|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To cut, clip, or sever anything from with shears or a like instrument; as, to shear sheep; to shear cloth.
2. (v. t.) To separate or sever with shears or a similar instrument; to cut off; to clip (something) from a surface; as, to shear a fleece.
3. (v. t.) To reap, as grain.
4. (v. t.) Fig.: To deprive of property; to fleece.
5. (v. t.) To produce a change of shape in by a shear. See Shear, n., 4.
6. (n.) A pair of shears; -- now always used in the plural, but formerly also in the singular. See Shears.
7. (n.) A shearing; -- used in designating the age of sheep.
8. (n.) An action, resulting from applied forces, which tends to cause two contiguous parts of a body to slide relatively to each other in a direction parallel to their plane of contact; -- also called shearing stress, and tangential stress.
9. (n.) A strain, or change of shape, of an elastic body, consisting of an extension in one direction, an equal compression in a perpendicular direction, with an unchanged magnitude in the third direction.
10. (v. i.) To deviate. See Sheer.
11. (v. i.) To become more or less completely divided, as a body under the action of forces, by the sliding of two contiguous parts relatively to each other in a direction parallel to their plane of contact.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
See SHEEP; SHEEP TENDING.
Shear (5 Occurrences)
Genesis 31:19 Now Laban had gone to shear his sheep: and Rachel stole the teraphim that were her father's. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Genesis 38:13 It was told Tamar, saying, "Behold, your father-in-law is going up to Timnah to shear his sheep." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 15:19 All the firstborn males that are born of your herd and of your flock you shall sanctify to Yahweh your God: you shall do no work with the firstborn of your herd, nor shear the firstborn of your flock. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 25:4 David heard in the wilderness that Nabal was shearing his sheep. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 7:3 Then Yahweh said to Isaiah, "Go out now to meet Ahaz, you, and Shearjashub your son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool, on the highway of the fuller's field. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)