|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To cause to move upon a center, or as if upon a center; to give circular motion to; to cause to revolve; to cause to move round, either partially, wholly, or repeatedly; to make to change position so as to present other sides in given directions; to make to face otherwise; as, to turn a wheel or a spindle; to turn the body or the head.
2. (v. t.) To cause to present a different side uppermost or outmost; to make the upper side the lower, or the inside to be the outside of; to reverse the position of; as, to turn a box or a board; to turn a coat.
3. (v. t.) To give another direction, tendency, or inclination to; to direct otherwise; to deflect; to incline differently; -- used both literally and figuratively; as, to turn the eyes to the heavens; to turn a horse from the road, or a ship from her course; to turn the attention to or from something.
4. (v. t.) To change from a given use or office; to divert, as to another purpose or end; to transfer; to use or employ; to apply; to devote.
5. (v. t.) To change the form, quality, aspect, or effect of; to alter; to metamorphose; to convert; to transform; -- often with to or into before the word denoting the effect or product of the change; as, to turn a worm into a winged insect; to turn green to blue; to turn prose into verse; to turn a Whig to a Tory, or a Hindu to a Christian; to turn good to evil, and the like.
6. (v. t.) To form in a lathe; to shape or fashion (anything) by applying a cutting tool to it while revolving; as, to turn the legs of stools or tables; to turn ivory or metal.
7. (v. t.) Hence, to give form to; to shape; to mold; to put in proper condition; to adapt.
8. (v. t.) To translate; to construe; as, to turn the Iliad.
9. (v. t.) To make acid or sour; to ferment; to curdle, etc.: as, to turn cider or wine; electricity turns milk quickly.
10. (v. t.) To sicken; to nauseate; as, an emetic turns one's stomach.
11. (v. i.) To move round; to have a circular motion; to revolve entirely, repeatedly, or partially; to change position, so as to face differently; to whirl or wheel round; as, a wheel turns on its axis; a spindle turns on a pivot; a man turns on his heel.
12. (v. i.) Hence, to revolve as if upon a point of support; to hinge; to depend; as, the decision turns on a single fact.
13. (v. i.) To result or terminate; to come about; to eventuate; to issue.
14. (v. i.) To be deflected; to take a different direction or tendency; to be directed otherwise; to be differently applied; to be transferred; as, to turn from the road.
15. (v. i.) To be changed, altered, or transformed; to become transmuted; also, to become by a change or changes; to grow; as, wood turns to stone; water turns to ice; one color turns to another; to turn Mohammedan.
16. (v. i.) To undergo the process of turning on a lathe; as, ivory turns well.
17. (v. i.) To become acid; to sour; -- said of milk, ale, etc.
18. (v. i.) To become giddy; -- said of the head or brain.
19. (v. i.) To be nauseated; -- said of the stomach.
20. (v. i.) To become inclined in the other direction; -- said of scales.
21. (v. i.) To change from ebb to flow, or from flow to ebb; -- said of the tide.
22. (v. i.) To bring down the feet of a child in the womb, in order to facilitate delivery.
23. (v. i.) To invert a type of the same thickness, as temporary substitute for any sort which is exhausted.
24. (n.) The act of turning; movement or motion about, or as if about, a center or axis; revolution; as, the turn of a wheel.
25. (n.) Change of direction, course, or tendency; different order, position, or aspect of affairs; alteration; vicissitude; as, the turn of the tide.
26. (n.) One of the successive portions of a course, or of a series of occurrences, reckoning from change to change; hence, a winding; a bend; a meander.
27. (n.) A circuitous walk, or a walk to and fro, ending where it began; a short walk; a stroll.
28. (n.) Successive course; opportunity enjoyed by alternation with another or with others, or in due order; due chance; alternate or incidental occasion; appropriate time.
29. (n.) Incidental or opportune deed or office; occasional act of kindness or malice; as, to do one an ill turn.
30. (n.) Convenience; occasion; purpose; exigency; as, this will not serve his turn.
31. (n.) Form; cast; shape; manner; fashion; -- used in a literal or figurative sense; hence, form of expression; mode of signifying; as, the turn of thought; a man of a sprightly turn in conversation.
32. (n.) A change of condition; especially, a sudden or recurring symptom of illness, as a nervous shock, or fainting spell; as, a bad turn.
