 And on her forehead was a name written: "I am a symbol of great Babylon, the mother of the harlots and of the abominations of the earth." (WEY)
Exodus 13:16 It shall be for a sign on your hand, and for symbols between your eyes: for by strength of hand Yahweh brought us forth out of Egypt." (Root in WEB NIV)
Numbers 6:7 He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die; because his separation to God is on his head. (See NIV)
Isaiah 57:8 And behind the doors and the posts hast thou set up thy memorial: for thou hast uncovered thyself to another than me, and art gone up; thou hast enlarged thy bed, and made thee a covenant with them: thou lovedst their bed where thou sawest it. (See JPS RSV NIV)
Zechariah 3:8 Hear now, Joshua the high priest, you and your fellows who sit before you; for they are men who are a sign: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant, the Branch. (See NAS NIV)