|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) Feeling corresponding to that which another feels; the quality of being affected by the affection of another, with feelings correspondent in kind, if not in degree; fellow-feeling.
2. (n.) An agreement of affections or inclinations, or a conformity of natural temperament, which causes persons to be pleased, or in accord, with one another; as, there is perfect sympathy between them.
3. (n.) Kindness of feeling toward one who suffers; pity; commiseration; compassion.
4. (n.) The reciprocal influence exercised by the various organs or parts of the body on one another, as manifested in the transmission of a disease by unknown means from one organ to another quite remote, or in the influence exerted by a diseased condition of one part on another part or organ, as in the vomiting produced by a tumor of the brain.
5. (n.) That relation which exists between different persons by which one of them produces in the others a state or condition like that of himself. This is shown in the tendency to yawn which a person often feels on seeing another yawn, or the strong inclination to become hysteric experienced by many women on seeing another person suffering with hysteria.
6. (n.) A tendency of inanimate things to unite, or to act on each other; as, the sympathy between the loadstone and iron.
7. (n.) Similarity of function, use office, or the like.
Sympathy (15 Occurrences)
John 11:19 and a considerable number of the Jews were with Martha and Mary, having come to express sympathy with them on the death of their brother. (WEY)
Romans 7:22 For in my inmost self all my sympathy is with the Law of God; (WEY)
Romans 12:16 Have full sympathy with one another. Do not give your mind to high things, but let humble ways content you. Do not be wise in your own conceits. (WEY)
Romans 15:5 And may God, the giver of power of endurance and of that encouragement, grant you to be in full sympathy with one another in accordance with the example of Christ Jesus, (WEY)
Philippians 2:1 If there is therefore any exhortation in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any tender mercies and compassion, (See RSV)
Hebrews 10:34 For you not only showed sympathy with those who were imprisoned, but you even submitted with joy when your property was taken from you, being well aware that you have in your own selves a more valuable possession and one which will remain. (WEY NAS)
1 Peter 3:8 In conclusion, all of you should be of one mind, quick to sympathize, kind to the brethren, tenderhearted, lowly-minded, (See RSV)
2 Samuel 10:2 David said, "I will show kindness to Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father showed kindness to me." So David sent by his servants to comfort him concerning his father. David's servants came into the land of the children of Ammon. (See NIV)
2 Samuel 10:3 But the princes of the children of Ammon said to Hanun their lord, "Do you think that David honors your father, in that he has sent comforters to you? Hasn't David sent his servants to you to search the city, and to spy it out, and to overthrow it?" (See NIV)
1 Chronicles 19:2 David said, "I will show kindness to Hanun the son of Nahash, because his father showed kindness to me." So David sent messengers to comfort him concerning his father. David's servants came into the land of the children of Ammon to Hanun, to comfort him. (See NIV)
1 Chronicles 19:3 But the princes of the children of Ammon said to Hanun, "Do you think that David honors your father, in that he has sent comforters to you? Haven't his servants come to you to search, to overthrow, and to spy out the land?" (See NIV)
Job 42:11 Then came there to him all his brothers, and all his sisters, and all those who had been of his acquaintance before, and ate bread with him in his house. They comforted him, and consoled him concerning all the evil that Yahweh had brought on him. Everyone also gave him a piece of money, and everyone a ring of gold. (See RSV)
Psalms 69:20 Reproach hath broken my heart, and I am overwhelmed: and I looked for sympathy, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. (DBY NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 16:5 For thus says Yahweh, Don't enter into the house of mourning, neither go to lament, neither bemoan them; for I have taken away my peace from this people, says Yahweh, even loving kindness and tender mercies. (See NIV)
Daniel 1:9 Now God made Daniel to find kindness and compassion in the sight of the prince of the eunuchs. (See NIV)