33. (n.) A fall off the ladder at the gallows; a hanging; -- so called from the practice of causing the criminal to stand on a ladder which was turned over, so throwing him off, when the signal was given.
34. (n.) A round of a rope or cord in order to secure it, as about a pin or a cleat.
35. (n.) A pit sunk in some part of a drift.
36. (n.) A court of record, held by the sheriff twice a year in every hundred within his county.
37. (n.) Monthly courses; menses.
38. (n.) An embellishment or grace (marked thus, /), commonly consisting of the principal note, or that on which the turn is made, with the note above, and the semitone below, the note above being sounded first, the principal note next, and the semitone below last, the three being performed quickly, as a triplet preceding the marked note. The turn may be inverted so as to begin with the lower note, in which case the sign is either placed on end thus /, or drawn thus /.
Turn (963 Occurrences)
Matthew 2:12 Being warned in a dream that they shouldn't return to Herod, they went back to their own country another way. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 4:3 So the Tempter came and said, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to turn into loaves." (WEY)
Matthew 5:39 But I tell you, don't resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 5:42 Give to him who asks you, and don't turn away him who desires to borrow from you. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Matthew 7:6 "Don't give that which is holy to the dogs, neither throw your pearls before the pigs, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 10:13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come on it, but if it isn't worthy, let your peace return to you. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Matthew 12:44 Then he says,'I will return into my house from which I came out,' and when he has come back, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 13:15 for this people's heart has grown callous, their ears are dull of hearing, they have closed their eyes; or else perhaps they might perceive with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their heart, and should turn again; and I would heal them.' (WEB WEY ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 15:36 and he took the seven loaves and the fish. He gave thanks and broke them, and gave to the disciples, and the disciples to the multitudes. (See NIV)
Matthew 18:3 and said, "Most certainly I tell you, unless you turn, and become as little children, you will in no way enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. (WEB WEY ASV YLT RSV)
Matthew 21:24 "And I also have a question to ask *you*," replied Jesus, "and if you answer me, I in turn will tell you by what authority I do these things. (WEY)
Matthew 24:18 Let him who is in the field not return back to get his clothes. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Matthew 26:52 Then saith Jesus to him, Return thy sword to its place; for all who take the sword shall perish by the sword. (Root in DBY YLT)
Mark 4:12 that'seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest perhaps they should turn again, and their sins should be forgiven them.'" (WEB WEY ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Mark 13:16 Let him who is in the field not return back to take his cloak. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 1:8 Now it came about that in his turn he was acting as priest before God, (BBE)
Luke 1:16 He will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord, their God. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 1:17 He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah,'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 1:66 All who heard them laid them up in their heart, saying, "What then will this child be?" The hand of the Lord was with him. (See NAS)
Luke 5:22 Well aware of their reasonings, Jesus answered their questions by asking in turn, "What is this that you are debating in your hearts? (WEY)
Luke 6:29 If a man gives you a blow on one side of your face, then let the other side be turned to him; from him who takes away your coat, do not keep back your robe. (Root in BBE NIV)
Luke 8:37 All the people of the surrounding country of the Gadarenes asked him to depart from them, for they were very much afraid. He entered into the boat, and returned. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 8:39 "Return to your house, and declare what great things God has done for you." He went his way, proclaiming throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 10:6 If a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 11:24 The unclean spirit, when he has gone out of the man, passes through dry places, seeking rest, and finding none, he says,'I will turn back to my house from which I came out.' (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 12:58 For when you are going with your adversary before the magistrate, try diligently on the way to be released from him, lest perhaps he drag you to the judge, and the judge deliver you to the officer, and the officer throw you into prison. (See NAS NIV)
Luke 16:2 He called him, and said to him,'What is this that I hear about you? Give an accounting of your management, for you can no longer be manager.' (See RSV)
Luke 17:4 If he sins against you seven times in the day, and seven times returns, saying,'I repent,' you shall forgive him." (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 17:15 One of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice. (Root in WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 17:18 Were there none found who returned to give glory to God, except this stranger?" (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 17:31 In that day, he who will be on the housetop, and his goods in the house, let him not go down to take them away. Let him who is in the field likewise not turn back. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 21:13 It will turn out as a testimony for you. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS)
Luke 22:32 but I prayed for you, that your faith wouldn't fail. You, when once you have turned again, establish your brothers." (Root in WEB ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 23:48 All the multitudes that came together to see this, when they saw the things that were done, returned home beating their breasts. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 24:52 They worshiped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
John 2:16 And to the pigeon-dealers He said, "Take these things away. Do not turn my Father's house into a market." (WEY NIV)
John 12:22 Philip came and told Andrew, and in turn, Andrew came with Philip, and they told Jesus. (WEB NIV)
John 12:40 "He has blinded their eyes and he hardened their heart, lest they should see with their eyes, and perceive with their heart, and would turn, and I would heal them." (WEB WEY ASV YLT RSV NIV)
John 16:20 Most certainly I tell you, that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice. You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 3:19 "Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, so that there may come times of refreshing from the presence of the Lord, (WEB ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 3:26 God, having raised up his servant, Jesus, sent him to you first, to bless you, in turning away everyone of you from your wickedness." (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 6:3 Therefore select from among you, brothers, seven men of good report, full of the Holy Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. (See NIV)
Acts 7:45 which also our fathers, in their turn, brought in with Joshua when they entered into the possession of the nations, whom God drove out before the face of our fathers, to the days of David, (WEB ASV BBE NAS RSV)
Acts 8:25 They therefore, when they had testified and spoken the word of the Lord, returned to Jerusalem, and preached the Good News to many villages of the Samaritans. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Acts 9:35 All who lived at Lydda and in Sharon saw him, and they turned to the Lord. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 11:21 The hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number believed and turned to the Lord. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 12:25 Barnabas and Saul returned to Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their service, also taking with them John whose surname was Mark. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 13:8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn aside the proconsul from the faith. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 13:13 Now Paul and his company set sail from Paphos, and came to Perga in Pamphylia. John departed from them and returned to Jerusalem. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 13:46 Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, and said, "It was necessary that God's word should be spoken to you first. Since indeed you thrust it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 14:15 "Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to the living God, who made the sky and the earth and the sea, and all that is in them; (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 15:16 'After these things I will return. I will again build the tabernacle of David, which has fallen. I will again build its ruins. I will set it up, (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 15:19 "Therefore my judgment is that we don't trouble those from among the Gentiles who turn to God, (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 19:26 You see and hear, that not at Ephesus alone, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul has persuaded and turned away many people, saying that they are no gods, that are made with hands. (Root in WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Acts 20:21 and urging upon both Jews and Greeks the necessity of turning to God and of believing in Jesus our Lord. (Root in WEY BBE NIV)
Acts 21:21 They have been informed about you, that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children neither to walk after the customs. (See NIV)
Acts 26:18 to open their eyes, that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive remission of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in me.' (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 26:20 but declared first to them of Damascus, at Jerusalem, and throughout all the country of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, doing works worthy of repentance. a perverse and crooked generation. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 26:24 And as he thus made his defense, Festus saith with a loud voice, Paul, thou art mad; thy much learning is turning thee mad. (Root in ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Acts 27:25 Therefore, sirs, cheer up! For I believe God, that it will be just as it has been spoken to me. (See NAS)
Acts 28:27 For this people's heart has grown callous. Their ears are dull of hearing. Their eyes they have closed. Lest they should see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their heart, and would turn again, and I would heal them.' (WEB WEY ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Romans 5:12 What follows? This comparison. Through one man sin entered into the world, and through sin death, and so death passed to all mankind in turn, in that all sinned. (WEY)
Romans 11:23 Moreover, if they turn from their unbelief, they too will be grafted in. For God is powerful enough to graft them in again; (WEY)
Romans 11:26 and so all Israel will be saved. Even as it is written, "There will come out of Zion the Deliverer, and he will turn away ungodliness from Jacob. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NIV)
Romans 15:27 Yes, they have kindly done this, and, in fact, it was a debt they owed them. For seeing that the Gentiles have been admitted in to partnership with the Jews in their spiritual blessings, they in turn are under an obligation to render sacred service to the Jews in temporal things. (WEY)
Romans 16:17 Now I beg you, brothers, look out for those who are causing the divisions and occasions of stumbling, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and turn away from them. (WEB ASV DBY YLT NAS)
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be imitators of me, in so far as I in turn am an imitator of Christ. (WEY)
1 Corinthians 11:23 For it was from the Lord that I received the facts which, in turn, I handed on to you; how that the Lord Jesus, on the night He was to be betrayed, took some bread, (WEY)
1 Corinthians 14:27 If any man speaks in another language, let it be two, or at the most three, and in turn; and let one interpret. (WEB ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV)
1 Corinthians 14:31 For you may all be prophets in turn so that all may get knowledge and comfort; (BBE NIV)
2 Corinthians 2:7 so that on the contrary you should rather forgive him and comfort him, lest by any means such a one should be swallowed up with his excessive sorrow. (See RSV)
2 Corinthians 3:16 But whenever one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Corinthians 7:5 For even after our arrival in Macedonia we could get no relief such as human nature craves. We were greatly harassed; there were conflicts without and fears within. (See RSV NIV)
2 Corinthians 8:14 but that, by equalization of burdens, your superfluity having in the present emergency supplied their deficiency, their superfluity may in turn be a supply for your deficiency later on, so that there may be equalization of burdens. (WEY NIV)
2 Corinthians 9:3 Still I send the brethren in order that in this matter our boast about you may not turn out to have been an idle one; so that, as I have said, you may be ready; (WEY)
Galatians 4:9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, why do you turn back again to the weak and miserable elemental principles, to which you desire to be in bondage all over again? (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Galatians 5:13 You however, brethren, were called to freedom. Only do not turn your freedom into an excuse for giving way to your lower natures; but become bondservants to one another in a spirit of love. (WEY DBY NAS)
Philippians 1:19 For I know that this will turn out to my salvation, through your supplication and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Philippians 2:19 But, if the Lord permits it, I hope before long to send Timothy to you, that I, in turn, may be cheered by getting news of you. (WEY)
Colossians 4:16 And when this Letter has been read among you, let it be read also in the Church of the Laodiceans, and you in turn must read the one I am sending to Laodicea. (WEY NIV)
1 Thessalonians 1:9 For they themselves report concerning us what kind of a reception we had from you; and how you turned to God from idols, to serve a living and true God, (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Timothy 1:6 from which things some, having missed the mark, have turned aside to vain talking; (Root in WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Timothy 5:15 For already some have turned aside after Satan. (Root in WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Timothy 6:20 Timothy, guard that which is committed to you, turning away from the empty chatter and oppositions of the knowledge which is falsely so called; (Root in WEB ASV BBE NIV)
2 Timothy 1:15 This you know, that all who are in Asia turned away from me; of whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
2 Timothy 2:2 All that you have been taught by me in the hearing of many witnesses, you must hand on to trusty men who shall themselves, in turn, be competent to instruct others also. (WEY)
2 Timothy 2:19 But God's strong base is unchanging, having this sign, The Lord has knowledge of those who are his: and, Let everyone by whom the name of the Lord is named be turned away from evil. (Root in BBE NIV)
2 Timothy 3:5 holding a form of godliness, but having denied the power thereof. Turn away from these, also. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT)
2 Timothy 4:4 and will turn away their ears from the truth, and turn aside to fables. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Titus 1:14 not paying attention to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn away from the truth. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Hebrews 12:25 See that you don't refuse him who speaks. For if they didn't escape when they refused him who warned on the Earth, how much more will we not escape who turn away from him who warns from heaven, (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
James 3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. (KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NIV)
James 5:19 Brothers, if any among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, (Root in WEB YLT NAS)
James 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death, and will cover a multitude of sins. (Root in WEB BBE YLT NAS NIV)
1 Peter 3:11 Let him turn away from evil, and do good. Let him seek peace, and pursue it. (WEB WEY ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Peter 2:21 For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after knowing it, to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Peter 2:22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb, "The dog turns to his own vomit again," and "the sow that has washed to wallowing in the mire." (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Jude 1:4 For there are certain men who crept in secretly, even those who were long ago written about for this condemnation: ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying our only Master, God, and Lord, Jesus Christ. (Root in WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS)
Revelation 1:12 I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. Having turned, I saw seven golden lampstands. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Revelation 3:10 Because in spite of suffering you have guarded My word, I in turn will guard you from that hour of trial which is soon coming upon the whole world, to put to the test the inhabitants of the earth. (WEY)